Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any May 2010 Bandsters?

I'm a little worried about that stage too LOL. Are u hungry at all?

Im not hungry what so ever. I have to force myself to eat or even drink. And then my stomach feels like its going to explode!

I def dont get enough of anything that I am suppose to but Id rather I not throw up.

I am hoping that the swelling goes down and ill be able to eat again.

Im not hungry what so ever. I have to force myself to eat or even drink. And then my stomach feels like its going to explode!

I def dont get enough of anything that I am suppose to but Id rather I not throw up.

I am hoping that the swelling goes down and ill be able to eat again.

YOU WILL BE! I'm just at that stage. Today is the first day I realized I can gulp and gulp thick Protein Shakes and Water without having to sip. Honestly, I'm a little scared. I think this officially means that I can do damage (calorie-wise) and now it's will power from here on out 'til the first fill. Today is the first day of my Bandster Hell.

I'm on two weeks of liquids and then two weeks of mushies, and honestly I am GLAD. If left to my own devices, I'd be eating like the old me within a week, I'm sure. I'm pretty good at sticking to a doctor ordered diet when I know it's temporary.

I have to believe this is perhaps why all the doctors vary their post-op diet instructions. Technically we are physically capable of eating foods after a couple of days, but we're not all mentally capable. Some doctors want a safety net there, I guess. I'm glad mine is one of them, though I would kill for some mashed potatoes right now!

YOU WILL BE! I'm just at that stage. Today is the first day I realized I can gulp and gulp thick Protein Shakes and Water without having to sip. Honestly, I'm a little scared. I think this officially means that I can do damage (calorie-wise) and now it's will power from here on out 'til the first fill. Today is the first day of my Bandster Hell.

I'm on two weeks of liquids and then two weeks of mushies, and honestly I am GLAD. If left to my own devices, I'd be eating like the old me within a week, I'm sure. I'm pretty good at sticking to a doctor ordered diet when I know it's temporary.

I have to believe this is perhaps why all the doctors vary their post-op diet instructions. Technically we are physically capable of eating foods after a couple of days, but we're not all mentally capable. Some doctors want a safety net there, I guess. I'm glad mine is one of them, though I would kill for some mashed potatoes right now!

I am on a week of liquids and I am glad thats it, because I was on 2 weeks pre-op. Then I go to 2 week mushies, then normal food. Im thinking that by the time mushies come around Ill finally be hungry.

I am so excited. I am sitting here at my desk, sipping on some Unjury chicken broth watching the clock. My surgery is scheduled to start in 9 hours at 8:45 am!!! I'm going to try my best to keep busy at work tonight. 4 more hours and then I'll be on my way home to shower, change and be at the hospital by 6:45 am. I am so happy right now!!! :)

My first follow-up office visit was today, and even though I'm down 33 pounds since embarking on this hootenanny, I received a stern talking to today that I am eating too much. Life from now on will be a little food no closer than two hours apart, and no greater than 4 ounces in size. Anything larger stretches the pouch above the band, eventually rendering it worthless. And any bites larger than a pencil eraser will get stuck in the band once the doctor starts filling it with saline. I carefully explained that my life currently consists of driving for days on end and speaking at beef and chicken banquets. It was carefully explained right back to me that, while the surgeon said I should be able to eventually eat steak again, he is not the person who gets the crying 3 AM phone calls that a piece of steak was stuck in the band, unable to go down or come up for four days.

The big lessons today were: don't get cocky that I have been able to swallow things easily this week, because that will soon come to an end when the fills start; chew everything until it is pulverized before swallowing; and that a four ounce plate of roast beef hash should take 25 minutes to eat.

Hi All...well its 9 days post op...Was a little ruff in the beginning with the gas pain and such..However, now I'm at the mushys. I actually get to have eggs OR an egg today (1/2 of egg?) At least thats what my nutrionist advised. Starting to feel hungry as the swelling has gone down. I still have some port pain... it was actually more of an ache yesterday. Finally driving myself around which is a little uncomfortable with the seat belt and having to turn the body to look certain ways. But all in all, not too bad. Getting ready to start my walking around the block, I still get tired easily but I think its because I'm having issues with the protien drinks. Has anyone else noticed that all we can drink or eat for the first two weeks is really sweet!? ugg... Jello, ice pops, pudding, Isopure, now shakes. For someone who doesn't like too much sweetness sure has to have a lot of it. Anywho...getting concerned that now that my tummy growls I might revert to the old food machine..(HAHAHAA) But since I'm afraid to eat for fear of throwing up I think I might be alright. How about your sense of smell????? Doesn't EVERYTHING smell good? Sheesh drives me insane. Also, to everyone, make sure you check your scale batteries if you have one like that. I was jumping for joy the other day, said I was down 11 lbs since surgery turned out my battery was going...replaced it and to my immense disappointment I was only down 7 lbs, but hey thats a pound a day.

Also, one last note, I had my first alcoholic drink (with my docs approval) said be very careful, ya know, one addiction for another, and you can get trashed quick cuz your not eating. So I bought Mango slushy mix added ice and a little vodka and bam! I was good. Only had 2 in like 4 hours (very filling) but I made sure I ate my Jello, shake and Soup prior to having one. Be responsible. Good luck and I'll check in again with another update in a few days.

:rolleyes::thumbup:

Hi All...well its 9 days post op...Was a little ruff in the beginning with the gas pain and such..However, now I'm at the mushys. I actually get to have eggs OR an egg today (1/2 of egg?) At least thats what my nutrionist advised. Starting to feel hungry as the swelling has gone down. I still have some port pain... it was actually more of an ache yesterday. Finally driving myself around which is a little uncomfortable with the seat belt and having to turn the body to look certain ways. But all in all, not too bad. Getting ready to start my walking around the block, I still get tired easily but I think its because I'm having issues with the protien drinks. Has anyone else noticed that all we can drink or eat for the first two weeks is really sweet!? ugg... Jello, ice pops, pudding, Isopure, now shakes. For someone who doesn't like too much sweetness sure has to have a lot of it. Anywho...getting concerned that now that my tummy growls I might revert to the old food machine..(HAHAHAA) But since I'm afraid to eat for fear of throwing up I think I might be alright. How about your sense of smell????? Doesn't EVERYTHING smell good? Sheesh drives me insane. Also, to everyone, make sure you check your scale batteries if you have one like that. I was jumping for joy the other day, said I was down 11 lbs since surgery turned out my battery was going...replaced it and to my immense disappointment I was only down 7 lbs, but hey thats a pound a day.

Also, one last note, I had my first alcoholic drink (with my docs approval) said be very careful, ya know, one addiction for another, and you can get trashed quick cuz your not eating. So I bought Mango slushy mix added ice and a little vodka and bam! I was good. Only had 2 in like 4 hours (very filling) but I made sure I ate my Jello, shake and Soup prior to having one. Be responsible. Good luck and I'll check in again with another update in a few days.

:ohmy::thumbup:

Hey...I totally understand EVERYTHING you just said.

I had my surgery on the 12th and I still have pain where the port is but it's A LOT better. I'm actually about to start doing Zumba soon, I just want this pain to go away before I start. I started mushy foods on the 7th day (my nutritionist said it was okay) because I was feeling so hungry. I did fine, I'm actually eating pretty much anything now...the only problem I have had is with bread and chicken. Oh man when the chicken got stuck I had horrible pain in my back and my chest! OH and don't be dumb like me and drink something when that happens! lol NOT COOL! :rolleyes:

I have lost 17lbs since the pre op diet/ surgery and I'm not losing anymore so I can't wait for my first fill! I really want to get to that "sweet spot" asap...I know I need to be patient, I just have pretty much no restriction so I can eat a lot right now and I hate it! I know I'll get there eventually though. :rolleyes: My nutritionist also said when the doctor starts putting saline in the band I'll probably have more problems with food so that's the only thing I'm not looking forward to...food getting stuck sucks!

Anyhoo I wish you luck!

My first follow-up office visit was today, and even though I'm down 33 pounds since embarking on this hootenanny, I received a stern talking to today that I am eating too much. Life from now on will be a little food no closer than two hours apart, and no greater than 4 ounces in size. Anything larger stretches the pouch above the band, eventually rendering it worthless. And any bites larger than a pencil eraser will get stuck in the band once the doctor starts filling it with saline. I carefully explained that my life currently consists of driving for days on end and speaking at beef and chicken banquets. It was carefully explained right back to me that, while the surgeon said I should be able to eventually eat steak again, he is not the person who gets the crying 3 AM phone calls that a piece of steak was stuck in the band, unable to go down or come up for four days.

The big lessons today were: don't get cocky that I have been able to swallow things easily this week, because that will soon come to an end when the fills start; chew everything until it is pulverized before swallowing; and that a four ounce plate of roast beef hash should take 25 minutes to eat.

I am SO thankful that I read your post!

I'm also able to eat a lot and swallow easily and it's making it very hard to stop eating when I don't feel full.

I actually can't wait for my first fill but I'm scared of it too. lol I'm just glad you posted this because it's what I needed to hear (or see). Thank you!! :rolleyes:

I was banded on 6 May, I too got so sick of sweet stuff - when dr said I could go to mushy - I had some v8 juice - it tasted sooo good. Then went to TX for niece graduation, the guacamole and hot sauce were wonderful.

I hear all of what you both are saying. Man the smell of pizza yesterday Zwas soooo hmmmm...LOL but I too have the food police living in my house. I actually chased my daughter down for a french frie. I just wanted a bite. LOL But I did chew it until it disolved in my mouth, oh yeah I also sucked on a MCD french frie LOL... just one. LOL I get my first fill on June 25th and I can't wait. I too want that "sweet spot" Zumba looks like fun but cant find any classes around here. I have some pilates and yoga videos and want to start them but I'm afraid of the strentching...so I have one of those dumbbells that shake (shakerwieght) I use that for the upper body, arms chest. You can feel that thing in seconds, highly recommend.

Anyway, still scared to eat too much NEW foods so I'm sticking to the basics for now. I heard through this website that a lot banders wish they took the beginning stages a little more seriously because the weight loss does taper off. So my advise, stick to your nutrionists words more so than your talking stomaches...hehehe (mine was really loud yesterday)...eventually we'll all be able to eat what we want in smaller amounts and still lose but we might as well take full advantage of these early weeks of liquids to shake off a good portion of it.

Good Luck

I'm 3 days post-op and feeling great. I went to Mexico for surgery. I walked in wanting the band and decided that morning to get the gastric sleeve instead.

My post-op instructions are the same, though. Liquids for 2 weeks! I am totally experiencing post-op hunger/gas confusion. I think most of it is gas. My only concern is getting enough Protein so it looks like I'm going to try to stick to chicken broth instead of just Water.

There were two other women who were banded the same day and we all seem to be doing great (6 people total - 4 people switched to the sleeve once we got to the hospital/clinic).

I went to Mexico to Dr. Almanza - FABULOUS! The staff was fantastic, the facility was clean, and the recovery house was an added treat where we were fully pampered and cared for before we departed for home.

I highly recommend Dr. Almanza if you haven't found a surgeon yet.

How are you guys getting your Protein in?

Chels

H E L L O! Where are all the May bandsters???? ....post an update on how far out you are and how you are doing!

Banded May 3rd!!!!! Everything has been going good, down about 15lbs have been working out at the gym almost everyday now. Clothes feeling alot looser. Still having alot of gas not sure if that is normal or not!!!!! Trying to stay motivated, thought the weight would come off a little faster than it has been.

Had surgery May 27th - my doc told me prior to surgery that I could have anything liquid (including instant breakfast) after surgery. That said, I noticed stomach pain when I did milk Protein products and could only do one per day. The Isopure from GNC (Grape) with ice has been a lifesaver.

The thing that is the hardest is I am hungrier than ever! I actually snuck a piece of chocolate yesterday (day 4 post-op) and it was so painful last night that I learned my lesson.

The one thing that has changed for me since surgery is that all those people who think WLS is the EASY way are so mis-informed. This is harder than any diet I have ever done. More painful and more difficult. It is also my last resort. I have heard the LB described as a shock collar for overeaters - it is so true.

The good news is after my little cheat yesterday (I made sure the chocolate was liquified before it went down) I realize that I don't have the room to cheat on this plan. So today I am back to Clear Liquids to go easy on my stomach. Listening to my body. I can say for sure that having the 40 grams of Protein in one bottle of Isopure has saved me - because constantly sipping it has made me less hungry and I am doing ok energy wise.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is bending down to pick something up off the floor 5 days post op- did that this morning and OUCH!

I am really looking forward to tomorrow when I can have pudding and full liquids (yogurt, etc.) for two more days and then soft food puree after that.

I also picked up a great book called Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery from Amazon and I am really excited to try the food in there - she offers instructions on everything from the puree stage of your diet to full foods and it is a little "foodie" but hey, if I am going to completely change my food lifestyle it is going to be fun to cook very good food while losing weight.

I guess that's it. Pain hasn't been that bad - my doc put pain medication directly into my incisions which wore off about 8pm the day of surgery but I think it helped A LOT - post op pain hasn't been so bad. I am doing 800 mg of liquid motrin every 8 hours - that has helped a lot with the swelling.

I still can't believe I did this but know now I can't go back so I might as well move forward.

I actually gained 5 pounds in the hospital from the IV which put me up to 270 - with the liquid diet I am now down to 258 this morning - 5 days out - thinking that weight loss may go away after I switch to pureed food before my first fill...

So glad to read about everyone else. It is nice to know I am not alone in this journey.

Banded May 4th. Doing great, feeling stronger every day. First week was kinda tough, then back to work at the beginning of week two was a mistake. Still kind of fuzzy from the anesthesia, I reckon, and from living off no nutrients whatsoever. Doc said I could start Protein Drinks again, so that helped a lot. Today is my four-week anniversary from surgery, and (according to my surgeon's instructions), I can now start on solids. I had 2 weeks of liquid, 2 weeks of mushies. As posted in another thread, I started a few solids over the weekend and think I seriously irritated my banded area. Yesterday and today I've been back to liquids/soups, and I'm feeling better. I went by the surgeon's office this morning to weigh, and talked to the nurse about it. She said it sounds like what happens sometimes, and I did the right thing by going back to liquids. One of the things I ate was some pepper jack cheese, so what I'm feeling is possibly a combination of irritated band area and maybe some reflux or heartburn. I didn't stop to think that jalopeno pepper might not be an ideal food to introduce back into my stomach that has been virtually empty for six weeks! Anyway, I'm feeling better in that regard. I lost 20 lb before surgery (required by doc), and have lost 16 since. It really fell off quickly at first, but since adding mushies, it slowed down to a crawl. I've got to get in exercise mode and get my body out of "famine" mentality. Check out my blog for more info! Good luck everyone! I can't wait to go back through this thread and see how we're all faring!!! Go May Bandsters!!! :rolleyes: