Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won't lose the weight..

Did you say this to yourself? Did you think in the beginning that there was no way you'd lose all your weight?

My band is 3 weeks old, down 10lbs since surgery and I know it is a slow process BUT did you ever think in the beginning that it would never happen for you?

I go for my first fill this coming Wednesday. I already have 3cc's in from surgery.

Yes I gained weight before my first fill, I thought I had just paid $10k for a failed diet. But once I started getting fills and eating right I started losing 2 pounds a week and everything was fine, you will do good, just don't get discouraged.

Oh, yep! I still kind of feel that way sometimes! I thought, "Oh no, my band didn't take." Heh. I'm right now matched up on pace for my weekly weight loss goals, and I have that creeping doubt still there, thinking that things may go awry. Bandster hell, oh boy!

Leigha, when was your surgery?

I'm almost 8 weeks post op...had my second fill today and I have had the same fears! (still do) I feel like the band is never going to work, that I'm just failing at another diet and that my NUT will be disappointed in me.

Welcome to Bandster Hell. :thumbup:

My experience was that the more positive I stayed, the easier it was to eat correctly and exercise. Try to stay optimistic, really play up the small successes. Every time I went down a size or left a "decade" behind on the scale, it was very motivating. I went through that initial period with no restriction, but it will improve after you get a fill and are able to start exercising.

No. I may be an anomaly, but for me, the band has always represented success. I've never doubted that I will lose with it. And remaining positive about it has helped me lose even without restriction. Even when it hasn't been doing its job, knowing it's there has been enough of a light at the end of the tunnel for me to stick to my plan.

I always knew it would work. I always knew it would take time. So I made the best use of the time possible, knowing that, in the end, it would do its job and take the burden off me.

For me....YES...I was convinced that I would be "the only person" that the band did not work for. I remember reading through the forums before I had my surgery and seeing that this was not an uncommon fear. That made me feel a little better.

I am having success with my band, but it is definitely a partnership. I don't eat "junk" and when I eat regular food my band stops me from eating too much. I am "lucky" that my problem foods were not ice cream, Cookies or cake (things that go down easily) but were things with substance (bread!!!). That has made things easier for me.

Good luck! You have a lot of people to turn to for support on the forums! *hug*

I believe very strongly in the Law of Attraction, so for me....I never allowed myself to believe that it wouldn't work. It does work, it will work.....believe it and you will see it!

Two Easters ago I was a size 20.....this Easter, I'm a size 6....it will happen for you!

Sure, I had a lot of doubt, but also a lot of determination.

I told everyone I got the Band so it would be embarrasing if I failed. I put myself out there as the guy that had surgery.

Despite this determination, I still wonder if I can lose 100 pounds. Or can I get to my goal which would be 145 pounds lost. All this, even after losing 76 pounds so far. I will probably alway have doubt. Just have to overcome it with my determination to win.

I sometimes have a hard time seeing the loss in my mirror. I really only notice it in my clothes size, scale and the hundreds of NSV's I encounter.

Last night, I went to a hockey game in a local arena. I noticed halfway thru the first period that I did not touch both sides of the seat and was really kind of pressed up against one side of the seat. Then I saw a guy that I did not think look bigger than me squeeze into a seat in front of me and press both arm rests. Wow, did I feel successful.

To you new bandsters, have the doubt, but overcome it with determination. Don't be afraid to succeed, but know success comes with hard work and discipline. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

TJ

I think a little doubt is healthy and normal. I'm a very motivated and positive person, and I don't think there was anything wrong that I was unsure of my surgery success for a bit there.

I'm the type of person that always wants to know "why?" and "how?," so when I hit little two-week stalls (this seems to be my pattern so far! Lose three pounds, stay the same for two weeks, lose three pounds, stay the same for two weeks, heh), I'm examining and analyzing.

I'm going on record to say I believe it's okay to doubt, but don't let it own you. Get motivated, and learn from the doubt. Why do you doubt? That can answer a lot of deep lingering questions. I know for me it did. I doubted because I was in a no-good relationship the last 7 years. I knew it was time to cut that loose, and do it for ME! Don't allow the doubt to stick around. Don't let yourself down. You're MORE than worth it.

Edited by sawyer77
typos (ack!) and clarification

I believe very strongly in the Law of Attraction, so for me....I never allowed myself to believe that it wouldn't work. It does work, it will work.....believe it and you will see it!

Two Easters ago I was a size 20.....this Easter, I'm a size 6....it will happen for you!

Wow, congrats on your wonderful weight loss. I am getting banded April 7 and I am so ready. A year from now I hope to be half the person I am today! :bored:

I am day 3 post op and I already cheated!! I had to get that off my chest! My doc has me on Clear Liquids and Jello for 1 day pre op and a week post. I was so hungry yesterday that I had 2 tablespoons of hummus. I mean, that's not going to kill me, right? Today I am not very hungry but the fact that on day 3 I cheated has me nervous. I know I have serious food issues and I am seeing a psychiatrist but is this a sign of things to come? I want to eat healthy and i enjoy working out. I think once I get through the liquid phase I'll be fine. Any thoughts? Am I doomed?

I don't think there was anything wrong that I was unsure of my surgery success for a bit there.
I don't think so, either--there's a huge range of "normal" in terms of response to the band.

Just look at how broad the different physician recommendations are! There's no right way, no wrong way (other than wholesale noncompliance)--and no right or wrong way to feel.