Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think im getting a little discouraged..

So I was banded 3/2/10 and on my one week post op I lost 16 lbs.. I do not own a scale and my next Dr appt is on 4/14 so I will not know my progress till then. So items of clothing are becoming loose but I dont feel like Im making too much progress. I know I am not a bunch out but I feel I could be doing better.

This being overweight is killing me, my son is gonna be 2 in April and just right before I had him I was only 120 lbs (here are some old pictures of me in my profile) I just want to get back there and fit into my older clothes, when I was only 1 week post op I was down to 194 and I was so happy to be under 200lbs I just dont know what had happened to me.

I feel gross and ugly and FAT especially. I dont like the clothes that I fit into I dont like a lot of things about myself. I was on anti-depressants and just this past wednesday the doctor decided to not continue these meds. He feels as I continue to lose weight and everything my depression will lighten and finally go away.

I keep thinking to myself... what if that doesnt happen? I dont want to wait until next summer to hopefully have lost a good amount of weight to look decent in any clothing.

I just dont know. =(

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie….

Look at the quote in your own signature at the bottom…..you have just taken the FIRST step in your own journey.

The journey is gonna take a while. You are brand new into this process, and you have to be aware that it is going to take some time to achieve the results that you desire.

16 pounds in within your FIRST month with no fills is FANTASTIC!

You have nothing to be disappointed in. People lose weight with the Band in very, very different amounts at very different speeds. But I would have to say that you are one of those that might end up on the fast track.

But even if you aren’t and it slows down a bit, I think that you are going to do just fine.

This whole thing is a PROCESS and not an EVENT. It takes some time. And to be honest, you don’t really WANT it to happen all that fast. You want your skin to have the time to adjust as you lose weight so you won’t look all stretched out. And there are other health reasons as well.

Just focus on a few months from now when you getting closer to the weight that want to be. Picture yourself playing with your beautiful little son, filled with all the energy and vibrancy you ever wanted. Because if you stick to the rules, it WILL happen.

You are NOT gross or ugly….far from it.

Just give it some time, and look forward to a time in the very near future when you WILL be the person you dream of. I have seen it happen thousands of times…..and I see it happening for you, as well!

S.

I am feeling for you right now! I saw you are at 194 (I'd love to be here right now!!) which is a much lighter weight than most of us start out at! But....in almost 8 months I have lost 60 lbs. So just think...that could be you in just 8 months! Only 10 lbs away from your goal! And I could have done so much better if I had started working out sooner. I didn't get serious about it until about 3 months ago, which makes me so mad at myself! Plus, working out soon will help with your depression issues, I PROMISE!! Been there and I'm over that!! I have 3 boys (twins that are 7 and a 20 month old), a great husband, and I'm a teacher, so I'm a busy girl! Just be patient with youself! It is a slow, frustrating, GREAT process! You are going to be just fine!!! Stick with it and keep in mind that you just started! You will be back in your skinny clothes before you know it!! **chin up**

I am feeling for you right now! I saw you are at 194 (I'd love to be here right now!!) which is a much lighter weight than most of us start out at! But....in almost 8 months I have lost 60 lbs. So just think...that could be you in just 8 months! Only 10 lbs away from your goal! And I could have done so much better if I had started working out sooner. I didn't get serious about it until about 3 months ago, which makes me so mad at myself! Plus, working out soon will help with your depression issues, I PROMISE!! Been there and I'm over that!! I have 3 boys (twins that are 7 and a 20 month old), a great husband, and I'm a teacher, so I'm a busy girl! Just be patient with youself! It is a slow, frustrating, GREAT process! You are going to be just fine!!! Stick with it and keep in mind that you just started! You will be back in your skinny clothes before you know it!! **chin up**

Thanks Spartan and thanks skinny.

Yes a journey does begin with a step. Sadly I had to wait until not to start it. my insurance required 7 month monitored diet. Which did absolutely nothing for me... I think I actually gained and lost and gained and lost with a 1200 cal diet and exercise.

I actually have been working out since my 2 weeks post op, and I feel good when I do. I just dont know I know it will take a lot of time. I am just depressed today.

Thank you all for listening and the support I really truely appreciate it.:o

I wonder is you should go back on your antidepressant. I have mental health issues and know how terrible a depression is. I would revisit the issue with your doctor. I believe giving up the way you used to eat can cause depression. Although I agree that once you loose significant weight and are working out the depression may lift. From your 2 posts, doesn't sound like that's happened yet. I wish you all the best!

I ahve revisited the issue with my Doctors. They prescribed me an anti depressant that I was already on and my insurance didnt cover it that was back in November and I havent been on anything since then.

I do go to therapy every two weeks and I enjoy that, but its the behavioral health doctor is the one who took me off of the antidepressants. I dont go back to him for 3 months.

I am feeling a little better today, although not uout of the woods yet. I was going through clothes and I can find a cheap enough reasonable cute younger loooking store that sells fat clothes. I really hate the way I look when i get dressed because of the fact that I am 23 and i look like Im 50 yrs old because of the clothing that I seem to wear now.. Any suggestions?:thumbup:

Hi, Stevie;

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better today.

Depression is a miserable thing, for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons it’s so bad is because it’s tough, sometimes, to find the long-term solution.

The thing about Weight Loss and depression is that weight loss/dieting (with or without surgery) creates a lot of changes in your body, and it can trigger a biological depression. Add to that the anxiety surrounding any kind of surgery, the lingering effects of the anesthesia, as well as the interaction of any pain medication you might have taken post-surgery, and you have a fertile breeding ground for some significant depression. This is one of the reasons why I STRONGLY recommend that people who undergo Weight Loss Surgery also seek psychotherapy to help them with the various issues that they might encounter, both before and after the surgery.

Antidepressants can work very well. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right one, and for many people it has been found that a single medication is not enough. A “cocktail” approach using multiple antidepressants and perhaps combined with some stimulant medications is being used very successfully these days to help with treatment-resistant depression. I’m not sure what your insurance situation is like, but find a really good psychiatrist, if you can, who will take the time to work with different combinations of medications in an effort to find the one that “fits” for you. The one that you were on before may have worked, but if you do not access to that one now, there are quite a number of other alternatives.

But, the most important thing to do is to always remember that the depression DOES end. It WILL get better. Keep your eye on the prize, move through the bad times, and there will be plenty of good times on the other side.

I have to say that you really do have your hands full right now, and I have the utmost respect for you. A very young Son, a new lap band you are learning to work with, your depression…..you’ve certainly got your plate full. But everything will work out very nicely, if you do your part.

Keep us posted on how things are going…there are a lot people here that want to help, and be supportive for you…..

Keep in touch!

S.

I think Spartan summarized it up perfecrly - It WILL get better. Promise. Just take one day at a time, or even one hour at a time.

You should be proud of all that you've accomplished so far !

We're all here when you need us. That's why these boards are so invaluable ,,,

Let us know how you're doing, We're all SOOOO worth it :-)

I will, I really appreciate all of the support even though it is just a few people. My Husband told me today that he can see a difference in me, although it not too too significant but he can see the weigh starting to come off.

That made me smile. This rainy weather here in New Jersey is also another addition to my stress and depression. I find myself more so depressed when the weather is not nice, especially with my boy being stuck in the house.

Rain Rain go away, leave and never come back!!!! I cant wait for the nicer weather to come back so I have more of a reason to get out and walk and play!

Well Anymore suggestions/insight welcome I will keep everyone posted:thumbup: