Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandster Updates

I was banded March 19th. I started full liquids last evening. I don't know how much I have lost because I am waiting for my post op appt next week. Still having lots of gas, but I think that is from swollowing so many times a day, gas can't help but be introduced in every swollow. Use gas x a lot!! I still cannot walk very far. I went to wal mart today and had to lean on the cart the whole time. If I try to walk without leaning over, my incision and I think my port kinda pull and feel uncomfortable. So, no serious walking yet. I feel hungry pretty much all the time. But, I think that will lessen now that I am on full liquids.

Was banded March 18th and seem to be following the pattern - up and walking an hour after surgery, released that afternoon. Told to walk, walk, walk to help with the gas. Gas has mostly subsided but I do still get those burp/hiccups that seem to get stuck and not happen! Pretty much 100% now except the port incision is still a little tender and seems to poke when I try to bend all the way over - can do everything except tie my shoes! Lost 10 lbs on pre-surgery diet, gained a couple back right afterward but am now down 6 more. On liquids for 3 weeks post-surgery: 4 days of clear, then added yogurt, then can add Protein shakes and cream Soups day 10-21. Never realized how good cream of broccoli can be! No fill until 5/1, not feeling much of any restriction, but getting used to the liquids. . .it felt so good to see that first number on the scale change from a "2" to a "1" this morning!!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpf0CfF/

Edited by KarenCI
add ticker

Hey, I was banded same day as you, the 24th. My belly was bad yesterday too!! I got the ok from Dr and took a chewable Gas X. I passed some gas a few times yesterday & felt MUCH better. Even though it's the abdominal gas, for some reason passing gas the 'usual' way helped tons. My belly is not nearly as tight today and I'm much more mobile. Walking was super painful yesterday & day before with the belly bloating and my chest/shoulder/throat pain (I think that's from that gas too floating up when I stand/walk).

I really think the worst part/days are over for us. Hang in there :)

SOFT food SUGGESTIONS?

Hey guys. I start soft foods tomorrow. So far I am thinking edamame, yogurt, refried Beans, pudding, Protein shakes, fruits (no skin) like banana, and maybe some fish.

Any other suggestions on foods? My Dr. says no red meats, no raw veggies, no breads/pastas for now.

Hi, I was banded on March 19th and have just moved to full liquids...YAY for me!! I can honestly say that my experience has been awesome, I was very sore and port site hurt a little but i tried to ignore it and literally walk thru it. Went to the beach the sunday after surgery and walk a total of 2 1/2 miles while I was there and it really helped a lot with my healing I believe. I went back to work on day 7 and worked a full day with lots of energy ( I am a cosmetologist) . Lost 7 pounds pre-op and 10 pounds since surgery.

Good Luck to all!!!

Hello I was banded March 2nd, and on my one week post op appt I was down 16 lbs. Since then it has been two weeks and I dont have a scale at home so Im not sure of my progress. I go for my first fill April 14th so I am excited for that. It would be sooner but the Dr is away for Easter. Right now I am doing some intense cardio for 30 minutes and eating two meals a day with a Protein supplement for Breakfast. I am taking one a day womens Vitamin as well.

I am at the point where I get frustrated because i cant see the weight coming off fast enough even tho I barely eat. I am on a Full Bariatric diet now, the only things I cant have are breads, pastas, rice, caffine, carbonation, alcohol.:)

Hey guys,

I was banded on March 1st. Had mega pains for the first 5 to 6 days because they found a hernia and repaired it while they were attaching the band. I had gas pains for about 2 weeks....killer!!! I was on liquids for a week, then mushies for 1 week, soft foods for 1 week, and now I'm on regular foods. I get my first fill on March 29th and I'm excited. I've lost 10lbs since surgery (gained 3lbs right after surgery, lost those plus 10). I think my weight loss is going slower because I lost about 30lbs while waiting on my surgery to be approved. I did go to Pappadeauxs yesterday and had crab legs and raw oysters (:)) with no problems. Yay!!!! Bring on the restrictions :w00t:.

Tammy

Hi there -

I was banded on the 25th. The surgery went really well. I was wheeled into the operating room at 10:15 am and walked out of the hospital at 12:15. The only problem that I am having is GAS PAINS!!!! My shoulder, neck, stomach and back hurt something horrible. I am really hoping that this goes away soon.

Not too much incision pain. They found a hernia and fixed that along with the banding procedure. I am just sore if I twist or bend over. Not bad though.....just the DARN GAS.

I am moved from Clear Liquids to full liquids today. I was able to drink two Protein Shakes without too much trouble. I am a little tight and it hurts for about 5 seconds after each swallow (a tightening in the chest)...maybe due to the TRAPPED GAS? I read about the pain associated with the trapped gas, but what the heck!

I have two weeks of liquids and then I can move to mushies. Never has the term "mushies" sounded so good!

Congrats to all of us!

Hi there -

I was banded on the 25th. The surgery went really well. I was wheeled into the operating room at 10:15 am and walked out of the hospital at 12:15. The only problem that I am having is GAS PAINS!!!! My shoulder, neck, stomach and back hurt something horrible. I am really hoping that this goes away soon.

Not too much incision pain. They found a hernia and fixed that along with the banding procedure. I am just sore if I twist or bend over. Not bad though.....just the DARN GAS.

I am moved from clear liquids to full liquids today. I was able to drink two Protein Shakes without too much trouble. I am a little tight and it hurts for about 5 seconds after each swallow (a tightening in the chest)...maybe due to the TRAPPED GAS? I read about the pain associated with the trapped gas, but what the heck!

I have two weeks of liquids and then I can move to mushies. Never has the term "mushies" sounded so good!

Congrats to all of us!

Congrats on your surgery. Believe me, I understand about the gas pains. I am finally able to expel gas and it feels soooo good...LOL!!! In a few weeks, you'll be in heaven. You'll be able to chew (which was the one thing I missed). I did alot of mashed potatoes and oatmeal for my mushies. I ordered the cans of food but ugh! Not very good at all but at least it was only for a week. Be patient, the best is yet to come!!!! Congrats again! We're on our way March Bandsters!!!!

Hey everyone!!

I was banded on the 18th, so I'm 10 days out. First two days were he** on wheels. Feeling really good now, only a bit sore around port area. I've been on full liquids, my first post-op appointment is tomorrow so I'll see if I can transition to mushies. It's been a challenge to keep my Protein high enough on fluids.

I've ordered an exercise dvd for using dumbells. I'm going to ask my Doc when it's o.k. to start the routine, done a little walking not as much as I'd like since the weather is not cooperating.

I've not weighed myself, I'll see the number tomorrow on the Docs scale, my clothes feel more loose. I really need to get over the scale paranoia if I'm going to follow the bunny below...

I was banded on March 12th. The discomfort and pain has definitely subsided. I'm feeling good! I'm down 21 lbs.

Congrats to All! Keep it Up!

Banded 3/9 with no complications. Lost 30 before surgery and only 10 since. Seems I've reached a plateau. Still on puree until 3/31 then soft foods for a week or so. First fill is on 4/14 and the nurse told me I had to be eating solid foods for at least 48 hours prior to my first fill...but for the 4 -5 days following the fill I have to go thru Clear liquids(day 1), Full liquids(day 2) and so on...so what difference does it make if I can eat solids prior to the first fill? I've gotten so many conflicting sound bites from my surgeon's staff I had to make an appt with my own nutritionist.

Wasn't hungry at first, but the past week has been hell as I am ravenous!

I was banded March 12th. I had gas pains for about 4-5 days and my incisions are now ichy as all get out!!!

I did have one problem today, I am on a mixture of soft foods and mushies and I got "stuck" today on sushi :o Once it came back up I felt okay, but will not be doing sushi again...I have actually had some problems with pain after swallowing so I am going to call the doc tomorrow and find out if I should go back to all mushies...I just get so tired of Soup and shakes lol!

Hope everyone is well.

I am 6 days post-op. It's kind of weird to think that I'm post-op. It's surreal. My surgery date was March 22nd. I stayed the night (for peace of mind) and was walking 2-3 hours after arriving in my room. I too got the hiccups which was killer.

The first 2 days were good besides the fact that I had gained about 8-9 pounds and was having gas but, I wasn't hungry.

The 3rd-4th days were a little worse because I was nauseous and having a hard time taking deep breaths in but it went away. I think these were my worse days. I tend to over think what was going on which made it worse than what was really happening.

The 5th day was better. I was feeling fine and my hunger came back. But it was easily fixed with a Protein Shake. Which, I will be on for 16 days post-op. I'm already dreaming about food. My next phase will be mushies I think. My class is on 3/31 and on 4/7. I don't know which class will talk about my next phase. Like rldm, I also miss chewing. I can't wait.

Today, my 6th day, I'm feeling so much better. I think I will be able to get out of the house today. I'm having cabin fever. Maybe a nice walk on the pier. Too soon for sand. Also, I'm very impressed by my doctors incisions. They look better than I thought they would.

I think the hardest thing now is trying to get my 64oz of Water each day and dreaming too much of food.

I had surgery on March 26 only 2 days post op and still having a lot of gas pain. My incision site doesn't hurt at all. I'm still on a full clear liquid diet for a week. I haven't taken any Protein yet but will start tomorrow. My start weight was about 218 lbs. Day of surgery I weighted 199 and today I weight 195.