Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enlarged liver, screwed already?

With all the info I've been researching here, the size of your liver seems to be of great importance. A long time ago I was told that I had an enlarged liver, wasn't of great concern I was told, just a fact. Now that I'm taking steps to try to get banded by Dr. K in Colorado, I'm learning that this may be a big problem. Can it be a "deal breaker" for me? I'm going to try to have it diagnosed again (locally) and see just where I stand. I know many of the pre-op diets are designed to shrink the liver, but Dr. K's sounds like a basic Atkins plan which won't be a problem for me as I've done it quite often. Maybe I will need to be put on a more rigorous plan like some of the lengthy liquid diets many of you on here have had to go through for your pre-ops. I'm just hoping it won't be a "Can't do the procedure" situation, I have been getting more and more excited about having the surgery and now have this dark cloud looming over me. Any others out their overcome enlarged livers or get the doctors blessing to have the surgery anyway?

Can I just make the point, before I comment, that I am NOT a medical doctor, and anything I say should be checked out with your physician.

Having said that, I was given literature prior to banding which specified that the reason for the liver shrinking diet immediately prior to surgery was to ensure that the band could be fitted laporoscopically (via keyhole surgery) and the warning ws very clear - if you don't stick to this diet and your liver stays large you might not be able to have laporoscopic surgery cos the liver might get in the way. Bigger skin cuts and more/larger muscle cuts= more chance of infection and possibly slower rehab.

Having said that, the liver is a major storage organ for glycogen which is a major source of our energy. Many, indeed some researchers say MOST obese people have enlarged livers - they have become enlarged due to the amount of glycogen stored there in response to regular large caloric intake. Sometimes, this can led to a form of disease commonly referred to as non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, which has similar consequences to alcoholism but completely different behavioural origins.

When you have less glycogen stored in your liver it will necessarily shrink down. Indeed, I would see this condition as an indication ofthe extant need for bariatric modification rather than a contra-indication.

Chin up, try not to worry. I had a humungous liver myself and now it is completely normal and a lovely pinky colour, according to the photographs my surgeon showed me. I'm sure yours will soon be just as "attractive" (heh, heh!).

All the best

Don't borrow trouble, bigpops! You may be dealing with a complete non-issue. Has Dr. K expressed concern? I ask, because enlarged liver is very common in people who are obese, and while steps are taken to reduce size prior to surgery to increase maneuverability, most people do manage to achieve sufficient reduction to move forward.

Also, some people simply have larger organs than others---and that probably will not be an issue; a skilled surgeon can work around the innards that present themselves.

That said, Atkins--especially the induction, but also OWL, if done conservatively, carb-wise-- is pretty consistent, carb-wise, with what is recommended for liver reduction. Dr. K may prefer that you do something like my doctor recommends: 2 meals consisting of Protein shakes, then one meal consisting of 4 oz. lean Protein and 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies.

But wait to see what he says. It really may all be a non-issue. Certainly, you want to stay as safe as possible, but you may find that it's not a surgical concern.

Good luck!

:smile2:There you go, Bigpops, good old BetsyB agrees with me - and that particular lady knows her onions (and her lap bands).:unsure:

Edited by Ohm
typos

I'd just give a call to your doctor and ask! That way, no worrying about it.

And it *is* possible to have the procedure done as an open procedure if your liver is too big to work around. It's not optimal, but it can be done!

Thanks so much for the quick responses and great info. It's no surprise to any of you that this whole process can be a stressful one and the liver concern just added to it. But your responses have gave me back my excitement and I look forward to moving on and hopefully giving 'post op' reports in the near future. This site has really increased my knowledge and confidence towards the whole lap band surgery process. Thanks so much.

I know of someone who went into be banded but the surgery was not completed due to an enlarged liver. She then later went on the "liver-shrinking" diet and was successfully banded.

The liver shrinking diets do work if you follow them diligently. It is also true that many obese people have enlarged livers which is why most surgeons require the liver shrinking diet prior to surgery. You will probably be fine . . . the only difference between you and the majority of the rest of the people who had gotten banded is that you knew about the enlarged liver prior to surgery.

Stick to your pre-op diet, talk to your doctor and you should be golden. Best of luck to you.

One last comment . . . if you are going to have it locally diagnosed just to see where you stand . . . why not go on a liver shrinking diet for two weeks first. It will help jump-start your weight loss and you might just find your liver is an optimal size when you are tested. It can't be a deal-breaker if you resolve the issue in advance. :0)