Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising post lapband- ab workouts

Hi all,

I was banded on Feb 6, 2010. I wanted to know if anyone knows when I can start doing some light ab workouts in my routines?? Any info or suggestions are very welcome.

My weightloss has stagnated and since surgery I have only lost 16 lbs and 17 inches. I want to kick it up a notch with the exercise and really want to tone.

Thanks

Stagnated? You've lost 16 bs and 17 inches in about 6 weeks. I'm sorry, but I can't see any stgnation there. You are doing fabulously and should be patting yourself onthe back! Don't foroget that as you lose weight your ability to lose weight and burn excess calories will be slowed down basically because the heavier you are the more calorie you need to maintain your weight and the more calories you will burn when you exercise.

Well done on your weight loss. Exercise wasa one thing that didn't halt for me when i was banded. I'm a runner, and although i slowed my pace, I didn't stop running when I ws banded - but I have never been a one for ab specific exercises. Running keeps all the muscles toned up in a functional manner - and I couldn't do specific ab exercises because I had been so obese that my tummy muscles had parted all down the front.

Having said that, I have just had that problem fixed and I have been banned from running or any exercise except walking for 6 weeks - and that 6 weeks is up next Friday!!! I can't wait.

Keep up the fabulous weight loss!

I'm not seeing a stall, either--your rate of loss is excellent!

I was cleared for exercise without restriction at 4 weeks postop. Check with your doc, but this seems to be a pretty standard waiting period before beginning ab and/or weight work.

I was cleared to exercise as long as it didn't hurt at my 2 week appointment. **But you should call your doctor's office and ask what their recommendations are for exercise in general and abdominal exercise specifically.**

I teach pilates- and that's a great ab/core/back specific workout.

BUT-- do know that ab workouts (including pilates) don't burn a lot of calories-- so if you are looking to up your weightloss, I'd choose an aerobic activity- like walking or bicycling, group exercise classes (step, aerobics, etc)- that sort of thing. Ab workouts also do *not* specifically get rid of fat on the belly.

I have a lot of people come into my pilates classes and tell me they want to have this great midsection- and I tell them that pilates will tighten/strengthen up those muscles, but as for the layer of fat on top of them... they'll have to go to a different class for that! :cursing: The same is true for other abdominal exercises.

Thank you for your answers everyone. I guess my terminology was not the best, I am not stagnated (I need to stop comparing myself with others' weight loss. I am more concerned with inches than the weight as muscle is heavier than all that fat that I am carrying.

I am going to start the 30 day shred by Jillian Micheals and see how that works for me. (I did call my dr office and they said as long as it doesn't hurt than to do it).

You guys are all awesome on this! :unsure:

For me my provided the following guideline

2 Weeks post op - Cardio (Eliptical, Spin)

4 Weeks post op - Weight (I went fairly hevy with out problems)

6 Weeks post op - Core work outs

Curious - How successful is exercise i.e., lifting, pilates etc with lessening the need for post-weight loss plastic surgery?

Geez, my surgeon is hardcore. He told me (as I was waking up from anesthesia) that he expected me in the gym, doing situps and an hour workout, in 7 days.

I'm on day 6 out and not sure how I feel about doing situps just yet. :unsure:

Curious - How successful is exercise i.e., lifting, pilates etc with lessening the need for post-weight loss plastic surgery?

I don't really know (so I guess I shouldn't post), but my suspicion is that the effect would be minimal. What (I think) plastic surgery does is *mostly* related to loose skin (I know some plastic surgery deals with muscle, though, too). Exercise preserves and builds the muscles underneath the skin (along with burning the fat). If you lose a lot of muscle, you'll be unhealthy and make the loose skin problem worse (since there will be less to support it), but it won't help with the loose skin problem directly.

Skin's resiliency is likely to be mostly a factor of age, amount of stretching and genetics.