Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is anyone NOT weighing themselves?

so.... i'm four days out (banded on march 12) and the last time i weighed was on march 8 or 4 days BEFORE my surgery. we recently moved and the scale was lost in the move. my husband says he knows where it is but usually that means it's really lost. lol so i haven't bought another one yet and am not sure if i want to. i kinda like the idea of not focusing on what the scale says but rather on how i feel and how my clothes fit. i'm going to be weighed by my doc's office at my post op visit on march 24 (7 days from now). i have no clue how much i weigh right now or if i've lost anything since surgery. while i do wanna know if i'm losing i also don't really wanna get focused on a number. is anyone else not weighing except at the doctor? what are ya'll's thoughts on this?:scared2:

Sorry, can't help you there! I weigh obsessively. At least once a day. Maybe I should have my husband misplace my scale!:scared2:

I had surgery on 3/11 and have weighed myself every stupid morning! Honestly, I don't really care about how much I am losing right now. I find myself in a not so nice place right now with these stupid liquids. I'm cranky, missing food and tired.

I know this is all going to pay off but right now I'm in a irratated stage :thumbup:

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to weigh but yet I always do. I dont have a follow up appt for a while. I think I will set a weigh in date for myself. Maybe I'll pick Thursdays?

I bet you are going to be happy with your scale number. It sorta becomes a game for us. Good luck!

How are you doing 4 days out from surgery? I still have alot of that gas in me that is making me a little uncomfortable. :scared2:

I just chewed a peice of popcorn chicken that i was making for my son. I chewed it, savored the taste and spit it out. Gross, i know... i just needed to chew something!!

I was so bloated and swollen after my Lap Band surgery that I was afraid to weigh myself immediately afterward. I knew it would not be accurate. I was also menstruating for 5 days after my surgery, so I definitely was retaining Water. I would have needed a straight jacket if I had gotten on the scale then. :scared2:

The first time I was weighed after I was banded was 9 days later in my doctor's office, and I had lost 12 lbs. Since then, I weigh myself daily, but I don't record my weight except for Mondays, which is my "official" weigh in date. I made it on Monday because it motivates me to be good over the weekend. I still refuse to weigh myself during a certain time of the month, though.

I weigh myself like every other day because since I'm still on liquids I'm dropping weight rapidly and like to see the numbers on the scale. :scared2:

Congrats on not weighing! It is better to wait and be surprised but I am not that disciplined with the scale. I stopped weighing every day, now its about every 3 days or so and I only record on Saturday.

I'm obsessed with weighing myself. I'm going on vacation in two weeks and the scale is coming with me!

Oh yeah I am weighing daily too. It makes me feel like I am doing something. I am losing about a 1 lb a day I think or thereabouts. I just want to lose weight once and for all and keep it off

Its sad but its true, I weigh myself the first thing in the morning every day. Although its crazy sometimes I weigh myself at nite too but not that often. Its just nice seeing the changing of the scales. :scared2:

I weighed in obsessively for the first year (though only recorded my weight "officially" once a week). Now I've kind of backed off, trying to stay off the scale for at least a couple weeks, maybe a month, and just concentrate on how I feel, how my clothes fit, and not the number on that scale.

well, i guess i'm an odd one out on the not weighing thing. i think i will probably go buy a new scale (if the old one hasn't turned up) after i go for my first post op appointment. then i know it will be a battle with myself not to weigh everyday.

dlacny, i can't believe you are taking your scale on vacation with you!!!! that's wild! but hey.... if you need to know, then that's the way to go!!! heck, i might be feeling that way after i start weighing regularly.

luvin, i totally feel you on being in a not so nice place. i'm there, too. being on liquids is horrible. i'm fussy, and cranky, and hungry, and still bloated and still gassy and it's just rotten. totally rotten. i'm ready to move on! last night i went off on my husband because he came home and made chili and the whole house smelled like it and i couldn't eat anything. and everytime he says "i haven't eaten all day..." i cut him a look and remind him that i haven't eaten in over a week! there's no way i'm giving his "since this morning" any sympathy. no way! lol

i do want to know if i've lost anything but i'm terribly afraid i'll get on the scale at the doc's office and find out i'm stuck at the same 233 i was four days before my surgery. that would be so devastating!

I don't weigh myself. I don't even own a scale. The numbers can make me a little crazy. If I happen to gain a pound, it can really discourage me.

Also, because I'm new at this (banded 3/10), I'm just trying to concentrate on my diet and activity. Just getting that straight in my head is keeping me occupied.

I love being surprised at the doctor's office and the numbers are so much larger than if I were to weigh everyday.

Different strokes .. right?

Edited by Drasan

well, i guess i'm an odd one out on the not weighing thing. i think i will probably go buy a new scale (if the old one hasn't turned up) after i go for my first post op appointment. then i know it will be a battle with myself not to weigh everyday.

dlacny, i can't believe you are taking your scale on vacation with you!!!! that's wild! but hey.... if you need to know, then that's the way to go!!! heck, i might be feeling that way after i start weighing regularly.

luvin, i totally feel you on being in a not so nice place. i'm there, too. being on liquids is horrible. i'm fussy, and cranky, and hungry, and still bloated and still gassy and it's just rotten. totally rotten. i'm ready to move on! last night i went off on my husband because he came home and made chili and the whole house smelled like it and i couldn't eat anything. and everytime he says "i haven't eaten all day..." i cut him a look and remind him that i haven't eaten in over a week! there's no way i'm giving his "since this morning" any sympathy. no way! lol

i do want to know if i've lost anything but i'm terribly afraid i'll get on the scale at the doc's office and find out i'm stuck at the same 233 i was four days before my surgery. that would be so devastating!

I avoid the "devastation" by only weighing once a week. I'm going for my first fill tomorrow and thereafter have determined I will only get weighed once a month.

I think weighing yourself every day is emotional suicide (at least it is for me). There are so many factors that affect what you weigh including Fluid intake/output/retention and whether you've had a BM or not. I have friends who get their knickers in a knot when they step on the scale every day and report that "they've gained a pound" or "they've lost a pound". Totally meaningless, since the next morning they might see exactly the opposite. Really, what's the point?? It's just a means of torturing yourself for absolutely no good reason.

I revel every day in this decision I've made to be banded and am looking forward to being able to eat well and be healthy & happy for the rest of my life (what's left of it - at almost 57 I wish I'd done this years ago!). While the number on the scale is, ultimately, important, it's truly not my reason for getting up in the morning. When I'm not obsessed with that number on the scale, I'm much happier and more focussed on the job that lies ahead of me - eating well and learning to live a brand new lifestyle.

Dontgoggilme LOL I can so feel your pain, last night my daughter wanted to bake a cake for my husband Bday today. Then informs me that she needs to bring Fettichini Alfredo for her class of 20 HELLO. I made both didnt cheat wanted to cry.... ..........

i gave in. bought a new scale today. a kinda fancy one,too. it's digital and remembers how much you weighed last time. it says i've lost six pounds since my pre op weigh date (that was four days before my surgery). i guess i'll take that. i mean, it means i've lost six pounds in a 9 days. :cursing: