Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three Days Out and I'm STILL sore!

I hear all of these testimonials saying they are no longer in pain at 2-3 days post-op.

I am NOT one of those women! Every day is getting better, but I am still VERY sore and my port site (in my shoulder) is hurting a lot! I hope that this is normal...can anyone share how long it took before the soreness went away?

Note: I DID have a hernia repair during my surgery so that might have a little to do with it.

I don't have any problem swallowing (as long as it's tiny sips). My doc has me on Clear liquids only until Wednesday of this week.

Help please :wub:

I experienced the same thing. My port incision was inside my belly button, and it was very sore for the first week. I had a hernia repair too.

It does get better and better every day.

Get as much rest as you can, and I hope you feel better soon.

Lauren, each day gets better, I'm 7 days post op and feel fine but didn't until day 5. I also had hernia repaired and incisions hurt just like you. It was also painful for me to breath in, I was fatigued and could barely walk for 5 mins. It will get lots better quickly I promise! Hang in there!

Of course you're still sore! The incisions are tiny, but they're just that: incisions--and there was manipulation done inside your body that you can't even see. Add in muscle soreness from surgical positioning, and so on--and yes, you are sore!

I probably am one of those "I'm fine" people you refer to. But "fine" is relative. I felt SO much better than I expected to feel, and found that my pain was pretty tolerable. But I took pain meds to get moving as much as I could as soon as I could--so my "fine" probably was not a lot different from what you're feeling now.

What you're experiencing is completely normal. And it really does improve rapidly. By Day 10 or so, I really did feel "normal."

I didn't feel 'normal' for a few weeks - don't let the small incisions fool you, it's still major surgery - as for the "I went back to work in 3 days!" testimonials...well, good for them but either they were pumped up on pain killers or they're just quite exceptional.

I was moving around from day one but not without pain - I couldn't actually stand straight for the first week.

i'm four days out and still very sore. my port is right above my belly button and that incision hurts a bit still. i also have a small incision under the center of my breasts that hurst a lot, too. the others don't really bother me. but my whole body feels sore in general and sitting or standing in certain positions for too long hurts. last night was the first night i slept without the pain meds and i think they help alot as i tossed and turned all night without them. i guess i didn't realize how very uncomfortable i still really am. i had a hernia repair, too, so i think maybe that's part of it as well. i hope i start feeling better soon!

I am exactly 14 days out and am still sore at my port incision. It was about 4 days out when I was able to get up on my own without excrutiating pain. It still hurts to bend over. Everyone is different and this recovery has been hard. I thought I was weird when I looked at everyone returning to work a week out...I never could have returned to work then. Just listen to your body and focus on healing.

I am exactly 14 days out and am still sore at my port incision. It was about 4 days out when I was able to get up on my own without excrutiating pain. It still hurts to bend over. Everyone is different and this recovery has been hard. I thought I was weird when I looked at everyone returning to work a week out...I never could have returned to work then. Just listen to your body and focus on healing.

i agree. this recovery is "hard". i've had a c-section and a rough VBAC before and this was almost as bad as either of those! i thought it would be so much easier but boy was i wrong! and i was thinking that maybe it's just me. like maybe i just handle surgeries and medical procedures harder than anyone else. it's so nice to know i'm not the only one who didn't just breeze through it! i'm not "wierd" after all and neither are you!!!! =)

I'm on day 5 post op and my port site is very sore and today i woke up with a very sore left side, making it hard to take in a deep breath.

I am sooo very ready to be back to feeling normal again!

I am 5 days out and I am still sore . Up and down all night. Only went back to work because I had to I wish a had this week off. I am hungry and my belly is making alot of noise. So I can relate with all of you. I dont mean to complain It is just a little bit scarey going through this stuff.

Only one day post op, so this soreness is expected, but I sure hope it subsides very soon. I have been drinking liquids, walking...etc, etc....trying to do everything right.

Anyone use a hot pack on their belly to help with the pain?

What pain meds did you receive?

Thanks..Wayne

Thanks for all the responses!!! Makes me feel sooo much better! I went back to work today..but didn't last very long. I ended up going home at 12pm. I have a conference call in the morning but don't expect to stay long after that either...because I just don't feel like I NEED to be back at work yet!

I am also having some breathing problems...I cannot decide if the shortness of breath is from the pressure my stomach is placing on my lungs or if it is the anesthesia that is messing with my asthma. Before surgery I had exercise-induced asthma but now it's all the time...that's not normal for me!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied and will reply...this site has really been helpful in my journey thus far.

Hello Bandits,

I am six days post op and went back to work today and I was exhausted. I should stayed home but needed to go for an important meeting. I am still a little sore, but definitely feel better than I did on day one.

It will get better, hang in there.

Lorraine

I had mine on 3/12 and I am still awfully sore too. The first day or two were excruciating, and of course everyone I talked to beforehand was very "lalala, I didn't even need Tylenol!" The incisions were a breeze but the port site-owwwwww.

I was sent home with liquid Lortab, which didn't do squat for me. Fortunately the surgeon OK'd me using Motrin, which was so much more helpful.

Today is the first day I'd say I feel human. And hungry. :scared2: I went to see a movie with a friend and she very graciously asked if I minded before getting any food. She got popcorn and I had a shake I sneaked in. I just sat next to her and sniffed. :thumbup:

My surgery was on the 12th (4 days ago) and I am still sore at the end of the day. I wake up in the morning feeling pretty good, perhaps the Vicodin I take before bed, but by late afternoon, I have the worst pain in my rib area and in my shoulder. However, I can get up and move around with no problem today, and I am sure that every day it will continue to get better.

I have to say that this was much more painful than I had expected. I am glad that I took 11 days off work.