Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medicine Questions

Questions regarding whole meds vs. liquid.

I am going to be banded on November 22nd. I did get most of my meds ordered in liquid form. Some I can't do liquid though

how long after will I have to take the liquid form? Can you ever take whole pills again?

Schel from MN.

I'd recommend always taking them in liquid form if you can get them. Your restriction is going to vary, and I could see even an M&M size getting stuck sometimes. You can also cut them up with a pill cutter.

NJChick, good think you specified plain M&M's... I'd hate to think what a peanut M&M size pill could do... :rolleyes::P:)

Depending on your fill level and the size of the pill will determine if you can take the pills or will need to do liquids. I for one can not take a tylenol caplet without it getting stuck. I only have 1.5 cc's in my band. We all are different, I tend to take liquids whenever available, it's not worth it getting stuck.

NJChick, good think you specified plain M&M's... I'd hate to think what a peanut M&M size pill could do... :rolleyes::P:)

I know, HAAA can you imagine, and they are my favorite candy (the pnut ones lol).

I agree with you Anwyn, I would take liquid when I could and break the pills up or even crush them but check with your pharmacist first b/4 crushing any medication.

I was told the same thing, anything smaller than an M&M. I still break tylenol in half and if it is early in the day I take liquid as my band is like an Iron fist in the mornings. I just had my PCP call in amoxicillin in liquid form for an ear infection/upper respritory thing I have going on. The bottles are huge and the tech at walgreens looked at my like I was nuts for getting liquid, I explained to her about my surgery and she made a note in my file about pill size restriction. She also said that most meds are made in liquid form, but the script has to specify liquid, you can't just request it that way. ~Mandy

They actually sell a sugar free liquid tylenol. I think that the tylenol elixir tastes like pure sugar ( I guess so kids will take it). So I called my pharmasist I she recommended Silapap which is the sugar free liquid tylenol. It certainly does not taste as good, but we don't need the added sugars. It was around $20.00 for a huge bottle and you don't need a prescription. Gas x also comes in liquid it is by the maalox section.

I take 5 whole pills every evening. I always take them with my dinner, so that the throat is not too dry and that they move through with the food. Only time I've ever had problems is if I was filled too tightly. Large capsules, I would not risk. M&M is probably a good rule of thumb.