Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your "That's it" Moment?

Mine was beach pictures..

My "a-ha" moment was when I had once again went on a diet and lost 70 lbs, then proceeded to gain back 30, lose 30, gain 30, lost 30 then gained 20 back again. All this after I had lost (and gained) over 350 lbs in the past 25 years. It was just "enough" when I realized that I needed more help than just willpower. I thought "this is just nuts, you need help or your going to end up with the same health issues as your parents". Sick of dieting, sick of no-carb, low-carb, low-fat and counting calories...I really thought this was my last chance as getting my life back.

For all the issues the band can cause, I still think it was the best decision I ever made besides marrying my hubby!

ditto jre1974.years ago when my family went to the amusement park.it was a long line.we got in the seat an the latch,or buckle would not snap close.talking about embrassement,i had to get out of the ride an ocourse i played it off.(someone else can take my ride)the line was long everyone was looking.so if the ground could have open up that moment,that was before i knew about weight loss surgery.what a life saver for me.i had highblood pressure,high cholesteral,an diabetes.

Oh my - this was one of my moments too - went to 6 Flags with daughter & husband, they couldn't latch the bar, had to get off the ride. Smiled and said it was ok - stood and cried while my husband and daughter took their ride. My daughter felt as sorry for me as I did myself. Tried to blow it off, act like it was no big deal . . . it was a VERY big deal. Can anyone say "humiliating"?

Mine moment was after the death of my father. He was not obese, but he did not take care of himself--died of three aneurysms. My mother is the same--obese with sleep apnea, congestive heart failure, medicine induced diabetes, arthritis, and osteoporosis (has a degenerative disc in her back--great pain). After being put on BP meds and my doc saying I was pre-diabetic, that confirmed it for me because I was heading in that direction.

I saw myself on video and about cried. I had been toying with the idea for years, and said, I am just DOING it. Very glad I did. Lost 40, sort of at a plateau, but losing again.

A friend I used to work with had the LB surgery and is now at goal weight and looking awesome!! My son has noticed I don't look like most moms and has been making a ton of comments. Last fall during my husbands open enrollment with work I called around to see which insurance would cover the LB and at what percent. I got my paperwork in and saved money for my portion. I am still early on and waiting for my first fill but so far so good!!

Mine was after I trained 12 weeks and ran a half marathon and weighed more than I did when I started training - for the third time in a year.

I finally got the picture that intake was the problem rather than the output.

Yeah that was my aha moment tooo!!! :tongue2: I trained with Team in Training for five years and the most I was ever able to do was not gain weight!!! The first year I lost some and was happy. I even went to a WLS seminar and looked around and said okay maybe this is not for me. Then, the last year I trained I went from running half marathons to walking a full marathon and gained weight by the end!!! How frustrating!:wub: It was time for a change and I needed help! I had no hesitation when the nutritionist asked me if I was certain I wanted the surgery now. I'm about to do my fifth appointment next week!! I'm getting really excited about having the surgery done soon!

Edited by Kelly22

Mine was pictures. I guess I have some sort of "reverse anorexia" where I see myself as thinner in the mirror than I actually am so I never realized how obese I am. But then I saw myself in photos from a work picnic, and it was horrible. OMG, just horrible. I started looking into the surgery and just had it done last Friday. I can't wait to be one of the normal people in the picture.

My sister had a bypass about five years ago and lost 100 pounds. She no longer has high BP, sleep apnea, back pain, or reflux. I've contemplated the band for about three years but kept chickening out thinking I could do it on my own. I had previously lost a lot of weight on diet pills and Protein Drinks and gained it all back plus 20 pounds. I also have the health problems my sister had, plus a family history of diabetes. My moment was coming to the realization that I was an out of control food addict and needed some serious help to achieve a better quality of life.

I've had similar experiences with rides at amusement parks and looking at photos - but that never quite did the trick. I just stopped going to amusement parks and refused to have my picture taken. My "moment" came when a good friend and I went for coffee after work one day. He said he never understood why I settled down with one guy at such a young age because I was so pretty. I laughed at him. I hadn't been called "pretty" in probably 15 years. That day, I went home and bought a scale. After seeing the whopping 342.8 pop up on the screen, I immediately signed up for a seminar. That was exactly a year ago tomorrow. Today, I'm down almost 100 lbs. Last week I think I got hit on (by someone other than my hubby) for the first time in years! Now I don't mind when my friend tells me I look fabulous - I don't laugh in his face anymore!

Mine was when a friend of ours passed away. He was my age and by outward appearances he seemed to be in better health than me, but dropped dead of a heart attack. I had topped the scale at 301 pounds, my parents were elderly and my family history was getting scary, as well as my cholesterol and blood pressure not being kept under control with my medications any longer. I thought "There but by the grace of God go I."

I had looked at WLS before, but always saw all the changes you had to commit to and thought "no way." Even with the LapBand, giving up soda... are you crazy??? After the death of our friend, I couldn't get to my doc's seminar fast enough.

I started working from home and no longer had to wear regular nice work clothes. i wore pajamas around the house so I never noticed the amount of weight I was gaining. All of a sudden, I went to sit down in my pajama pants and they split in the back. Thank goodness I was alone, how embarrassing! I had been researching the Band for a while but pushed me over the edge. I just had my 1st fill yesterday and feel great!

I was at my high school reunion when one of the girls was telling how her husband had left her for someone as big as "me" and it was humiliating for her. She kept going on and on about it. I was mortified because I hadnt really realized how other people really saw me. I lost about 40lbs after that and then put it all back on when my daughter had a health crisis. This is my broom to sweep my "temple" back into shape!

I had a multitude of "that's it!" moments, very similar to all of you. They all just built on top of each other:

-Noticing that I was becoming winded after climbing a flight of stairs.

-Having trouble buckling in on an amusement park ride.

-Seeing myself in photos and wincing because I did not realize I looked so terrible.

-The DRESSING ROOM at the store. UGH! Watching the sizes go up and up and up!

-Seeing the scale hit higher than EVER before. :-(

I had always had a weight problem, but medications for fibromyalgia just skyrocketed my weight in the last two years. So awful.

In July, I decided to go explore Medically-Managed Weight Loss, an option that was not as severe as surgery. During my consult, I had to tell them all of my medical problems, one of which is chronic vertigo. I was not eligible for their program due to the program medications involved and my vertigo. So, the Nurse Practitioner asked me, "What about surgery?" I had already been bopping it around in my head, but was going to try the Medically-Managed program as a last resort before final consideration. Now that option was off the table, I just dove in! I'm only two months post-op, but I'm so thrilled with my decision. :-)

I had just had a car accident where I broke my right knee and right tibia and fibula. The knee required 3 screws to fix and several months to heal. After I had healed up a bit and was cleared to remove the leg brace I went VA to visit my mom. We were walking everywhere around D.C. and decided to head to the Smithsonian. I was tired by this point with walking and needed to get a wheelchair to take the "weight off" the leg. Well my mom asked a lady at the info desk where we could find a wheelchair to use and she over heard the other lady comment when she turned around say something derogatory about my weight and necessity for the wheelchair. To my moms credit she turned around and gave the lady what she had coming, which was a good schooling* but the incident left it's mark.

When I got back to TX I saw the adverts in the paper for a seminar on the procedure and decided it was worth looking into. I found out that I qualified, my insurance covered it in full, and I really had no reason not to pursue it.

* and by good schooling I mean she was left more humiliated than I as my mom was not quiet about coming to my defense and letting her in on the accident. She also had her out of a job before the day was over. Gotta love Mom!