Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck, did someone say STUCKED!

Yesterday, my daughter and grown g/son came for a visit. Since I don't get to see him very often, we decided to go for lunch at our favorite Chinese eatery. We arrive and were seated close to the buffet bar with all the wonderful smells. My mouth starts to drool at once and of course, I manage to put too much food on my plate. As if I thought I could eat all that much! Anyway, I take a slip or two of my hot & sour Soup and feel okay. Usually, something warm is good for me prior to eating anything. I had chosen some grilled chicken and stir fry broccoli, which is what I always choose. Nothing wrong with that as far as I could see. At least I wasn't woofing down Chinese donuts, which I wanted but refrained from choosing. I took another bite of food and all of a sudden, I was stuck. So, okay, nothing too painful yet, so I figured that I'd just wait for it to pass. As I sat watching my g/son woof down his food with chopsticks and wondering how he could eat so much and so fast with those sticks, the pain began to get worse, so I excuse myself to the ladies room. Slimming a little but nothing too much...however pain gets worse. I begin to think that maybe this isn't a stuck episode but a minor heart attack after all. I go back to the booth and get some papaya tablets to chew, which usually make me feel better. Still have the pain and it's getting stronger now. I'm mentally checking to see if pain is radiating down arm or up the jawline...no heart attack so far....must be still stuck. I try a slip of hot Soup, which I had gotten since my other cup was cold by now. No better luck, so back to the bathroom. Here I am standing in the bathroom, bending over like I'm bowing to the toilet bowl, straightening up and then bowing again. A little slimming but nothing of any amount and no relief in pain. By this time, tears are running down my face. Oh my God, I can't go back to the booth like this.... what am I going to do. After I wash my tears away and go back to the booth, we decide to go since they had finished and I certainly didn't plan to eat ever again in my lifetime. Since I'm the driver, I back out of the parking space and start to drive off. All of a sudden, I felt the need to burp. So I excused the upcoming burp I could feel, and up it came....BROCCOLI and slime. Lots of it, gallons of it, all over my blouse, down my front, on the seatbelt, I couldn't stop it. My daughter is handing me cloths to help me. I realize that I've stopped the car in the middle of the lane, so I pull over to the side so cars can go around. I thought the slime would never stop....but the pain was getting less and less. I couldn't even take a deep breath. Was I going to aspirate on slime...it wouldn 't have surprised me a bit. My g/son is saying "drive to the hospital, drive to the hospital". He didn't understand and he thinks the hospital can cure anything! All at once, I am a human again with no pain, no slimming, and I can still breathe. Hurray, I'm going to live after all.

I thought I had chewed slowly and carefully. To get that stuck with such a small amount was frightening. I can say that I am so happy that I got out of the restaurant before all of this happened. I was embrassed to say the least but my daughter just handing me the cloths and saying "it's gonna be okay, moma". She helped keep me keep calm.

Now ask me...are I am going to eat Broccoli anytime soon!!!!:thumbup:

Edited by LollyMoe

Oh my!! What an experience.

Broccoli is disgusting and nobody should ever eat it!

Thank you for warning others of the evils of broccoli. The fact that it taste like dirty feet doesn't seem to be enough to keep them away. :thumbup:

How horrible for that to have happened to you in public. It has happened to me at home but thank god never while I have been out. I am so sorry. The up side to your story is it could have been a bite of anything, I eat broccoli all the time and broccolini too Thats better) and have no prpblem with any veggies...just gotta chew chew chew!

I was able to handle some broccoli the other day, but to be honest, it was steamed to the point where I could puree it with my fork. In my P.B. (pre-band) days, I would have NEVER eaten it that soft...always preferred a little crunch.

Eeesh, what an experience you had! Sounds like, much to your credit, you handled the whole thing with a lot of grace- if that had been me, it probably would have resembled a scene right out of The Exorcist.

I'm trying to develop a liking for V-8 juice, so I can get in a little extra veggie credit without worry. I was never a Tomato juice fan, so I'm having to doctor the stuff up with lemon juice and hot sauce to make it work...and I'm thinking of adding it to my cooking as well.

Christine

I could have written your post word for word about a year ago!!

I still get things stuck, and barf and slime - in the car, in the parking lot, at home, in the restaraunt, etc... Its very humiliating. And unfortunately, my bf is of no help when in the car... he has a very weak stomach and gets upset with me because I didnt barf back at the restaraunt - If i knew... Would i be doing it in the car??? and getting upset with me? LIKE THATS GONNA HELP THE SITUATION!!!

Anyway, NO more Broccolli, Green Beans, Pea Pods, etc... nothing hard to digest,stringy or causes gas. I can't manage most fruits either...

Anyone else going thru this too ?????

I am so grateful I can still eat my veggies. And I feel so bad that you had to go through that out in the world.

Poor sweet grandson!

I take a daily MUCINEX to help with the mucus. It does help!

I am 3 days Post-Op and had my first instance of being "stuck" today. I went to swallow my blood pressure med, which is not a very large pill, but apparently it went down sideways or something. I felt a little tightness in my chest and then i got the worst case of the Hiccups I have ever had in my life...then came the slime...it passed after about 10 minutes or so, but it was a bit scary the first time not being sure exactly what it was that was happening. Thanks to these blogs though, I had a bit of an idea of what was going on...Good times.. :thumbup:

I have had a bad experience with getting stuck to the point I had to go back to my Doctor and have all my fill removed twice, I have a 10cc band and only had 5.5cc fill, I could not get Water or anything to go down for two days and finally he said he would have to remove the fill. Now I am back up to 4cc fill, but I'm afraid if I get more fill it might happen again. I am only about 13 pounds from my goal. This can be very expensive but so far my insurance has paid. The Doctor charges $395.00 each time I go in.

Oh my goodness, what a story! Most of us can totally relate! Glad it came up in the car and not the booth!

I had to urp into my trash can at work one time. Fortuantely my cubicle mate was gone that day.

I eat lunch yesterday, early as I was taking my son to movies. Thought I was fine. Got as far as our little local town and had to stop at the public toilets as I thought I was suffocating .Got in just in time and brought up a huge amount of slime. Carried on driving the 40km to the town where movies are and had to stop again - same thing. Thankfully after that it settled down.

All I can say is I am so glad I live in Australia where we have plenty of public toilets and not somewhere in Europe(UK excepted).

Update on being stucked! First of all, I have eaten broccoli before and it didn't bother me. Usually it is steamed to the point of being able to mash it into tiny tiny bits. Don't know why it got stuck this time unless it just wasn't cooked as soft.

Second, I wasn't able to eat anything the rest of the day and didn't feel too good either. I guess I was so overwhelmed with it all.

Today has been good but I have been craving anything and everything to eat! I never crave food but I sure have today. I have really had to watch it closely or I would have eaten all day. It's like my system is afraid it's not going to get anything else to eat.

I'm going to bed and pray that tomorrow things will be back to normal!

Hello

Everyone,

I've had food stuck several times..and so far its been mostly at home..but a couple of times it has occured in the cafe...luckily I've made it to the bathroom in time..I can only imagine the embarrassment ..what Im wondering ..is Im confused WHERE it gets stucked...is it where youre banded? It feels farther up...but why wouldnt it happen before you were banded ..if that was the case...Please explain...Thanks

Poppyred