Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery date in 9 days... getting nervous!!!

my band date is march 12. just a mere 9 days away (not counting today or the actual day of surgery). i'm really starting to get nervous. i think my biggest worries are that i won't wake up, something will go terribly wrong, or my liver will not have shrunk enough and they won't band me. i'm also nervous about the pain and gas issues afterwards. can ya'll share some positive surgery stories? thanks.

There is nothing to worry about. Had mine yesterday and can't even make it sound interesting.

I'm almost disappointed that my surgery was uneventful and boing.

11:10 AM - Checked in the hospital

11:20 AM - Got brought a room to strip and put on a johnny

11:40 AM - Nurse inserted IV as prep

1:10 PM - Rolled to OR

2:20 PM - Woke up in recovery room feeling bloated

2:40 PM - Walked to x-ray and drank barium

3:20 PM - Was sent home

It has only been about 8 hours since I got home and the gas is subsiding.

I almost feel like nothing was done. I could actually go to work in the morning if I wanted but that ain't gonna happen.

PS. not waking up never concerned me because when I go, I want to die in my sleep.

My surgery is March 12th, also. I'm having it done in Mexico. Will I be ok for a 3 hr flight and 6 hr layover on the 15th?

wow. two of us getting done on march 12! good luck to the one getting it done in Mexico.i hope all goes well. =)

and well, i'm glad to hear one very positive story even if it was a bit uneventful. better uneventful then something bad happeneing! i would love it if mine were that uneventful. hopefully it will be! =)

I was banded in October in Belgium. Procedures may be different in the US, but this is what I experienced if it helps...

I'll skip all the booking in and waiting ...

First of all, when I was being wheeled to theatre on my trolley the thing that kept going through my head was 'Am I really doing the right thing here?' and 'Has my liver shrunk enough?' I'll be honest, I really wanted to jump off the trolley and run away and forget the whole thing, but now looking back, I'm so glad I went through with it. Just remind yourself why you are going through with the whole thing.

Second ... If you have never had an operation the main thing to rember is not to panic. Just before I went under I remember feeling drunk as hell and my skin started prickling. I got half way through asking what the hell was going on and the next thing I remember was waking up post op and feeling freezing cold although they soon warmed me up.

When I came round there was mild pain, but I won't lie to you here ... it got worse ... although never unbearable, but as the drugs wore off the pain definately increased. The main pain was at the port site.

I spent one night in hospital under observation, then one night in a hotel. The most painfull part was again the port site. Sitting up off my bed was hard work. To stand up I had to sort of slide myself off the side off the side of the bed and ease myself up. The next day I traveled 100 miles home by train and this wasn't too bad. However, if you are thinking of driving after your op forget it. It is not safe.

I have a physical job and I took about 10 days off work. By the time I went back I was fairly comfortable as long as I didn't lift heavy weights. From what I remember, I couldn't lie on my side for the first week, but that gradualy got better and looking back on it, it was only a short time of inconvieniece. The main thing is to take it easy. I did have gas pain in my shoulder for quite a long time (3 weeks or so), but this was not really pain, just a pain in the butt when it came to sleeping on my side :)

As to worrying if your liver has shrunk enough ... I was told to do a 7 day low carb/low fat diet before the op. I'll be honest here, I only stuck to it for 3 days and worried about it more than anything else. My doctor told me AFTER the op that an enlarged liver is extreemly rare, but the diet is worth doing just incase. After all, you don't want to be that extreemly rare case do you?

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope some of what I have typed helps. It's natural to be worried before an operation, but in a month you will look back on it and think it was no big deal and be happy you went through with it.

Good luck!

Hi dontgoggilme!

I'm counting the days down with you.

I'm 7 days out now, I hope.

I did all my pre-op work with the hospital and the surgeon yesterday. The surgeon was upset with me because I haven't lost all the weight he wanted me to lose pre-op. I have to lose 4 more lbs by Monday or the surgery will be postponed.

I'm a little upset because all the surgeon focused on was the weight loss, I didn't even get to ask my questions. I feel chewed out and deflated. I've been doing so well on the liquid diet, I was ready for an encouraging word. I WAS sooo excited now I'm just feeling sad and uncertain.

What a roller coaster ride this has been.

My surgery date is March 12th too. Good Luck!

I am March 12 too! Good Luck everybody!

My surgery is march 5, two days and im also sooo nervous! but i just look at it this way, i had two c-sections and if i can get thru that i can do anything lol, but i also am in that stage where im afriad i wont wake up or am i doing the rite thing, but i just keep telling myself everything is going to be fine and it will all be worth it in the end!!

Maddy, my C-section was great but I was on the other side of it getting picked up by the feet and slapped in the ass.

Then I had to listen to my mom bitch and moan about the pain I caused her for years. Trust me, if half of that pain was true, the lapband surgery will be a piece of cake for you.

Had mine yesterday and there was no pain. Just annoying gas.

Good luck!

Mine is Tuesday the 9th. I am a little nervous as well, but I feel so good from pre-op diet that I am also excited. this forum has helped calm many of my fears, and got me through some temptations as well. Good luck!

my band date is march 12. just a mere 9 days away (not counting today or the actual day of surgery). i'm really starting to get nervous. i think my biggest worries are that i won't wake up, something will go terribly wrong, or my liver will not have shrunk enough and they won't band me. i'm also nervous about the pain and gas issues afterwards. can ya'll share some positive surgery stories? thanks.

I was also worried that I wouldn't wake up from surgery, or that the doctor would not be able to band me because I was too big. These seem to be normal concerns, so I guess we're normal. regarding the pain and the gas post surgery, 2 weeks later it seemed like a distant memory to me. The brain is a wonderful thing. Now here I am, almost 6 years post op maintaining a 250 pound weight loss and my only regret is that I didn't do this sooner! I am so passionate about my new and improved life of Banded Living that I am blogging my experiences from the beginning of my journey at

I’ve decided on a band and I’m working with my surgeon to get ready for surgery.

See if you can find some words of encouragement to help the next 9 days go a little faster for you. I'd be interested in your feedback.

Good luck on your journey!

I was banded Feb 18th - 2 weeks ago tomorrow - at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett, WA. (fantastic staff & surgeons!!). My surgery was absolutely non-eventful. In fact, when I woke up, I accused my surgeon of having painted my incisions on! I really felt that indifferent to the whole procedure.

When I talked with my surgeon at my 1-week followup last week, she told me my surgery had been "absolutely average", which she says is what every patient should hope to be. I was a bit let down, a bit sorry I hadn't been "special", LOL. She did say my liver was slightly enlarged but that had not been a problem. I had lost 14 lbs. over 3 weeks prior to surgery - I started my diet (low carb, Atkins) the day of my first consult, Jan. 22, even though I'd only been told to lose 10 lbs within 7 days prior to my surgery. It was just easier (and smarter, I think) to lose as much as possible before surgery, so I started in right away rather than wait for 7 days prior.

Anyway, as far as the anaesthetic goes, I had no fear of dying - like btrieger I've always hoped to croak in my sleep, so going under was no big deal. In fact, I've had about 5 operations in the past decade, and I actually LIKE anaesthetic (and it seems to like me)! The only odd thing about my recovery was that I woke up coughing - don't know why (I've never smoked), and neither did the post-op nurse. I grabbed for the glass of Water on the tray over my bed and sipped at that and after about 10 minutes the coughing subsided. I was up and walking around within 20 minutes after that. And, miraculously, I had absolutely NO gas pains - in my shoulder or anywhere else. I'd had gas with my gallbladder removal 3 years ago and, while it's not exactly fun, it's nothing that can't be tolerated for a day or two. The only pain medication I had was a swig of Lortab right before surgery.

My friend then drove me back to the hotel - my surgery had started around 11:30 and I was back in my bed at the hotel by 2:30!! I had a lovely afternoon's nap & took several walks around the hotel that evening.

Next morning - a few Tylenol and I was good to go. 4 of the 5 incisions they make are really tiny and painless, really. The port incision is bigger and yes, will be tender and sore for a week or so. I would say by day 10 I felt absolutely back to normal. I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work by the following Tuesday (luckily I have a very quiet desk job).

My first fill will be March 18 and I can't wait! My hunger has returned but I am still low-carbing and have lost a total of about 21 lbs.

Thanks to all who post on this website - you are all true inspirations, especially btrieger - that you've lost close to 100 lbs BEFORE your surgery is mind-blowing. A true testament to your commitment to your new way of life. Salut!

Good luck dontgoggilme - you'll be fine!!!

MAJOR SETBACK MAYBE...

Well I woke up at 5 am this morning to drive from Wichita Falls to Dallas and made it early for my appt , a pre surgical consult with Dr. Jay and sure enough something came up. I thought that I had done everything right. I lost 7 pounds since my TLC nutrition consult, had my approval, and BAM my lab work came back out of range, I am absolutely devastated, we did more labs today to see if maybe I wont have to change the date, but if they are still bad(anemic), then my surgery has to be pushed back. I have waited for this for sooo long. I do realize its for my health, but I can't stop thinking about how 1 lil thing has put a stop to my progress. I cried all the way home. Do you know how hard it is to drive 136 miles with tears in your eyes. Sorry to be such a downer today, but I feel uncertain about my fwd progress. If I get pushed back, I may just take a break, get my lab work in check, and consider gastric bypass (even tho I feel this is the easy way out right now). I know this is bandsters, but has anyone else had RNY. Supposedly here in Wichita Falls we have 1 of the best surgeons for that in the nation. I dont know? I'm just gonna lay down, try not to think about today and pray that I get good news within the week.

Thanks for listening. Alicia

P.S. My daughter was with me today, and when we got in the car she said "mommy I like u just the way u are, but I know u are hurt about the bad news" and just gave me the biggest hug ever. Thank goodness I did something right...

Succeed, It is just a set back. Life is not a race and you are still young.

I had a set back last month because of a moron in my surgeon's office. I kept a positive attitude; the bitch was fired and my surgery took place as planned.

What is the treatment for anemia? Curing that may help you lose the weight where you won't even need surgery.

If a competent surgeon is saying he can't do surgery because of an illness; I wouldn't suggest finding another that will.