Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had to do Stomach Crunches During Fill?!

I had my first fill yesterday and all in all, it wasn't too bad. I read so many posts and blogs about fills and difficulties that some people have had, so I was really nervous. But one thing that was a surprise to me was that the doctor had me do a stomach crunch when he put the needle in. Does anyone else's doctor do that? He said it helps to push the muscle forward and makes it easier for him to hit the port.

Well, first of all, I am a big baby when it comes to needles so I was already nervous and therefore, trying to breathe deeply to calm down. But when you do a stomach crunch you can't breathe and he expected me to hold it up there for a pretty long time! :thumbup: I had to let go twice so it actually took him 3 tries before he got the port. But luckily I had been numbed with lidocaine first so I didn't feel all these pokes. He said I would get better at it each time. Really?! I didn't know I had to exercise while a large needle is going into my abdomen!

Anyone else have this experience?

I too lay down when he inserts the needle as my port is tilted in such a way it is easier to access while laying down, rather than standing up. However, I don't have to do any crunches or anything like that while he locates the port. He does it by feel. Once the needle is in, then I stand up so we can do the adjustment.

Perhaps next time you can bring a pillow with you?

I had to lay down with a pillow under my back and tighten my stomach for him to find my port then I was able to relax while he did the fill. No numbing meds for me though. I didn't need it he was in and done before I knew it. I've had an unfil and another slight fill and both were also done the same way. Good luck! I also think you'll get used to it, and they will learn how to find it better each time.

I just lay down while he inserts needle then stand up for adjustment. No crunches....I can't imagine that. Thankfully my doctor has got the stick on the first time everytime. I have heard of others having a problem finding it though. I hope it gets better for you. Good luck in your weight loss journey!

I had to do crunches as wel! I don't really mind needles so it didnt bother me, the whole thing took about 2 min.

I had to do a crunch -- no numbing, though. Doc said that hurts more than the actual needle.

First I did a crunch with my arms behind my head, and he outlined my port with a pen.

Then he had me relax for a few seconds while he and the nurse prepared the needle, and then another crunch (and hold) while he injected. It was all over really fast, and wasn't bad at all.

:-)

Yep this is perfectly normal. Dr gets me to lie down and when she is ready to inject I have to do a small crunch. Just raising head and shoulders - its not that hard and I don't have to hold it for long.

She always gets the port first time.

I do the crunch too. They say as you lose more belly fat, the port becomes easier to find and you don't have to resort to that anymore.

I hardly even feel the stick. Stick, adjust, and I'm up to drink some Water and make sure everythings nice and secure.

When I do a "crunch" during a fill, my port pops up to the surface and extends out more than normal--so my surgeon has a better shot at getting my port first time! :thumbup:

My original surgeon (who moved away), though, took multiple times to hit the target (with no numbing agent) but my new surgeon who had just finished his internship when I saw him back in August hit the target first time! He asked how much I had in and then said "Oh, 3.5cc" and I said "How do you know that?" Here he had drawn out all I had in there and could see in the tube how much! :thumbup:

Way too much information for me! (Banker--NOT a health care professional!) :mad2: