Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it today! I had my lapband surgery!

I just thought I'd write about my experience so those of you who are going to be having it soon know what to expect. Of course, different doctors, practices, hospitals, states and countries have different policies...

My doctor does it as an outpatient procedure, so I was home pretty quick. They brought me in at 8:30AM, told me to undress, gave me an iv, checked bp, hr, etc and had me connected to machines. They had me sign a few more forms.

Intersting thing: On one of the forms, it said I was having gastric lap band surgery and hiatal hernia repair. Now, as far as I know, I don't have a hernia. When I asked the doc, he said most overweight women have a hiatal hernia, which is not dangerous, but when placing a band, it has to be repaired to avoid complications. Interesting!

Anyways, they told me to get comfortable on the bed while they got the OR ready. In the meantime, I brought my ipod, where I had downloaded some relaxing music I used during my pregnancies, labors and c-sections. Well that must have been really therapeutic, bc I fell asleep before they could even sedate me! (He sedated, then he used the mask to put me under, apparently)

The next thing I know, I'm coughing up a storm and apparently asked "Did you extubate me yet?" they were cracking up. Then apparently I said I needed an Emesis basin to throw up, but fell asleep instead. :w00t: I am not a doctor. I guess the anesthesia made me remember all my ER episodes...

So after an hour they tried waking me up, and it felt like one of those mornings where you JUST cannot wake up. After trying to wake up for 20 minutes, they let me sip some Water and then it was fine. Nothing was hurting. They made me sit up after a while, then walk around, go to the bathroom, and then I got dressed and went home. All in all, I went in 8:30 and was home by 1.

Now the pain has started kicking in a little. I can barely feel the two little incisions and the big oneacross my belly button is a little tender. Also, I can totally feel where the port is and it's sore. I can tell it will probably take a while to heal. aren't so bad. But then again, I'm comparing it to c-sections.

The hard part is the gas. It's pretty bad. I got a heating pad and it's made a huge difference!

They sent me home with Lortab, but I don't know if it's helping with the gas...

I am SO hungry! But the gas won't let me eat too much. I've basically had a bottle of Vitamin Water, and half a bowl of Jello. They told me to make sure I get in 64oz of fluids today. So far, including what I had in the hosptial, I've had like 32. I don't see how I'm going to double that before I go to sleep though.

And other then that, I've just been sleeping it off. It helps that dh took the day off work to help with the kids today. Hopefully I can ask my mom to come help tomorrow and maybe the next day I'll be ok.

Anyways, that's my story.

Thanks!!

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.

It sounds like this should be a no-brainer for me tomorrow. I never watched ER but I am more of a House guy anyways.

I'll start giving the surgeon and nurses crap and talking down to them.

Thanks!!

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.

It sounds like this should be a no-brainer for me tomorrow. I never watched ER but I am more of a House guy anyways.

I'll start giving the surgeon and nurses crap and talking down to them.

Oh I LOVE House! Have all episodes on my iPod Touch!

Best wishes for tomorrow and a speedy recovery!!

btrieger - we have met in other forums. I'll be pulling for you tomorrow.

Last Monday was my band day - so I'm 7 days out and feel great. Very little pain - back to my normal activity.

Only took Loritab before leaving surgicenter. Never used any other meds except tylenol otc.

Glad your day has finally arrived.

Joyce in Kansas City

Oh SOY i am SOOOOO glad you pulled through ok! The tip about the ipod is a FANTASTIC idea.. if only i had my laptop back intime to add songs to my ipod that i find relaxing!! i have like five days left now i think.. wednesday for me! But you guys are behind in time so it'll be tuesday for ya's when i go in!! Best of luck!!