Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op - how long and success??

I am on my pre-op diet, fortunately my Doctor only recommended that I do 7 days of full liquids. Which is Carnation instant Breakfast no sugar added for breakfast, and lo fat/low sugar cream of wheat for lunch and cream Soups mixed with lemon juice. I prefer heart healthy 98% fat free cream of mushroom Soup with lemon juice. Lemone juice has 0 cal 0 carb 0 fat. SO it is better then using fat free milk to cream it out.

I can honestly say I have not cheated... Although I never said I didnt want to. Boy my husband still has me cook him his meals throughout the day and it is torture. But it is my decision to go through with this. I want to be back down to my old normal 120lbs self. as I was 2 years ago.

Im sure youll do just fine, I have lost 6 lbs since tuesday and my surgery is on 3/2:thumbup:

First 3 days were the hardest. I feel this discipline before band was seated, prepared me for the post-op requirements.

A drastic change from the "pig out" life I had been leading.

New life - new body. More happiness and self-confidence.

The world is waiting for us.

Joyce in KC

I've been working on a healthier eating profile for several years - had an indirect calorimeter done so I'd know my calories needed to lose/maintain and have been food journaling forever. After my initial appt with my surgeon on 1/14/10 I cracked down on my diet by sticking to a 1200 calorie diet, so that by my first follow up I'd lost 10 pounds (2/1). Nevertheless, my surgeon uses the Medifast (4 shakes + one lean and green) from the initial follow up until surgery.

Yes, I have cheated from time to time - some "cheats" have been allowed(add'l Protein in the form of eggs, cheese, chicken), some have been a few mini pretzels, a slice of bread, some popcorn...

Had my last meeting with the surgeon and my PAT's on Friday(2/26/10) - down 25 pounds.

I am having the worst time making the four shakes a day - esp living in the North where eating cold in the cold equals cold!:biggrin:

I am half way thru my 3 week pre-op. I lost 9 pounds in the first 10 days, and then fell off for a day. Couple glasses of wine, that led to some pizza. I have learned that beating myself up over it makes it worse. I just got up the next day and started the shakes again. Its almost like quitting smoking cold turkey. Just take it one day at a time.

its hard. ive been on it for 7 days and tomorrow will be the 8th day. my surgery is next week and i have had one moment of weakness due to unforseen circumstances, but you just have to keep going.

I was supposed to be on Medifast for 2 weeks prior, but because of weather and my insurance company, it really became 4. I didn't mind it too much- had lots of variety to choose from, and I lost 20 pounds, which was a nice bennie! Most of all, though, I was really happy to see a big drop in my A1C and blood glucose levels preop...and my surgeon said that my liver looked great when he was in there, well out of his way.

After all that, this 7 day postop Clear liquids only phase is no big deal.

Hang in there- all too soon, your preop period will be no more than a memory :(

Best wishes, Christine

10 day all liquid diet

Breakfast - sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast with 1 cup skim milk blended with a fruit. ie 4 oz banana or 3/4 c mandarin oranges

3 Snacks in the day - 8 oz fruit juice

lunch and dinner - sugar free Carnation Inst Breakfast with 1 cup skim milk blended with a fruit, also 8 oz creamy Soup or V-8 juice.< /p>

52 oz of Water

I'm at the end of day 5. I haven't cheated at all. I was really jazzed the first few days, now I'm feeling weak and tired. I hope the weak and tired goes away and I can get my jazzed feeling back again.

Holds up my carnation inst breakfast "Cheers All"

I am starting my preop on 3/10 and have alot of variety ready to go 1 week of only liquids, right now i am excited and ready to do this hope the week goes by quickly though!