Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op - how long and success??

My insurance improved my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and I went to Dr. for pre-op visit a week and half ago and they are suppose to call me Monday with my surgery date. They had me start my pre-op diet week and half ago at pre-op visit. They are projecting a surgery date the week of 3/15 or 3/22 so that is essentially 4 weeks on the pre-op diet and I have to tell you I thought at first I wouldn't be able to do this for four weeks!!!

Tell me you had success on the pre-op diet and it was worth it. And tell me if you cheated during the pre-op...

Encouragement please :cursing:

Today is 30 days on the prediet; what type of diet are you on?

Mine is high Protein and 1200 calories a day. I have done very well and lost 15 pounds. Eating the protien part of the meal first have really helped me stay full longer and keeping away from the carbs has been very helpful. Carbs lead to craving more carbs. I have had to learn to like foods that I didn't eat before like hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and tuna.

Good Luck...you can do it. The support you find here will be helpful.:cursing:

I was told to have a Protein shake for 2 meals so do Breakfast and lunch and then 4 oz meat with 1 cup of green veggies. I can have any fruit except citrus throughout the day. And lots of Water.

I have found that I snack on Peanut Butter for more Protein and I actually make a smoothie out of the Protein drinks. 8 oz Water, 2 scoops (chocolate), 1 tblspn Peanut Butter and 1/2 cup ice. Blend and enjoy. I really do like them and when I come home from work I am ready to eat right then!

They said no bread, potatoes and no dairy. I would love some cottage cheese!

Mine was 2 weeks long. it consisted of two Protein shakes a day (>15 g Protein, < 5 g fat, <5 g carb), and one meal consisting of 4 oz. Protein and 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies.

I didn't cheat, and it was very successful in that the intended liver improvements were achieved and surgery could proceed as planned. This, really, is the primary aim of the diet. Weight loss is a nice bonus, but not really what the doctor's after. I lost a relatively small amount (maybe 9 pounds or so)--but had been eating a carb controlled diet for a while, so my body wasn't really startled into letting a bunch go with the preop diet.

It's really hard--but does not last forever. You can do it!

PS--Peanut butter increases your satiety not because of added protein (it has about as much protein as carb--and not all that much), but because it is mostly FAT. Fat stays with you longer than either carb or protein. Make sure that the added PB fits within the protein-fat-carb parameters your doctor wants you sticking to.

Edited by BetsyB

My pre-op diet was supposed to be a month long but because my surgery date moved a couple of times; it ended up being only 22 days. Today is day 20. I am drinking only Optifast shakes and don't mind. I've lost 16 pounds during pre-op so far and have not been hungry at all.

I have not and will not cheat because I am stubborn and the only person I'd be cheating is myself.

I did 12 days of Optifast, lost 14 lbs and cheated a few times....with plates of lettuce with either red wine vinegar or just salt & pepper lol who would've thought lettuce would be cheating?!? :cursing:

Hi Bree,

Congrats on your surgery date!!

I did Medifast as my preop. I thought I was cheating with a salad with chicken.

Then I read the instructions and found that this program includes one "lean and green" meal each day. DUH!

Like Carmen said, who'd have thought that I'd feel lettuce was cheating! ha!

And truly, as btrieger said, they only person you are cheating by cheating is yourself.

I lost 8 lbs during the two weeks which was a fantastic jumpstart. But best of all was after surgery when my surgeon told me he could tell that I followed the pre-op because my liver was very small and super pliable. He said that made the surgery very easy for him to perform. THAT made it all so worth it. I smiled for hours after that compliment.

Who'd have thought having a pretty liver could make you so happy! :wink2:

Best wishes!!!

who would've thought lettuce would be cheating?!? :wink2:

There was a bit of animosity over this earlier this week. We definitely need a better word than "cheating" to describe a little nibble outside of a diet.

There was a bit of animosity over this earlier this week. We definitely need a better word than "cheating" to describe a little nibble outside of a diet.

Really? Drat, I missed it.

I hate it when life intrudes on my forum time! :wink2:

My 2 week pre-op diet was very similar to BetsyB's. I had to make sure I got in at least 64 oz. of Water, 2 Protein shakes (Breakfast and lunch) then a palm full portion (about 4 oz.) of Protein and a non starchy veggie. The first 3 days I was doubting if I could hang on, but it definitely got easier. There were also a few nights where I had a shake instead of food.

A few days ago GNC had a sale going on and I picked up their banana Cream whey powder...its more like having a treat and was a nice change from the vanilla that I was doing before.

I do have to say that as soon as I started the pre-op diet I caught a bad cold...then after losing some pounds my TOM came a whole week and a half early...during that time my weight stalled, but as soon as it was over I was back to normal.

My biggest suggestion is if you're allowed to have a little food...make it good, it definitely doesn't have to be boring.

You will soon find out that most of the time the hunger is a mind game. I know it sounds cheesy, but keep your eye on the prize, it'll be over before you know it!

Surgery for me is on the 3rd at 8am and as of my appt. Thursday I am down 15 lbs. Good luck!

I started my pre-op today. I have a Protein Shake for breakfast and lunch, and meat and 2 veggies or meat and 1 veggie and 1 fruit for dinner. Only Water to drink and no potatoes, Pasta, bread, rice or Snacks. This is for 4 weeks.

geez i missed it too!! oh well...:wink2:

Hello All,

I am three days on the pre-op diet. This is such a challenge. I must make sure I have my supplies with me. I have done ok thus far.

Lorraine