Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting banded in a month or so.. and I am a "foodie" I love to cook.. love to eat.. all that. But I also love being thinner and feeling better . I need to do this for my health..I know it.

Anyone regret the band? I keep wondering how I will feel after I get this band.. will I just be very unhappy?

I know losing the weight will feel wonderful... I just have these unsure feelings... I worry.. :frown:

I am getting banded in a month or so.. and I am a "foodie" I love to cook.. love to eat.. all that. But I also love being thinner and feeling better . I need to do this for my health..I know it.(

I love to cook...love to eat...and I read cookbooks and cooking magazines like some people read novels.

I've been banded since 11/3/09 and have not regretted it for even one moment. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

I still cook and I still eat...just less. Right now there are some foods I don't eat because they get stuck or go down hard (chicken, eggs, bread, to name a few) and I have a feeling if I get .25cc taken out of my band, some of these wouldn't give me as much trouble, but for the time being I'm ok with giving them up with the trade off being losing 18+ pounds in 3 weeks.

I also know that when I'm done losing this weight, I'll be able to get Fluid taken out of my band, allowing me to eat some of these foods again, but by that time, hopefully, training myself into thinking of things like bread as a treat and not something to have at every meal along with other carbs.

I'm with Elfie--I don't regret it at all. I love to cook & eat--and having a band hasn't changed that OR created any misery. I make different things--but I tend to view it as a challenge to make the things that fit into my new eating plan as wonderful and delicious as possible.

HI, I notice you've been a member for 3 years. I was a fence sitter for over a year and finally understand that I wasn't going to lose weight- ever, and saw my health deteriorate. I've gone from 322 to 250, hit a major plateau, but doing well. I have no regrets. On the other hand, no complications and I've been moderately successful. But here is the deal: you have to be READY, and that for me was hitting rock bottom; being humbled! I knew that even if the band didn't work as expected, I had to ready to eat better, exercise, and carry-on until the band did become helpful. You can sabotage your band, and your "diet", so easily. I had to have all those issues resolved before I started this journey; and it has been wonderful! (banded June 2008)

I am getting banded in a month or so.. and I am a "foodie" I love to cook.. love to eat.. all that. But I also love being thinner and feeling better . I need to do this for my health..I know it.

Anyone regret the band? I keep wondering how I will feel after I get this band.. will I just be very unhappy?

I know losing the weight will feel wonderful... I just have these unsure feelings... I worry.. :sad:

I do have one regret from being banned.............That I didn't get it done sooner. I am the happiest and most confident now then I have ever been in my life. My self confidence was pretty much in the crapper. Now I have pulled myself out of the crapper and tossed the crapper in the trash..lol It's a lifestyle change that takes some time getting used to but it's well worth it. If you follow the plan that your doctor gives to you. I PROMISE you will be happy also because you will be amazed by the results that you get.

Congratulations on your banding. See you on the Losers bench. :frown:

Not one regret!! I finally feel comfortable with myself. I feel I have been given years of my life back and wish I had known about the Lap Band sooner.

Good luck!

I am like Elfie, I love to cook, bake, and I love to eat. food Network is a great channel. I am also a cake decorator by trade among other things. I have learned to cook some really cool meals that agree with me and what I want for myself, substituting ingredients for a healthier dish, and cooking smaller pots so that I don't feel obligated to eat so much. I am almost entirely giving up on meat of any kind since any of the PB episodes I have had included meat. ( truth is I am a vegetarian at heart) When bake sweets I keep some for my family and give the rest away to the teachers at school and friends, Chiro office, massage therapist etc. So i still feel good cooking for others. I am becoming more satisfied seeing others enjoy what I cook vs the need to gorge myself on a tasty meal.

I have also been watching Dr Oz a lot... I like how he explains what we are doing to our organs and his show and tell examples.... big time wake up call. My family watches together. I love how he spends time on weightloss issues and solutions and showes a typical plate and how it can be made better and with half or less of the calories.

Ha Ha just the other day my freind took me and my 2 kids out to lunch for vietnamese food... I didn't order anything. I had some hot tea and then after that I picked off the veggies of everyones plate and was very satisfied. Now I am a really cheap date ;o) It was a relaxing meal. I enjoyed it.

Like astrasmom, I am so happy I did this, I am more confident now and I wish I had done it sooner... I am thankful for today and my future.

Betsie, it is fun meeting the challenge of altering a recipe, and very satisfying when your family loves it!

I am very happy with my band but sometimes I am eating something and I am loving it so much then the band says "Don't take another bite OR ELSE" and I start pouting. My husband will look at me and can even tell by my expression that I am disappointed. (He is the cook) But these feelings are fleeting and what I was enjoying was not nearly as cool as fitting into clothes that I couldn't wear for the last 10 years.

So basically it depends on what is important to you. (be honest with yourself) Some people would rather enjoy food than be thin, if that is the case don't get the band. If you are willing to sacrifice the ability to eat as much of something as you want and you are willing to go to smaller portions the band might be for you.

I'm pre-band...3/9/10 is my "due" - when I give birth to the new me(and stop having people ask me when I'm due:lol:).

One thing I've heard over and over, online and from friends and support group members was "I just wish I'd done it sooner". That speaks volumes to me; I wish I'd faced the reality that though I've got it together as far as my overall life is concerned, my weight is something that I have not been able to control on my own. My weight has kept my from doing many things I've wanted to do and I've wasted half of my 30's and half of my 40's in a fat suit. No more!

I love to cook and bake and my family loves my "good eats" - of course they're none the wiser that many of my recipes are from Weight Watchers or have been altered using healthy alternatives.

I have one regret....I didn't get it sooner!

I love to cook and eat...I just make alot less and eat alot less!

No regrets at all! And I'm a total foodie who lives in NYC and loves to go to good restaurants, underground supper clubs, to have dinner parties, etc. The band hasn't changed any of that.

What the band has changed for me is that I eat less and am satisfied more easily. I've lost more than 71 pounds and am 3.4 from goal.

Actually, the band has added to my foodie enjoyment. Here is what I mean -- because I am no longer obese, I don't feel self conscious ordering whatever I like (though I do watch what I order) or talking about my enjoyment of good food. So, I can tell someone all about an amazing dessert I enjoyed (read: 3 bites) or some fantastic foie gras (same) without knowing that they are probably thinking "Ummm. . should you really be eating that?!?"

The above is not to say that I'm eating fattening food all of the time -- I'm generally pretty good. But, when I do, I don't feel guilty about it and I don't overdo it because my band keeps me in check.

I hope that helps! Feel free to check out my blog if you want. :wink:

Best wishes,

Catherine

It's really nice to be able to say that you had an incredi

Wow.. such great advise.. such inspiration.. I feel better.. I just see things black and white.. like.. you can eat everything .. or you don't eat anything...... and I have to think moderation will be how things will be.. I think the band helps keep you feeling full. I seem to always be hungry.. now.. so .. I think I am on my way.. I will let you all know my date.. I think very soon.. all my pre tests are done.. :wink:

I am almost two years out and 100 pounds down....

I LOVE to cook, I love to bake....and I still love those things. I have found that my tastes have changed a bit...and amazingly, when I bake Cookies or something, MOST of the time one cookie really is enough. I find that I enjoy them so much more, I take time to really taste them. I'm so much pickier about texture, taste and how food looks. Before, I was all about quantity...

I still like making full fat, glorious comfort food....but I do that a couple of times a month and the rest of the times are like today...with a very tasty, meatless lentil Soup that has made my house smell sooooo good. It's high Protein, high Fiber, low fat and TASTES good....whatta concept!

I miss things, of course. There are days I would sell my soul for a giant philly steak sandwich....but I have a closet full of lovely size 6/8 clothes, I have a normal blood pressure, I have normal cholestorol levels, I have very little acid reflux (and I KNOW when I'm going to have it and it's my fault for eating too much to late at night), I have SELF CONFIDENCE in myself and my body...I embrace my own beauty and sensuality which is something I could NEVER have done without losing the weight....a philly steak is nothing compared to all of these things.....

I am having my band done on March 1

I am wondering about the shrinking of the liver, I have been on the Unjury shakes and can have oatmeal, v8, veggies, fruit, yougurt, and sugar free applesauce. I have had a bite or 2 of somethings but for the most part been doin it right just a bit nervous about my liver

As far as worring about a "shrinking liver" here is the scoop. Us fatties have a liver that is HUGE from way too much fat. In order for the Dr. to safely get under our liver in surgery to the stomach the liver has to "shrink" or get healthier. They put us on a liquid diet for two weeks for a basic detox of our liver to clear some of the fat from it. Fat stores are used up here first and so then it becomes smaller and easier to manipulate during surgery.. Much less dangerous for us the patients.