Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI Alert: Constipation...

I know this is totally TMI, but I'm in some serious pain here. I'm 9 days post op....and it's been 10 days since my last bm. I was advised that Constipation is normal, and to be expected, but this is getting out of control. I started a few mushies yesterday and today with no trouble, so it's definitely time for some action! Unlike while I was on the pre-op diet, I do at least feel the need to go now. But it's just not happening. I'm nauseated and am getting chills. I've tried apple juice, orange juice, applesauce, and even 2 doses of Milk of Magnesia, which was only used as a last resort this afternoon b/c I was told to avoid laxatives.

NOTHING is working and I am to the point where I am hurting so badly, that I can't stand or sit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Going to the store isn't an option right now (3 kiddos), but the hubs gets off work at midnight, so he can make a dash if necessary. I'm ready to try anything! :sad:

Keep moving.

I'd consider calling the doctor. I can only imagine the pain. 6 days is the longest I have gone.

have you tried Water or hot oatmeal? that could help....wish you get better soon.

I've had 2 bottles of Water since 6pm, and am sipping on another one...maybe the third will be the charm? I have not tried oatmeal - will do that now! Thanks!

Keep moving.

I'd consider calling the doctor. I can only imagine the pain. 6 days is the longest I have gone.

B- does crawling count as moving? j/k...will definitely try it! :sad: Thanks!

Kleritea. It works great. You have to order it online and have it overnighted. It's all natural and really makes you go. It's really gentle and even qualifies as clear liquid for post op. It's smells and tastes really good. Sounds like you need a 10 minute steep. Drink before bedtime it helps you sleep too. You can only order it from dr natura dot com and it's part of a colon cleanse but you can drink just the tea (and buy the just the tea) for this issue. It works so amazing. I am post op too still on liquids and bought it just for this issue.

Good luck.

Kleritea. It works great. You have to order it online and have it overnighted. It's all natural and really makes you go. It's really gentle and even qualifies as clear liquid for post op. It's smells and tastes really good. Sounds like you need a 10 minute steep. Drink before bedtime it helps you sleep too. You can only order it from dr natura dot com and it's part of a colon cleanse but you can drink just the tea (and buy the just the tea) for this issue. It works so amazing. I am post op too still on liquids and bought it just for this issue.

Good luck.

Thank you sooooo much! I'm gonna check that out. I sincerely hope that I will have some relief before it comes in though!

With everything I've tried so far, I'm a little afraid of what's going to come AFTER the "experience" - I'm pretty sure that I'll have a major colon cleanse coming without buying the whole kit! Thanks again!

Unfortunately I do know how you feel. I have had problems with Constipation all my life. My normal BM's are about very 4-5 days.

I take a colace pill every day along with a dose of benefiber. Neither seem to work well. I also have to drink a bottle of citrate of magnesium about once a month just to clear myself. I also eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats every morning. Sometimes I try oatmeal but that doesn't work for me.

A few years ago when I was on chemo (which causes constipation worse than anyone could imagine) I had a problem once where I used all the above, then took MOM, then used an enema and still nothing. I then drank a bottle of citrate of magnesium and still nothing. Went to the ER for help and sat (well tried to sit) for 2 hours before I finally went to the bathroom and just pushed till I couldnt' anymore.

Finally had some results and left the ER. They had the nerve to send me a bill for $280 for leaving against medical advice because I didn't wait to see a DR.

I can't tell you what to do, but if you can get your Dr to approve it try the citrate of magnesium, but get the cherry kind from CVS (their brand) and hold your nose as you drink. then wash it down with some strong flavored stuff. I used an envelope of crystal light in 4 oz of Water to clear the terrible taste.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, support, and advice. I tried everything that was suggested here...no relief. Unfortunately, at 3:48 this morning, I made the decision to go to the ER. There was just soooo much pain! They took an x-ray, and said I was impacted; they were all in disbelief that my doc didn't tell me to start stool softeners immediately when I got home from surgery. (My doc just told me that if I 'FELT' constipated, I could start stool softeners/no laxatives - but by the time I actually "FELT" anything, it was too late.) Evidently, abdominal surgeries combined with pain meds and anesthesia cause severe Constipation and should have started stool softeners immediately after surgery. Plus I was dehydrated, which didn't help matters.

Dehydration - I was also told to only have a few sips of Water or broth for the first 3 days, and then I could start full liquids - only a few sips at a time. But come to find out, I could have been chugging that Water after day 3, and it wouldn't have hurt the band (according to my surgeon's nurse). I was so afraid of slipping my band, that I didn't drink enough water in those first three days and I got pretty dehydrated. By the 8th day (I spoke to my nurse on day 7), the dehydration was less of an issue (although I still feel like I could chug a gallon of water 4 - 5 times a day). It was all due to a lack of understanding and communication on my part - I should have read through the post-op diet more carefully and cleared up even the silliest questions that I had - would have probably saved my bottom in the long run.

Bowel Extraction - I have to say, the trip to the ER did the trick, but it was the single most painful (not to mention embarrassing, mortifying, and hideously disgusting) thing I have EVER experienced, and that's including 3 surgeries, and natural childbirth to 3 children.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you're reading this and you're experiencing a similar problem, start stool softeners as early as humanly possible. Constipation IS normal, but you may not know that you have it right away. You can not wait it out - you will get impacted. And the doctor that I spoke with said that it was a myth that a liquid diet will produce no bowel movement...he said that you should still have SOMETHING, although not as often. So I should have started taking something about day 4 or 5. Instead, I didn't start worrying about it until I felt that I needed to go and couldn't (day 10).

As for me now....I'm going back to bed b/c the pain from the extraction is so unbearable that I can't sit or stand. Please pray for me (and my bottom)!! :thumbup:

Good luck.

Oh - forgot to add - they had this at the 24 hour Walgreens in our town. I'm sure it would have worked if I hadn't been too far gone already. Thanks!

I'm happy you are ok and I am grateful that you posted this. You may have saved myself and others from a real "pain in the ass."

Thanks!!!

I already have a "hard" time because of some of the medications I am on and that is with 3 Dulcolax stool softeners a day. I've been trying to figure out where these babies are coming from since I've been drinking only Protein shakes and Water for 2 weeks.

After surgery I am going to take a strong laxative whether the doctor likes it or not.

Yikes! I am so glad you listened to your body and got medical attention!

Thanks b, and Betsy...I do feel a lot better today, although I had some pretty horrifying nightmares last night! LOL...I hope to never have that experience again! :redface:

I know this is totally TMI, but I'm in some serious pain here. I'm 9 days post op....and it's been 10 days since my last bm. I was advised that Constipation is normal, and to be expected, but this is getting out of control. I started a few mushies yesterday and today with no trouble, so it's definitely time for some action! Unlike while I was on the pre-op diet, I do at least feel the need to go now. But it's just not happening. I'm nauseated and am getting chills. I've tried apple juice, orange juice, applesauce, and even 2 doses of Milk of Magnesia, which was only used as a last resort this afternoon b/c I was told to avoid laxatives.

NOTHING is working and I am to the point where I am hurting so badly, that I can't stand or sit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Going to the store isn't an option right now (3 kiddos), but the hubs gets off work at midnight, so he can make a dash if necessary. I'm ready to try anything! :redface:

I feel your pain! Another Bandster on a different board gave me this advise. Go to Target- hopefully you have one near you. In the Vitamin isle you will find VitaFusion Fiber gummies. They are incredible! They have regular and also weight management. Obviously I chose the weight management ones. Much better than Benefiber and they taste yummy too! I was having the same problem. I ate 2 and the next day........ well lets just say things moved smoooothly. It was wonderful. Try them out!