Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angry at my surgeon and Gall bladder

I have had gallbladder problems for many years but never bad enough for surgery.

My Lap Band surgeon suggested I get it taken out. He never said he could do it either before or during the band placement so I contacted the surgeon who did my mastectomy.

He did a scan and said my gall bladder looked ok but had some sludge, not enough to remove the gallbladder.

I had the band placed in Sept. and have lost 55 lbs. Now of course the gallbladder is angry. I have had constant achyness and two times had BAD attacks that refused to ease even with 2 Percocet.

So, my lap band surgeon ordered a HIDA scan and the gallbladder is bad. Now he tells me he can remove it.

I am so upset that I have to go through this surgery to have it removed. I also am not looking forward to more scars on my already mutilated stomach and chest.

Ok, I'm done, just wanted to complain to someone.

I'd be mad too. It's so unfortunate that he didn't take it out when you got banded. Did you ask him why not?

Best wishes to you to feel better. I had my gallbladder out 9 months after lap band, but I didn't have any history of trouble with gallbladder before banding. A little trick my Sister taught me with the gallbladder removal. My cut was biggest right near the belly button and I had alot of jiggly loose skin there too. That was where I had the most pain after gallbladder removal. My Sister said to where something tight over that area and it held everything in so that I didn't get any jiggle pain.

Feel better!

Sue

I have had gallbladder problems for many years but never bad enough for surgery.

My Lap Band surgeon suggested I get it taken out. He never said he could do it either before or during the band placement so I contacted the surgeon who did my mastectomy.

He did a scan and said my gall bladder looked ok but had some sludge, not enough to remove the gallbladder.

I had the band placed in Sept. and have lost 55 lbs. Now of course the gallbladder is angry. I have had constant achyness and two times had BAD attacks that refused to ease even with 2 Percocet.

So, my lap band surgeon ordered a HIDA scan and the gallbladder is bad. Now he tells me he can remove it.

I am so upset that I have to go through this surgery to have it removed. I also am not looking forward to more scars on my already mutilated stomach and chest.

Ok, I'm done, just wanted to complain to someone.

I had my gall bladder out after almost dieing of pancreatitis due to gall stones going into my pancreas. The scars for my gall bladder surgery were nothing compared to the lap band scars. 3 little scars about 1/4-1/2" in length. Try not to let this get you down. Good Luck

I don't have to worry about the "jiggle" since they cut my stomach and rebuilt my breast with it so I got a belly for a breast and a Tummy Tuck when I had the cancer and mastectomy. but I have a huge scar across the bikini like from hip to hip that is UGLY.

I also have 5 scars from the band and 2 scars from the port they put in my shoulder for the port. Not to mention the scars on the other breast when I had it reduced to match the "new" breast. I look like a roadmap, never going to see a two piece on me no matter how thin I get.

I am mainly angry that they didn't do this during the banding. the first surgeon didn't think ti was necessary and my lap band surgeon never thought to do a HIDA scan and see how bad the gallbladder really was.

The thing I am most upset with is that they are going to bloat my stomach with gas again and do the surgery then I will have another 4-6 days of that horrible shoulder and chest pain.

Oh and the worst, the surgery is scheduled for 2:45 pm. that means nothing to eat or drink from midnight the night before and I have to wait till almost 3 pm. I have shogren's syndrome, lack of saliva, and don't know how I will get through that time without sips of Water.< /p>

It really is ashame that the surgeon didn't remove your gall bladder during your lap band surgery, that's for sure, but I did want to tell you my gall bladder scars are tiny. If I had a flat stomach, I would wear a two piece for sure with my gall bladder scars, and I don't think anyone could even see them. I had even forgotten all about them until I was having lap band surgery.

I had my gall bladder surgery before the Internet became so widespread, so I didn't have a message board or the abundant information at my fingertips as we do today. I never knew about gas being used to expand my stomach, so maybe not knowing made a difference, but I didn't have any sort of post surgery gas related pains. Granted, I only had a little after my lap band surgery, but it was enough that I would have noticed had I experienced it before.

I was also nursing and caring for a new born baby (who's almost an adult now..yikes). I think I tend to snap back pretty quickly after surgery, but my gall bladder surgery was even easier than lap band as far as recovery due to not having port pain.

Best wishes to you, and I hope everything goes well.

Did you ask him if he would take out your gall bladder when you had your banding done? I did. For some reason I still have mine I guess I should be angry.

It used to be common practice to remove the gall bladder at the time of banding. Rapid weight loss is a known factor for the development/worsening of gall bladder disease, and the thinking was, "Why not just take care of it now, since it will likely need to be done later?"

In fact, it has been found far safer to do the surgeries separately. Recovery from banding is complicated by cholecystectomy; removing an organ that might not require later removal is not justified, in light of this.

I know you're frustrated and angry--and I would be, too. But be sure you appropriately direct your anger. Your doctors did gall bladder studies prior to your banding, and determined it was not diseased. The fact that it is now, while likely related to your weight loss, is not really germane. It's not appropriate to increase surgical risk by removing organs that don't require removal.

I'm really sorry you have to have an additional, painful surgery. Add gall bladder pain on top of it all, and I am sure it's miserable. And that sucks.

But it's not any surgeon's fault, really. No standards of practice were breached, and your safety was really the primary concern.

I'm pre op I had this conversation with my surgeon yesterday. He said as long as my gall bladder was not giving me a lot of problems. He would prefer not to take it out during lapband surgery. Because it increases the risk for infection.

Mine was taken out in Nov., 2009, while my lapband was put in July, 2008. My story is a nightmare. On March 19, 2009, I suddenly stated throwin up and getting severe abdominal pains, severe enough to call an ambulance. I had gallstones, and one lodged in a pancreatic duct, causing severe necrotizing pancreatitis. I was in the hospital 5 months, almost died, had kidney and lung failure, 6 operations, and ended up with an ileostomy (that is supposed to be reversed). My lap band had to be removed because of all of this. I lost 35 pounds prior to this on the lapband, and another 70 pounds due to the illness, and am normal weight now. I lost the lapband, but still have my life.

It used to be common practice to remove the gall bladder at the time of banding. Rapid weight loss is a known factor for the development/worsening of gall bladder disease, and the thinking was, "Why not just take care of it now, since it will likely need to be done later?"

In fact, it has been found far safer to do the surgeries separately.

I had my gall bladder out last fall, and asked to have the lap-band® done at the same time. I was given the answer above. So I now have a couple of tiny scars on my tummy, and am still waiting for my band.

But I understand the frustration of two surgeries. But wow, nyllrap, your story makes it clear how much worse things could be! Glad you're still around!

Edited by AnneGG

Thanks! I was lucky, even with all I have been through. My surgeon throughout all of this (who was also my lap band surgeon) told me that in the medical literature, the mortality rate for people as sick as I was is 100%. Other doctors told me that according to all possible indicators, I should have died.

Holy moly! What an ordeal--I am glad you're okay!

Sorry haven't been on line for a while.

someone asked if I had asked the surgeon to do the gallbladder at the same time as the lap band.

Yes, I did ask the surgeon but he didn't do gallbladders at the time. I went to the surgeon who did my mastectomy and he said without 3 severe episodes that brought me to the ER he wouldn't take it out. I am stoic? stubborn? have good pain tolerance? cheap? I won't go to the ER unless I am bleeding to death. It costs me $150 co-pay and I am on disability. $150 is my food budget for 2 months.

I only had 1 severe to the ER episode, the others I tolerated at home.

Once I had the band "installed" the gallbladder began to get bad but I put up with the pain at home. It wasn't until I vomited after every meal and walked doubled over to the DR that he did the HIDA scan and took it out. I had my band surgeon do it because he left his "band only" office and opened his own office where he does more types of surgery now and not just bands anymore.

I'm confused who you're angry with...you said your LB surgeon suggested you get the GB out initially, but you chose to go to another surgeon and listened to them not to do it...I guess I'm not sure who you're mad at?

FYI in case this will help someone else (I know you've already had the procedure). I just had my GB out on Monday. My LB surgeon did it after one attack and an ultrasound that showed over a dozen stones (none in the bile duct). He did the whole procedure through one incision at the belly-button (I had 5 scars from the LB).