Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's not easy but ...

I think it has been the easy way out of obesity for me and I Celebrate that fact. I guess it is all in how you look at it. For me, the hard way is all the diets I have been on in my life. I would work hard to take off weight only to put it back on plus some. That was much more of an emotional roller coaster. I don't want to live that hard way anymore. I love my easy way out!

This is the best thread I have read so far. Worth hours of therapy. A 66 year life-long battle with food.< /span>

Darn right I'll take help/ the lap band tool. So much personal effort goes into the use of the tool.

Thanks for everyone's input here. I'll use all the experience from friends here.

JC in KC

Bea, even though you're not where you'd like to be, you've done just great! You can be proud of the fact that you're where you are, and the weight you've lost will not come back, as it has with so many of us.

Singulus, good point. People will think what they will, but we all know that getting the band isn't the easy way out; it's a lot of hard work. .

Ladykcusa, I agree with you. I'm definitely going to take all this experience, strength and hope I've been given by everyone.

That's what makes this site so wonderful.

Debbie!

Edited by serenity55

For a new comer who is nervous/excited about the Lap-Band, this thread is a great read for me. Thank you to everyone for being so open and honest.

I too am moved by the honesty and emotions expressed here. Ladykcusa, you did it for me with that "66 year life-long battle with food". Early in my adolescence, I already knew that I was fighting that battle - and I was losing. I can remember myself at 14, sitting in the back of a bus, drugged with junk food, looking out despondently at the neon lights blurring by whispering "Food... Food... Food" and thinking: "Food spelled backwards is Doof... something called doof is ruining my life... and the biggest doof is me."

The band is not a miracle worker, but it came along at the point when I was ready for it - I knew that I needed help, I knew that I was ready to try something new and to work for it. Every day of the last two years, three months and 12 days has been a gift. I'm going to be 50 in 2 days and I've already given myself the best present I ever could have hoped for, one I never dared to think I would ever achieve.

People - for me, the stuff about "finding substitutes for food" doesn't cut it. food monopolized my life, my thinking, my relationships. This legitimate need for nourishment turned into a monster that swallowed my life. Today, I don't want to find a substitute for food. For today, and - with grace - for tomorrow, I just want to live better, live more.

Edited by bandpal

I know exactly where you're coming from--sometimes my head hunger makes me crazy! They don't tell us what to do about that--and being a chocoholic doesn't help! :thumbup:

But honestly, we all have those times when we plateau or become complacent and suddenly we think we are just like those skinny persons we all know--that we can (and should be able to) eat all we want and never gain a pound. But sadly, that's NOT US.

Wish I had a nickel for every time someone inferred that the Lap Band was the 'easy way out'. Man, they sure don't know the 'rules' we have to follow every day of our lives, as well as the sacrifices we make. :thumbup:

Well, we here in this forum KNOW, and we are going to do just fine--because we chose this for ourselves!

So, you'll get back on your horse (as soon as your foot is better, that is) and go back to eating right and exercising and feeling really good about yourself. :mad2:

Again, thank you all so much! I'm really glad I started this thread because now I can take comfort from it whenever I feel like I'm alone.

I've lost two pounds since my last fill, so I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Debbie

It's funny you should mention that those who are successful don't discuss the struggles as much as the successes.

For this VERY reason, the psych who did my preop evaluation had reservations about clearing me. He felt I would be LESS apt to succeed because my approach is to focus on the positive.

I flat-out told him that some people consider that to be motivation---and a positive thing. And that for us, it's just the way we are. It's not that we have unrealistic expectations--we know there will be struggles. Hell, if we've wound up in a bariatric surgeon's office, we've HAD struggles!

There ARE struggles--for all of us. I have been very fortunate that all of mine, so far, have been in my own head, and easily surmountable. I'm not nearly far enough out of the starting gate to know whether I will continue to enjoy smooth sailing---but I am confident that I can handle whatever the band throws my way.

I guess my point is that, no matter how you view the struggles, you can experience great success with the band.

In the few blogs I have read, in the success stories I've heard, and the bandsters I talk to, I very seldom hear from those who have been successful about the struggles to get where they are.

I understand about keeping it positive, but we all know that this journey can be a very hard one. Because I still have such a long way to go, I guess what I'm asking is if there are people for whom the road to success was filled with emotions, and if so, what were they? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like so many success stories make it sound like it's a breeze.

I'm at a plateau, have just had another cc put in my band, and have no regrets about getting it. I know success can be achieved with lots of hard work, and I'm quite willing to keep doing that, but I would like to know that it wasn't always a breeze, and why.

Debbie.

This is a powerful thread. Thank you for starting it. The responses are great.

In the few blogs I have read, in the success stories I've heard, and the bandsters I talk to, I very seldom hear from those who have been successful about the struggles to get where they are.

I understand about keeping it positive, but we all know that this journey can be a very hard one. Because I still have such a long way to go, I guess what I'm asking is if there are people for whom the road to success was filled with emotions, and if so, what were they? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like so many success stories make it sound like it's a breeze.

I'm at a plateau, have just had another cc put in my band, and have no regrets about getting it. I know success can be achieved with lots of hard work, and I'm quite willing to keep doing that, but I would like to know that it wasn't always a breeze, and why.

Debbie.

Hi Debbie:

You are so right- it's not easy, it takes alot of work, but be assured, it can be done. I am almost 6 years post op and have been maintaining a 250 pound weight loss. every day I still have to think about what I am going to eat. Don't get discouraged.Every single one of those pounds took work and planning on my part. I am up in Ventura so we are close. If you like send me an email at sandi@bandedliving.com and we can start a conversation. Where are you on your journey?

If you would like to read about my experiences you can find my blog at

Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

You are not alone.

Betsy, I agree with you. I'ts been a year, and my struggles are still in my head. I love my band, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I also knew going in to this that it wouldn't be easy, but that was all right with me. I've had some major nonscale victories, and have lost weight that I know won't come back.

But it isn't easy, and I, as so many others have said, have to think about what goes in to my mouth. Sometimes I'm better than others, but even at my worst it's still better than my pre band days.

Sandi, I read one of your posts on another forum. It's wonderful to have someone who's had such an amazing weight loss and is maintaining.

Married, thank you for your kind words. Never thought I'd have a powerful thread. Self-esteem, don'tcha know--but that's another story for another forum! :(

Debbie

Bea1128,

I have heard this type of issue about the band being a way to take the easy way out very often. I don't think it is, but who cares if it is? Why not take advantage of a good tool. I would not build a house with just a hand saw if I could use power tools. It is your body, do what you want and let others think what they will.

Easy way out? I don't think so. after battling obesity from the time I was 2 years old, the baand finally gave me the means to win the battle. Almost 6 years later I am still

having little skirmishes althouh I am maintaining my weight loss. Like last night for instance, I made a great dinner- some salad a piece of salmon and some quinoa. I know exactly how much I can eat, but still put too much on my plate. I also knew when I was full, but continued eating past it, and was forced to pay the not so pleasant consequences. Why do I still do that on occasion? I don't know, but every day, with every meal I still need to make the correct choices. And every morning when I wake up I am still amazed that I am no longer fat. Face it- we all have issues with food- I definitely do, and it will continue to be a challenge for me. That's why we are all out here on line supporting each other, learning from each other. I plan to go back to basics today- everything served on a dessert size plate because that's all I can eat! What was I thinking? The point is, I wasn't...mindless eaating is what got me to where I needed the band to gain some control and I am not about to let it take over again.

Maryrose, thank you so much for your post. I need to remember to keep the focus on myself. It really is easy to compare myself to others. I'll never work out 6 days a week, though I have been known to walk (we have a track at work and I have a treadmill at home) at least five. In my early post op days, right after surgery, I walked twice a day.

But I have had some major nonscale victories which, again, I need to remember.

Your post is a great comfort to me. Guess it helps being the same age! :smile2:

Hummingbird, I envy you, and thank you for posting. You are so right when you say we all have our issues, and I appreciate the fact that we can all talk about them openly and honestly here.

Debbie

Thanks Serenity! You go girl!:)

You guys are awesome- so blatantly honest and out there. I admire that. In my sixth year, and maintaining a 250 pound weight loss I sometimes still look for the positive input I was getting every time I saw someone I hadn't seen in a while. I am not getting the - You look great- did you change your hair? Or, OMG you look awesome. My brother who I hadn't seen in over a year at one point told me husband to be careful because in his workds, "my sister looks hot".....great ego boosters, just as the I could do it if I had surgery" remarks are great ego deflators, but the bottom line folks is I DID THIS FOR ME!

The outside acknowledgement is great, but the fact that I now fit in size 10/12, do not take any medications, do not sleep with a C-pap machine, and can get my own luggage out of the overhead on a plane by literally hopping on to the seat and reaching up is all the reward I should need.

There are days that the knowledge that I am in the best health of my life and I am 61 years old is enough, and there are days that I need someone to remind me how far I have come.

I'm not sure I will ever be fully "adjusted" to how I look today in terms of my size. I try, but I still forget and go straight for the handicapped restroom so I will have enough room at restaurants....I am coming to terms with it on a daily basis. The journey continues.

I am so glad I found this thread today... It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that hasn't had an easy time of it. I'm going in to see my surgeon today after 6 months of no weight loss. I fully expect to get yelled at. I've gained 5 pounds.

I'm just over a year and a half out -banded June 2008- and have only lost 60 pounds. (yes, I know that's a lot but I really thought I would lose all of the weight by now. I still have 30 - 40 pounds to go) I love being thinner and think I look cute, and then I realize that I'm still considered a "big" girl.

I get so frustrated sometimes with my band! Ever since my last fill it's been slime and pb city. Sometimes my head hunger takes over and I'm ticked because I can't eat more. This winter has been especially hard for me because I've been craving comfort foods like chili or Beans with cornbread.