Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2010 Bandsters

I was banded 3/10. I am two days post op. Incisions are painful. I have had very little gas pain. The anesthesia was overwhelimg for me. It shut down my bladder so I could not urinate the first day. Once the anesthesia wore off, bladder is working again.

I have been drinking Water, broths, jellos and sugar free popsicles. I had a Protein shake today.

I am looking forward to a little more solid food.

Hope all is well with others.

I've put on a couple pounds. I think it's because I have the excuse of, "I'll never be able to eat that or like that after I get the band, I should do it now!"

Has anyone else gained weight?! YES! I called it my "Farewell to food Tour" (I didn't make that up, I read it somewhere) and I personally think it is quite a natural response to what's coming. I've read some places that some docs get upset if you do that, but mine didn't. In my case, food has been an addiction.

So like a typical addict, when faced with the prospect of "rehab," I embraced my habit because it was about to end. Having had experience with drug and alcohol addicts, I know that they "drink themselves in" to rehab, so it makes perfect sense.

The bottom line is I was banded Mondayl. It's Friday. I stopped being hungry sometime Monday evening and am on my way to a new life. Having the band already seems to be giving me the advantage of not feeling driven by hunger, which gives me the edge I need to conquer emotional eating.

I hope you're not beating yourself up about eating. That was really the point of my answer!

Hi everyone! I've reviewed these boards for some time, posted questions and joined this group but haven't yet introduced myself. I live in the LA area and I am officially banded as of this morning. The experience was totally OK. Immediately after waking up I had some pain/discomfort and was really drowsy. The discomfort went away quickly with the pain meds.

The hospital would not give me anything but Water. So when I got home, I was anxious for something to relieve my sore throat and dry mouth, plus take my pain meds. I can't believe the amount of the liquid painkiller I needed to take (15-30ML). Not great tasting either! It actually left me nauseous for a few minutes. Even the Water I sipped in the car ride home made me a little nauseous. IS this normal? When will it go away? Did you take your pain meds on an empty stomach? I haven't eaten all day but now I find myself scared to eat/drink.

Did anyone have a hiatial hernia repair at the time of their surgery? If so, were you given an special dietary guidelines to follow? I didn't see my doc after surgery and we only spoke for a few minutes beforehand. I have no idea if he put in any restriction. I got the standard 2 weeks liquid and 2 weeks mushy instructions and he told my husband avoid cold things...which i have no idea why and my throat is dying for some ice cold water or some frozen yogurt.

I just finally ate and found it's hard to remember to eat slow..I am so used to rushing as I am always the last to sit down and have to tend to the children's plates. It was strained Soup which I found left me thirsty and with some increased pressure right in the middle of my chest. I am hoping this is from the surgery and not a result of eating.

Oh and the shoulder pain seems to be starting in...

Goood luck to everyone.

Just added my ticker. Day 5 Post Op

weight.png

Starting Weight - 1/8/10

Present Weight - 3/15/10:thumbup:

Edited by smatranga

i got banded on the 1st and just started pureed foods! i started getting hungry like the 3rd or 4th day which made it pretty tough! but just keep telling myself that it is worth it!! i would love to meet someother march bandsters and share our progress with each other!!:thumbup:

i got banded on the 1st and just started pureed foods! i started getting hungry like the 3rd or 4th day which made it pretty tough! but just keep telling myself that it is worth it!! i would love to meet someother march bandsters and share our progress with each other!!:wub:

Hello Mike, Thanks for responding. Let's stay in contact to support each other on our journey. I have my first Doctor visit tomorrow. It will be 6 days post op. I started feeling a little better today; however, my brain is starving.

Keep in Touch.

Steve

Hi, I was banded on the 4th, and started purees yesterday (3 days early, but I feel great and had no problems). Had roast chicken and veges, so good after 3.5 weeks of fluids only. Had a Protein Shake for brekky, flat white for morning tea, diet yoghurt for lunch, and no hunger, except a little before dinner.

I don't get to see my doctor for another month, but his nurse rang to check on me a few days post-op, and I saw my GP to check everything is OK.

Good news - my BP was normal in hospital, so I didn't take my meds. Checked in with my GP 1 week later - still normal. Got it checked today at work - still normal. No meds until I need to, and maybe my 14lb weight loss is making a difference already? Could also be how much less I'm eating, but still good.

Glad to hear everyone sounds happy and positive.

Banded March 12th, on Clear Liquids with a Vitamin drink and doing fine. Port pain mostly, but feeling better every day. I have decided that I prefer Gaviscon Liquid over the gas x strips because it seems to control the gas pains better. I never had the pain in my left shoulder so I'm grateful. Other then that I'm just living one day at a time, and need to really hammer down on my homework this week.

I was banded on the 2nd and have had no sign of my surgery except for the scars since day 4 pre-op.

I started purees a week ago and am not hungry but I am growing kind of bored with them. It's been over 5 weeks since I ate real food. I can hang in there though, it won't be much longer.

I was banded on the 2nd and have had no sign of my surgery except for the scars since day 4 pre-op.

I started purees a week ago and am not hungry but I am growing kind of bored with them. It's been over 5 weeks since I ate real food. I can hang in there though, it won't be much longer.

Can you give me some idea of what you have been eating :scared2:

Hi everyone! I've reviewed these boards for some time, posted questions and joined this group but haven't yet introduced myself. I live in the LA area and I am officially banded as of this morning. The experience was totally OK. Immediately after waking up I had some pain/discomfort and was really drowsy. The discomfort went away quickly with the pain meds.

The hospital would not give me anything but Water. So when I got home, I was anxious for something to relieve my sore throat and dry mouth, plus take my pain meds. I can't believe the amount of the liquid painkiller I needed to take (15-30ML). Not great tasting either! It actually left me nauseous for a few minutes. Even the Water I sipped in the car ride home made me a little nauseous. IS this normal? When will it go away? Did you take your pain meds on an empty stomach? I haven't eaten all day but now I find myself scared to eat/drink.

Did anyone have a hiatial hernia repair at the time of their surgery? If so, were you given an special dietary guidelines to follow? I didn't see my doc after surgery and we only spoke for a few minutes beforehand. I have no idea if he put in any restriction. I got the standard 2 weeks liquid and 2 weeks mushy instructions and he told my husband avoid cold things...which i have no idea why and my throat is dying for some ice cold water or some frozen yogurt.

I just finally ate and found it's hard to remember to eat slow..I am so used to rushing as I am always the last to sit down and have to tend to the children's plates. It was strained Soup which I found left me thirsty and with some increased pressure right in the middle of my chest. I am hoping this is from the surgery and not a result of eating.

Oh and the shoulder pain seems to be starting in...

Goood luck to everyone.

Hi pmommy

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of surgery but there were no different or additional instructions about that. It has BLESSEDLY relieved my horrifying heartburn/reflux and I am so grateful for that. Was banded 3/8. I was really thirsty too and I think it was simply from surgery. I think I'm right about this but someone correct me if not: With the cold liquid/warm liquid thing, I think it's just that many people find cold liquids uncomfortable to drink after surgery. I don't think it hurts you to do that. I asked for ice chips in the hospital and got them.

Good luck!

Hi pmommy

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of surgery but there were no different or additional instructions about that. It has BLESSEDLY relieved my horrifying heartburn/reflux and I am so grateful for that. Was banded 3/8. I was really thirsty too and I think it was simply from surgery. I think I'm right about this but someone correct me if not: With the cold liquid/warm liquid thing, I think it's just that many people find cold liquids uncomfortable to drink after surgery. I don't think it hurts you to do that. I asked for ice chips in the hospital and got them.

Good luck!

also to pmommy,

re the nausea ... I do not get nauseated from pain meds as a rule, but I know many people do, so I think it IS normal.

Can you give me some idea of what you have been eating :scared2:

Last night I had 4 boneless buffalo wing and tossed them in the food processor until they were soupy and 4 ounces of potato salad after I mashed up the potatoes with a spoon.

The night before I had 8 ounces of pinto Beans with 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream. I mushed the Beans with a hand blender.

I strained a can of New England clam chowder for lunch Sunday. I smashed it so the potatoes went through the strainer. Through the bits of clam out.

Those are a few of the things I tried.

But I got the ok about 2 hours ago to try real food!!!!

Day #2 of my liquid preop diet. I started a day early because I was getting so tempted to eat poorly and just decided to start the preop diet. So far so good!

I'm having surgery on March 22nd also!

Rita