Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for March 2010 bandsters threads

Sammy,

i'm on day two of pre-op with surgery date of the 15th. What have you done for pre-op?

Hey there!

I'm on the end of my 3 week preop diet, i had to do Optifast for 3-4 weeks before surgery which is this wednesday the 10th. But because we are ahead of america etc it'll be your tuesday! What does ur preop consist of? My optifast was 3 shakes a day no food except for one sml bowl of green leafy vegies at night!

Hi Sammy

I am having my Surgery in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I did not have to do anything special for the preop..... no special diet. Where are you having yours done?

I go in Monday for a weigh in then Tuesday for the surgery.

Good Luck to you too............ :smile2:

Oh canada how lovely!!

Your lucky you didn't have to do any preop i would of loved to have had some of the foods ive been craving up until now like steak etc i'm so scared i won't be able to have them again.. Tomorrow is monday for me, then only one more day until i go in.. i'm so scared my liver won't be shrunk enough.. do you have a low bmi and starting weight hence why you don't have to do preop?

Are you getting nervous???

GOODLUCKKKkk i'm sure we will do great!

You have NO IDEA how thrilled I am to hear that!! I am getting banded in Mexico on 3/18, 3000 miles from home, worried about complications. . . sounds like yours went perfect, hope mine is as uneventful! Hope you continue to do well - R U hungry now??

Don't worry about pain. That was my only concern and as I said, I never had any.

I have not been hungry in weeks and am kind of losing interest in food all together. I have to keep reminding myself to "drink" another meal.

There are 7 others posting here that were banded on the same day I was. Most of their post-op experiences sound much the same. One guy had a rough first day but appears to be doing great now.

Good luck!!

March 11th here!!

Hi Everyone. Just a quick note to say things are going well. Still having pain mainly by the incisions that are at the port site. I've lost 11 pounds since surgery on 3/2/10. I had lost 15 pounds pre-surgery. I can't believe it. The liquid diet is working but I looking forward to some more consistency in some foods next week. If anyone wants to chat, let me know. This is a new and awesome, sometimes scary experience for me.

weight.png

Hi Everyone. Just a quick note to say things are going well. Still having pain mainly by the incisions that are at the port site. I've lost 11 pounds since surgery on 3/2/10. I had lost 15 pounds pre-surgery. I can't believe it. The liquid diet is working but I looking forward to some more consistency in some foods next week. If anyone wants to chat, let me know. This is a new and awesome, sometimes scary experience for me.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having pain but it just goes to show how everybody is different. I had my surgery the same day and any discomfort I had was gone Friday.

However, I've only dropped 3 pounds since surgery.

Congradulations on your surgery. So how are you feeling today? 6 days later? How is the pain? Shoulder? How about the hunger? Sorry, my surgury is coming up soon and I am so anxious. I have all these questions. Do you mind keeping me updated? Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Thanks.

Thanks!

Surgery was Tuesday afternoon and by Friday afternoon I wouldn't even know I had surgery if it weren't for the scars.

The gas is horrendous for a couple of days but much easier when you are ready for it.

Good luck!

Oh canada how lovely!!

Your lucky you didn't have to do any preop i would of loved to have had some of the foods ive been craving up until now like steak etc i'm so scared i won't be able to have them again.. Tomorrow is monday for me, then only one more day until i go in.. i'm so scared my liver won't be shrunk enough.. do you have a low bmi and starting weight hence why you don't have to do preop?

Are you getting nervous???

GOODLUCKKKkk i'm sure we will do great!

I'm so scared about the liver thing too! I am just hoping that my SugarBusters! diet the doc put me on shrunk it enough...cuz I don't wanna wake up without my band lol!!!

Don't worry about pain. That was my only concern and as I said, I never had any.

I have not been hungry in weeks and am kind of losing interest in food all together. I have to keep reminding myself to "drink" another meal.

There are 7 others posting here that were banded on the same day I was. Most of their post-op experiences sound much the same. One guy had a rough first day but appears to be doing great now.

Good luck!!

That's right some of us had different stories and experiences to tell. I had mine the same day as you (3-2). The gas in only the left shoulder was uncomfortable for a few days, but I am glad I knew to expect it. My most pain is coming from the port site and also I had hiatel hernia done at the same time (very large one he said!). I finally put a warm corn bag on my sore spot last night and I must say it felt so much better. Part of that pain I finally realized was an irritation from some tape or something, a large area. So after a couple days of hydrocortisone cream that's better. At first it was hard to deep breathe as much as I should, but I'm back to normal now. I did some vacumming this morning and did a little raking pine needles out of the flowerbeds Saturday.

I am experimenting with Protein Drinks. For some reason the Muscle milk ready-made isn't very appealing to my taste. I mix it in the bullitt with ice. I'll adjust as I have a case of the darmn stuff. I might mix with some different flavors. But right now I have tried the muscle milk powder, Cookies and creme, blended with ice and it's quite yummy. Like some of you I have to force myself to eat, I just don't think about it (who ever thought!). I am keeping Water, Vitamin water, juice etc by my chair and sipping all day. The sippy cup has helped. When I drink out of anything else right now I seem to gulp too much and know I shouldn't. I took the inside thing out of the sippy cup so the flow is just right now. Jello, pudding, cream Soups, decafs and shakes -that's my menu for a few more days.

I see the surgeon this Friday for my 1st post op.

Hope all is well with all of you, I am so glad now that I decided to have mine in 4 days instead of waiting a week until this Tuesday. I am now a week ahead in my recovery!

Good luck to those waiting, it will all be over so fast you'll never know what hit ya!:thumbup:

I'm sticking with the Optifast shakes and have had a few fat free yogurts. They were on my surgeon's list as liquids. I can start on pureed/mushie food tomorrow.

Post-op is a week from tomorrow.

I'm sticking with the Optifast shakes and have had a few fat free yogurts. They were on my surgeon's list as liquids. I can start on pureed/mushie food tomorrow.

Post-op is a week from tomorrow.

It's so interesting to see what each doctor says. Like pre ops. I had liquids the day before with mag sulfate that night to "clean me out".

I would love some yogurt. But i didn't see that on my list, darn.Lucky you get to go to mushies already tomorrow? I still have to go this route a few more days, some cream of wheat would be nice LOL

Hi

Good to hear everyone is doing so well.

I was banded on March 4th. Days 1 and 2 were easy, but days 3 and 4 I felt like crap. Nausea , sore port site and sore diaphragm mainly (had Hiatus hernia repair too). Drinking was difficult, and I was worried I wasn't getting enough fluids in. Just the thought of Optifast made my stomach churn. The RN rang and was worried, said that's unusual and maybe my stomach was swollen, or I had a stomach bug (diarrhoea as well), and should go and see the surgeon or my GP if no better tomorrow. Unlike the rest of you, I had 4ml put into my port in theatre, so maybe that's the problem? Because I am 'small' - 91kg.

Today I feel a lot better. Wondered if optifast upsetting me as milk-based, so went to shop and bought some pea Protein Powder. Just used it to make a banana smoothie and so far so good. Can take bigger volumes today too. Hopefully will be downhill from here. Need to go to work on Monday, when I'll be mostly on my feet for 8 hrs a day.

Have lost another 2 kg in 5 days since band applied.:thumbup:

Hello Lace. Surgery was fine. The gas pains they talk about afterwards are very real. It helped me to do the heating pad on my back. I did not have it in my shoulder just the middle of my back. I was also lucky enough to have a hernia that needed to be repaired. so with that came some chest pain and hard to catch my breath. Not a hard time breathing but taking the deep breath.

Yesterday was surgery date for me 3/8/09 and today my incisions hurt but the gas pains are gone. Just remember to walk every 90 mins or so.

I am not going to sugar coat it really hurt yesterday. I am still taking my pain meds on a regular bases. I have had my Mom here to help with my kids which has been a God send. I had a hard time sitting in the recliner. Lying in my bed on my side was the best for me.

As for getting in fluids I have not had a problem. I mixed in some clear Protein Drink so I did not feel hungry that worked. I have target brand orange, banana, strawberry sugar-free drink mix with Isopure alpine punch. It tastes alright.

I guess my one big piece of advice for the first day out is to have someone around to help even if you do not have kids.

When is your surgery? If I can answer any other questions let me know. I am very excited to get this journey started.

Hello Lace. Surgery was fine. The gas pains they talk about afterwards are very real. It helped me to do the heating pad on my back. I did not have it in my shoulder just the middle of my back. I was also lucky enough to have a hernia that needed to be repaired. so with that came some chest pain and hard to catch my breath. Not a hard time breathing but taking the deep breath.

Yesterday was surgery date for me 3/8/09 and today my incisions hurt but the gas pains are gone. Just remember to walk every 90 mins or so.

I am not going to sugar coat it really hurt yesterday. I am still taking my pain meds on a regular bases. I have had my Mom here to help with my kids which has been a God send. I had a hard time sitting in the recliner. Lying in my bed on my side was the best for me.

As for getting in fluids I have not had a problem. I mixed in some clear Protein drink so I did not feel hungry that worked. I have target brand orange, banana, strawberry sugar-free drink mix with Isopure alpine punch. It tastes alright.

I guess my one big piece of advice for the first day out is to have someone around to help even if you do not have kids.

When is your surgery? If I can answer any other questions let me know. I am very excited to get this journey started.

Well, I am glad to hear you are doing good. I am very excited for you. My surgury will be sometime in April. My last appointment is March 26. Keep my informed as to how you are doing. Take care and get lots of rest.