Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret Telling Friends ...

I guess you're right, Missy. I'm not familiar with a huge failure rate, if I am defining failure the way you are. The doctor I am seeing has only removed two out of 600. But does failure in your eyes mean lack of success with the tool?

To start with, 25% are removed in the first 2 years. And 45% within 10 years. That doesn't include problems inherent with surgery in general. Infections, reactions to anasthesia, etc. All surgeries are dangerous.

When I have a friend that is considering surgery of any sort, I always suggest a second opinion. Whether my mom's cancer surgery, or a friend's hysterectomy. Friends watch out for one another, in my world.

Weight loss failure is high, just like any other weight loss tool. Not AS high, but high. Few people lose what they hope to lose.

I would have given anything NOT to have needed this surgery. Anyone with common sense would choose NOT to have surgery.

I had friends and family express concern. Good for them!!! I am eternally grateful that i have people that care for me. That isn't an attack. And I sure as heck wouldn't attack them for it. Especially somewhere where they couldn't even defend themselves and their children.

People need to stop looking for something to be offended about, imo. there are truly offensive people and situations in this world. No need to make them up.

Edited by MissyMS

To start with, 25% are removed in the first 2 years. And 45% within 10 years. That doesn't include problems inherent with surgery in general. Infections, reactions to anasthesia, etc. All surgeries are dangerous.

25 + 45 = 70.

Are you trying to say that 70% of lapbands are removed or did I miss something?

25 + 45 = 70.

Are you trying to say that 70% of lapbands are removed or did I miss something?

no. the 45% encompasses the 25%. the 25% was in my lapband literature. I started a thread about it after I read it. another poster showed the higher, 10 year rate.

no. the 45% encompasses the 25%. the 25% was in my LAP-BAND® literature. I started a thread about it after I read it. another poster showed the higher, 10 year rate.

45% stills seems kind of high but I am guessing that includes the old-fashioned bands being replaced with the newer, permanent ones. If so, the number will drop drastically in the next few years once most have been replaced.

The failure rate is more than 50% and this concerned me. When I questioned my surgeon he kind of played it down a little but also said the majority of failures is due to patients not modifying their lifestyle as recommended.

After reading these boards for 6 months, I cannot argue with that logic.

i see your point. I think that it benefits surgeons, even my darling surgeon, to blame failure on the victim, rather than the tool. so i always take that bit of info with a bit of salt.

I still was banded, don't get me wrong. It was a leap of faith, though. There are concerns, which was my point in posting that info on this thread. Expressing them, or being worried about the people looking at surgery (always an issue) is nothing to be offended by, imo. YMMV, of course.

Good luck!

Anyone with common sense would choose NOT to have surgery.

Really? Then count me in with all the others who have no common sense. That being said, I have thouroughly researched the Lap Band, the risks and I am going into this knowing that this is not a magic cure all.

But at the same time, by not treating this as a magic cure all, I am prepared for all the ups and downs that will be associated with having the band and I am committed to changing my life with the HELP of the band.

Plus, I just had laproscopic abdominal surgery 6 months ago and I was perfectly fine afterwards.

And in regards to surgeons blaming the patients, conversly, it is just as easy for those who failed to blame the band for their own failures.

Really? Then count me in with all the others who have no common sense. That being said, I have thouroughly researched the LAP-BAND®, the risks and I am going into this knowing that this is not a magic cure all.

But at the same time, by not treating this as a magic cure all, I am prepared for all the ups and downs that will be associated with having the band and I am committed to changing my life with the HELP of the band.

Plus, I just had laproscopic abdominal surgery 6 months ago and I was perfectly fine afterwards.

And in regards to surgeons blaming the patients, conversly, it is just as easy for those who failed to blame the band for their own failures.

I stand by my statement. It is ignorant to choose surgery if there is a better option. Even a surgeon wouldn't argue that point.

Just because you were fine after a surgery doesn't make all surgery safe or wise.:thumbup:

I should say ETHICAL surgeons. Some are just in it for the buck.

Blaming the victim works really well, until you start having problems!

Edited by MissyMS

I stand by my statement. It is ignorant to choose surgery if there is a better option. Even a surgeon wouldn't argue that point.

Just because you were fine after a surgery doesn't make all surgery safe or wise.:thumbup:

There is no better option for a lot of us. It is a much safer choice than the alternative of letting our weight kill us. I've had a heart attack, it is not fun.

You are right in a way about common sense though. If I had common sense I would not have let myself go so far as to require surgery. I, like most of you did this to myself by sitting on the couch or a bar stool filling my face with crap.

You may think it ignorant to chose surgery if there is a better option, but honestly, for a majority of the patients who have the Lap Band installed, all other options have been exercised.

I know how my body reacts to surgery, I have no problems with anesthesia and yes I do agree that there is a risk, but life is inherently filled with risks. Just because there is a chance that I might get in a car accident on my way home from work does not prevent me from driving a car. I could die slipping in the shower, but those risks are not going to stop me from my daily ritual. By making an educated decision about all things in life you can only hope from the best and choose not live your life in fear. Life in an of itself is a leap of faith, why should getting the lap band be any different?

I have told NO ONE outside of my immediate family and kids and they all know that this is a private decision for me. This has been the best decision for me- my hubby knows that he's the one who has to be my confidant. No one is looking at what I eat when we go out and no one notices that I'm eating smaller and healthier. I just say No Thank You - not really hungry- if someone offers food that I don't want/can't have. I think of the band as "my secret weapon" in my weight loss journey.

lol, whatever...

no one should be concerned about surgery, or friends having surgery. You all live in a weird world. I watch out for my friends and my family, and am thrilled they are willing to do the same for me.

Choosing to be offended over a friend's concern is sad.

Re the TOOL etc.

I have spent so much time thinking about my problems with EMOTIONAL eating that I nearly have lost sight of the fact that the band is to help with things like real, honest HUNGER. Does it really help in that regard? I can't be ONLY eating for emotional reasons ... ??

Re the TOOL etc.

I have spent so much time thinking about my problems with EMOTIONAL eating that I nearly have lost sight of the fact that the band is to help with things like real, honest HUNGER. Does it really help in that regard? I can't be ONLY eating for emotional reasons ... ??

I don't know. I don't usually feel hungry. at least not what i think of as stomach hungry. I feel sugar drops every once in a while. i always figured i was a mutant or something.

i think that a lot of eating we do is "mindless eating." not thought of on my own, but garnered from a book by the same title. it states that much of the eating folks do is based not on hunger, but on other cues, including sight. anyway, probably not what you were looking for, but it is really an interesting read. i've got my 15 year old reading it right now. none of my children are overweight, and I hope to keep them that way. at least to the degree i can.

Re the TOOL etc.

You might benefit from starting a new thread for this one as this thread has gone WAY off topic.

To share my experience about emotional eating...I was banded on 1/13/10 so I am pretty new. The band has forced me to eat smaller meals...I still snack which was something I always did preband - hungry or not. I still snack now even though my surgeon says I should be eating 3 meals a day w/ no Snacks. I still get hungry in between meals and I don't know if I need another fill or if it is just because I am not eating enough calories. My doc said to keep my calories under 1000....I could NEVER have done that pre-band. I log every thing I eat (even the girl scout cookie I had today) and account for everything that goes into my mouth. The band has not taken away my "head hunger" or "emotional eating" or whatever you want to call it when you eat when you are not hungry...but it has drastically reduced my caloric intake and THAT is what causes you to lose weight....consuming fewer calories than you burn.

Floridacocoon--After I got my second fill I was no longer hungry between meals. The only reason I got the band was because I was always hungry. I was hungry 30 min. after I ate. Even before I had surgery I cooked almost everything from scratch and we only eat out about once a month. But I was HUNGRY. I had no Portion Control. Now I am only hungry like that when I go too long without eating, then I will be hungry the rest of the day.

I get physically full when I eat and if I eat one more bite I will start to have chest pain. Sometimes when I get to this point, if I am really enjoying what I am eating, I feel sad that I cant continue eating. This is what "head hunger" means to me.