Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT- Columbus Natives

My sis sent me this and being a Columbus native, I really enjoyed it (grew up in Worthington, DH and I graduated from OSU, and we lived in Highland Lakes up north before moving to Pittsburgh). Enjoy...

You know you're from Columbus (Ohio) when:

• The fact that the German Village Oktoberfest is in September (and not in German Village...) seems perfectly normal.
  • You beam with pride that we're the hometown of Wendy's, White Castle, Rax Roast Beef, Bob Evans and & Donato's. But you wonder why we're the 8th fattest city in America.
  • You remember very vividly City Center & Northland.
  • You know how to pronounce Scioto and Olentangy.
  • You go to The Memorial Tournament at Muirfield just to see and be seen, and you've been rained on there at least once.
  • You see nothing unusual about a street being called East North Broadway.
  • You live in the suburbs but your backyard was actually a cornfield last year. That complex on the corner with the CVS, Blockbuster and Kroger? That was a cornfield last year, too!
  • As you lament the loss of all those cornfields, you see the infinite wisdom of Dublin City Council, who spent over $60,000 on a field of 10' concrete corn ears.
  • You know all of the 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction.
  • You drive 3 hours to see Red White & Boom for 15 minutes...and 4 hours back. But you live 12 minutes away.
  • You know what a real buckeye is and have a recipe for the candy ones.
  • You take it for granted that screaming "O-H"...anytime, anywhere...will get a reply from a stranger saying "I-O"!
  • You don't consider it terribly strange that The Dispatch covers national and international news in a page or two...but requires 6 pages for sports (and 3 of those just for the Buckeyes).
  • You consider going to the Zoo in winter VERY normal...and we're talking real winter...ice and snow and stuff...not just the month of December. And you stopped noticing Jack Hanna's lisp years ago.
  • You have a Buckeye necklace.
  • You think 45 degree weather is justification enough to go through the car wash!
  • You call it pop. Soda is for weirdos.
  • You get chills when you hear Carmen Ohio.
  • You know that Wyandot Lake is NOT a body of Water, and Mad River Mountain is not really a mountain.
  • You say Kroger's...although proper english would be Kroger.
  • You can see a building downtown...but you can't get there due to 500 million one-way streets!
  • You consider this weather pretty much normal:
    Monday: 30 degrees
    Tuesday: 70 degrees
    Wednesday: 45 degrees and humid
    Thursday: -10 wind chill
    Friday: 80 degrees and sunny
  • You take it as a matter of fact that if you don't like the weather today...stick around, it'll change!
  • Though there's not a snowball's chance...the guys like to pretend that all those Victoria's Secret models actually live here, just because the company's based here.
  • One out of every 5 cars has something Buckeye on it.
  • You remember Flippo and Luci's Toy Shop
  • Your big Christmas event as a kid was seeing the window decorations and visiting Santa at Downtown Lazarus
  • You were surprised that there is ANOTHER Hoover Dam in the country
  • You know full well that people drive 10 mph with the first dusting of snow and 65 mph with 2 feet of snow
  • You've never even stopped to question the fact that a bunch of businesses close down on every OSU football game day.
  • You know what The Hospital Curve is
  • You think the standard protocol for a tornado warning is...to grab lawn chairs and head for the front porch.
  • You drive down 670 with your windows open to smell the fresh bread from the Wonder Bread factory and the cinnamon rolls from the Kroger bakery
  • You think there's nothing strange about the city of Westerville being Northeast of Columbus
  • You're fully confident that the word Columbus should always be followed by Ohio

Edited by Band_Groupie

OMG! This was tooooooo funny! :thumbup: Thanks for the giggle:)

PS~ O-H-

I-O! (at the OSU/PSU tailgate before the game).

OK, Don't hate me because my kid went to PSU (yes that's a paw print in facepaint on my Freshman's face...he camped at Paternoville all week too)...Remember OSU won this game and I had 4 family members cheering us on there in Scarlett and Gray. My youngest plays the tuba (and guitar) and can't wait to dot the 'I'.

post-250940-13813139089419_thumb.jpg

And @merc merc, Nnoni and I we are all here to write you more chapters of the Columbus Saga, we all have our slants on things.

They had a pop-up tornado on James Road yesterday, came up so quick,the National Weather Service didn't warn them. Luckily no one injured or killed but they lost a lot of beautiful old- growth trees, always sad when you see them uprooted. Reminds me of the troubles North Carolina had and still is having. And North Carolina is such a pretty pretty state, only been there once but it gave me beautiful memories.😛🌸🌺🍀

And yes I do remember Flippi, and Luci's Toy Shoppe but I also remember Casper the Camel, Sue Lucy and his spider 🐵, Buster Brown and Tige his Dog that lived in a shoe, Chet Long, Jimmy Crum and his " How abouttt that?: Dick Zipf, Joe aH9lbrook and Jym Ganahl when he was thin. He is still living, super plump from Congestive ❤,Failure. I remember Pickerington, Reynoldsburg were small towns, and Marysvile was just a place to visit relatives, before Honda came along. The old days were not always Good Old Days, just different Old Days. Like much,of life, you win some , you lose some but it still beats dying all hollow! And Ohio is Mid-America, a good place to be and a Good Place to grow up! And I am sure your states, your provinces, and your own countries are the same! 🌴😛🌺💦🌸🍀🌈

@Frustr8 why would you revive a post from almost 9 years ago? ESP when this user hasn't logged in since 2012.

it tantized me, I remember a lot of the things the other posters did.

tantilize, I do hate smartphones and spell check on many days..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches