Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 weeks since surgery...Can I have a freakin drink??

So its been almost 4 weeks. I'm feeling awesome. I have lost 20 pounds (some from the pre-op diet). I walk at least 3 miles everyday...even weekends. I'm eating exactly what i'm supposed to and I even got my first fill yesterday....

I'm going to one of my favorite bars tomorrow night and I just want a drink! Cape cod! Every time I ask my Dr or some other professional they always say "For successful weight loss alcohol is not recommended". Duh...I am fully aware of that! I just want to know that if I have a drink (or 2) will I be OK? How will drinking effect me now?

Any stories, suggestions, or comments would be awesome!

Thank you!

From what I understand drinks will make you "drunk" more quickly. Probably not bad news lol. The only concern is calories, as I think you already know. Have a good time at the bar.

I have was banded Dec.14 and I have had several glasses of wine off and on since then. I don't feel any different then before the band. It has to be because of the empty calories. I would just be sure to get in some good aerobic excerise over the weekend offset the drink.

You know, if you are really serious about losing wieght, you need to consider giving up the booze. It is NOT conducive to good health OR weight loss, regardless of what some small studies say about the occasional glass of wine.

Don't get me wrong; I always enjoyed a good blast of hootch, but NOTHING could make me feel as good as I do as a thin person.

Sure, you could have a drink occasionally; you could also have a snickers on occasion. Or a Hot Fudge Sundae. But why would you want to, after everything you have been through with your weight?

It's the little decisions that we make on a moment to moment basis that impacts our health so dramatically. A shot of booze here, some cheez whiz there,....it all adds up. And you don't NEED a drink to be happy or have fun....if you DO,....well,,,,there are perhaps some other issues that you might want to address

I have been told to wait at least 6 weeks before consuming alcohol, but I was also told that about excercise. I'm not much of a drinker so it doesn't matter to me if I could or not. I do however want to begin an excercise routine.

Edited by TinaMay

You know, if you are really serious about losing wieght, you need to consider giving up the booze. It is NOT conducive to good health OR weight loss, regardless of what some small studies say about the occasional glass of wine.

Don't get me wrong; I always enjoyed a good blast of hootch, but NOTHING could make me feel as good as I do as a thin person.

Sure, you could have a drink occasionally; you could also have a snickers on occasion. Or a Hot Fudge Sundae. But why would you want to, after everything you have been through with your weight?

It's the little decisions that we make on a moment to moment basis that impacts our health so dramatically. A shot of booze here, some cheez whiz there,....it all adds up. And you don't NEED a drink to be happy or have fun....if you DO,....well,,,,there are perhaps some other issues that you might want to address

Sheesh, lighten up already! We have to have normal lives. Yes, we know the occasional drink or cookie is not good for us, but the operative word is occasional.

I also heard that a little alcohol goes a long way, so I'd say drink v e r y slowly and follow with a glass of Water. Do more talking with your friends than drinking, pick a DD, and enjoy yourself.

I would say you're fine, but understand that I'm not an expert. I can tell you, however, that most people are effected quite differently after surgery by alcohol. I drink only about 4 times per year but since being banded I get pretty tipsy after about 1/2 of a drink. I'm quite the light weight! LOL

Have fun and be safe!

Sheesh, lighten up already! We have to have normal lives. Yes, we know the occasional drink or cookie is not good for us, but the operative word is occasional.

I also heard that a little alcohol goes a long way, so I'd say drink v e r y slowly and follow with a glass of Water. Do more talking with your friends than drinking, pick a DD, and enjoy yourself.

It is, indeed, that kind of thinking that brings many people to the point of needing Weight Loss Surgery. Again....it's the accumulation of small, poor choices in eating that help to contribute to the predicament that we are all in.

There are certain things you need to eat to live....alchohol is one of those things you do NOT need. And it can hurt you in a number of ways.

Also, consider the very real idea that after you have had one or two drinks, your will-power does tend to diminish, if not vanish entirely. This could lead to more drinks, and then the snacking that can often accompany a buzz.

This is all about making changes. And giving up the ingestion of totally hollow calories is a small price to pay for robust health. As far as leading "normal lives", just consider what state of "normal" you are in now, having to have an artificial device implanted inside of you to keep you from eating too much. Really....how "normal" is that?

It is that version of "normal" that put us all in the position that we are in today. I think you need to re-think your concept of what "normal" is.

Most things in life are OK in moderation.

That includes food, alcohol, shopping, gambling...etc...etc. I could go on for days, but the fact of the matter is that this is all a learning experience because if we were all able to "control" ourselves and all of our things in moderation we wouldn't be on this board.:biggrin:

So, with that....I have indulged twice since being banded. Prior to healthy lifestyle, I could easy drink a small bottle of wine at a holiday or dinner party. Since the band...half way through the first glass, I am buzzed. I like my new life!

LOL I love the title of your post. YES, you can have a freakin drink for sure!!! It will not hurt your band and your stomach will process it the same as it did pre-band. Those that say that it goes to their head faster... that can be explained just by the fact that taking in fewer calories (like being on any diet), you will get tipsy/drunk faster because you have less food in your stomach.

Of course, it is high in calories, and they are empty calories so you gotta watch that aspect of it (just like you would on a diet). And, just like someone who loves Cookies and has one or two as a treat, that is fine if you can really stop at one or two. If you gotta eat the whole bag once you get started, then you are surely better off just giving it up.

I think its great that you are already thinking about doing extra exercise to make up for it. Also, make sure to drink extra Water (since alcohol is dehydrating).

i cant get over spartans post.. If we all could just give up Drinking and eating bad stuff we wont need to have surgery...

Please.. Go and have a drink.. You are allowed to cheat everyone once in a while, I know NO ONE who eats perfectly everyday for their WHOLE LIFE!

i cant get over spartans post.. If we all could just give up Drinking and eating bad stuff we wont need to have surgery...

Please.. Go and have a drink.. You are allowed to cheat everyone once in a while, I know NO ONE who eats perfectly everyday for their WHOLE LIFE!

Yes...if we only could give it all up!! I was banded not long after the original poster, and I have been cheating too much because I have zero restriction. I have to get back on track!

A glass or two of wine every now and then is not going to hurt you. Just like a piece of pizza or a cookie every now and then will not hurt. My doctor is the one that told me that too. Go enjoy yourself! Cause trust me, I would love to have a glass of wine...just don't have any in the house and haven't been out to eat. lol

Lol!

You guys are pretty funny. You know, honestly, I really don’t care all that much if you drink or not, so knock yourself out. Have one for me, while you’re at it.

But I’ll just finish with this, and you can do what you want with the information (you’ll probably drink it…lol)

Sure, you can drink. Sure you can have that piece of pizza, that slice of cake.

But will that move you ANY closer to your goal? Nope. Will it keep you away from your goal? A little, tiny bit, yes. And it will continue to expose you to the foods that made you fat to begin with. Sure will.

A couple of you have said your Drs have said that it is OK to have a drink.. The OP said that her dr advised her not to. You will find Drs that say both.

But….I would challenge you to ask any Dr if it would be better that you did NOT have a drink/Pizza/whatever. I can guarantee you that probably %100 would say that it would be better if you didn’t.

But, that’s up to you. You really don’t seem to want to give your band the best chance it has to succeed. And, if you have been a good student prior to your band installation, you will have learned that the Lap Band has a fairly low rate of complete success. And one of the reasons is because people want to continue living pretty much the same way they are now. They want the band to do all the work. And guess what: it won’t.

So, go on booze it up. And I’ll check back here with you in a year or so and see how you’re doing. I can pretty well predict how you’ll be doing. If you succeed, then you will be very lucky.

And me? I am at my perfect weight…happy, healthy, and enjoying my life a great deal. And I do wish that for you. I just don’t think you’re going to achieve it with that attitude. Good Luck!

Bypass impairs absorption and can make you intoxicated more quickly. If you have the band and it happens, odds are it's psychological.

But by all means, do what you want. Why on earth would you listen to your doctor? What a foolish notion.