Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Wow Jodi Great for you! I wish I could say No to some foods :eek: . Losing weight during PASSOVER! Great job!

Now, i dont know what its like to hate working out, but Just remember every time you workout (exercise) you are taking one more step to reaching your goal ( baby steps wins the race!) :lol: I love working out and use the time as me time and Thinking time.

How is everyone else feeling? What is everyone else eating? Drinking? exercizing?? etc etc. I feel like i can eat anything now..and drink alot at once. I dont dare tempt the fate....so am being very careful and wont eat anything other then mushies and drinking slow but steady. Im not hungry most times....but sometimes I get what I called hunger pangs! They actually hurt and make so much noise then I know I need to eat something...but that doesnt happen often thank god. I do feel like I need to eat more often so I eat a little something every four hours and drink in between; anyone else feel like they dont have a band anymore? It doesnt feel like it did three weeks ago thats for sure! [/Quote]

I am having problems with drinking with meals :cool: I know i am not supposed to but its been so hard! So i have been trying to drink smaller and smaller amount after time. I told the doctor too, he said i will learn to be able to not drink with meals with time.

So now that weve lost some weight and Im sure people have started noticing somewhat....what are your feelings about this? Are people surprised? not....asking questions?? what are your responses to them? Are you telling them that you had surgery? what have been their responses? Interested in all of your experiences so far. Lets talk about this.

When I first decided to have this surgery i thought I would keep it a secret but I havent. I have told people and alot of the people i work with comment on my weight loss every day! I personally know this wasnt the easy way out and i know i am working hard to lose what i am , so i am not ashamed to tell people i had the surgery. I am hoping that i can encourage others that want to lose weight to get this lives together and lose the weight too.. Dont get me wrong i am not broadcasting it everyone, but when people ask i tell them.

Its great that you have no regained. I dont have a scale at my home so I am not sure of my weight loss. I go in for a weigh in and fill tomorrow. I can not wait to see what I have lost if I have lost anymore. I have been working out everyday and I dont know if that is enough. I want the weight to be falling off and I know that wont happen till I reach my sweet spot. I can eat more then I should be able to and when I stop eating I am hungry still. I am taking in the amount of Protein that I should be taking in, I dont know. I am not eating what I am not suppose to. I have no had bread, Pasta, or rice since before surgery and my pre op diet. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I wish i could afford to go to the gym.:cool:

You dont need a gym, there are tons of body weight exercises you can do, plus go outside and walk :eek:

Just remember, you didnt put the weight on overnight and its not going to come off overnight. Slow and steady will come with WAY better results.. Keep your head up :lol:

Just checking in. I'm five weeks post op today. I'll try to avoid the "only" word and just say I've lost 10 pounds since surgery; mostly in the first three weeks. I can now eat normal food - and alot more than I should - so thankfully my first fill is tomorrow.

I'm trying to be honest with myself - the decision to have the procedure, the rapid process thru pre-surgery and the ensuing excitement helped me lose 30 pounds prior to the big day. I feel like I'm drifting back to old(bad) eating habits and realize that I need to work with a therapist to get around what's driving me to eat. Why would I rather eat McDonald's which I know is bad on so many levels, than a healthy meal? Why do I continue to eat Snacks rather than meals? Why do I start the day with good intentions and by late afternoon blow them out the door?

One good thing about the band is that despite only losing 10 lbs in five weeks, I have not re-gained. Now there's a ringing endorsement for my success!:cool:

I admit i am kinda is the same boat as you, but I know that this is a lifestyle change, I cant sit here and say i will never eat mcdonalds.. I actually ate there today, but I am making better choices that i would have made prior to surgery. If I make little changes and make better choices everyday eventally i will be making awesome choices everyday :eek:

Hang in there, you are doing good! Does you Surgeon have a support group? I am SURE there are other people that struggle with these things too!

I do still have restriction and if I dont feel full know when to stop eating tho, or else I get stuck. As for the BM's I have had normal ones for me... I wasnt normal before surgery at all. Since surgery I have been going regularly like everyone is suppose to.

I will keep everyone posted.:cool:

I am a month out This friday and I still feel a good bit of restrication too, Just wondered if you did too.. Please let us know how your fill goes!

I am a month out This friday and I still feel a good bit of restrication too, Just wondered if you did too.. Please let us know how your fill goes!

I have some restriction, its not to bad. I just wish I was at my sweet spot already. I am very active even though I hate to work out. I do a lot of at home exercises and it all gets to be the same routine. I would like to get out and join the gym, but financially right now I can not afford a gym membership. I will update again tomorrow on my first fill and how it goes also my weightloss/gain progress since one week after surgery. I hope its not bad.:cool:

Good Luck on your first fill tomorrow - excited to hear how it goes. I have my first fill Thursday and am SO excited!!!

Banded 3/5 350lb

4/13 321lb (-29lb)

First Fill 3/15

I am a month post op also. My first fill is May 6. But I too have some restriction. But i don't understand how you can eat mcdonalds. If i eat three or four fries, i feel it get stuck half way down and i end up barfing it back up. Even meat gives me problems, even if I chew chew chew. So i avoid most meats and fries i certainly don't need. If i eat at mealtime, i can eat about 1 cup of food total and that's about it. Any more and i feel it flowing back up. But again, after i eat that i'm not hungry. my eyes might think i want something else, but it's no use even trying to eat it, because it wouldn't go down anyway. So i guess that's what it's all about. the good part, i'm getting use to not having bread, sweets, a lot meat etc. And it doesn't bother me.

I've lost 22 lbs since March 16 and feel inches creeping off also. I'm happy and don't regret the banding.

I am a month post op also. My first fill is May 6. But I too have some restriction. But i don't understand how you can eat mcdonalds. If i eat three or four fries, i feel it get stuck half way down and i end up barfing it back up. Even meat gives me problems, even if I chew chew chew. So i avoid most meats and fries i certainly don't need. If i eat at mealtime, i can eat about 1 cup of food total and that's about it. Any more and i feel it flowing back up. But again, after i eat that i'm not hungry. my eyes might think i want something else, but it's no use even trying to eat it, because it wouldn't go down anyway. So i guess that's what it's all about. the good part, i'm getting use to not having bread, sweets, a lot meat etc. And it doesn't bother me.

I've lost 22 lbs since March 16 and feel inches creeping off also. I'm happy and don't regret the banding.

Congrats on the 22lbs!

I dont know, Didnt have a problem with the McD's. I had a hamburger without the top bun, Ate about 1/2 of that and about 1/2 a small fry.. Bread doesnt seem to bother me, Really havent found anything that has stuck.. But the other thing is, my doctor is aware, I have been drinking with meals :cool: I am trying so hard to stop..

Yay so I had my first fill today, and it wasnt bad. Although a little difficult getting the port on the first try. I have lost 6 more lbs!!!!!! Im down 22 since one week pre op. So 22 lbs in a little over a month isnt bad.

THey put 4cc's in my band which is cool, I go back in 4 weeks for another one. I cant wait. Today is liquids, tomorrow is soft foods and Ill be back on my full diet friday.

:cool:

Yay so I had my first fill today, and it wasnt bad. Although a little difficult getting the port on the first try. I have lost 6 more lbs!!!!!! Im down 22 since one week pre op. So 22 lbs in a little over a month isnt bad.

THey put 4cc's in my band which is cool, I go back in 4 weeks for another one. I cant wait. Today is liquids, tomorrow is soft foods and Ill be back on my full diet friday.

:thumbup:

Awesome Congrats! :thumbup: Did the fill hurt?

Awesome Congrats! :thumbup: Did the fill hurt?

No it was weird though. I had to do a crunch and the Dr found the port. Then drew a circle around the port and got the needle ready. THe dr didnt get it on the first try but I ended up with 4cc's Im happy. liquids today softs tomorrow and then regular on friday. Not to bad I go back may 10th to get another one! It is a little sore now.

Hi all....hope you are all having a good week.

Well.....this week has been really busy and all with taxes due tomorrow. Got my in today and glad I did...as I will be getting a return on both fed and state....thats a first!

So, food is getting a bit boring now. Mushy foods are well mushy and I want to start chewing? Tired of the grinding and blending. The foods are basic. A poached egg for Breakfast, Protein shake for lunch, ground something for lunch and a dairy cheese something for snack...water, Water water...and dinner about 5 forkfuls of fish. Then its Water water water.

This week...I thought I need something else...im going bonkers. So, I added steel cut oats, chumus with white Beans, and chili. These are also mushy foods.

Next week I will go to reg foods and maybe get a fill the following...maybe ill get one next week..not sure.

I have some restriction, its not to bad. I just wish I was at my sweet spot already. I am very active even though I hate to work out. I do a lot of at home exercises and it all gets to be the same routine. I would like to get out and join the gym, but financially right now I can not afford a gym membership. I will update again tomorrow on my first fill and how it goes also my weightloss/gain progress since one week after surgery. I hope its not bad.:thumbup:

How about a Y? or a Community center? The parks dept runs several different activity centers around NY one or two in different boros. Do they have any where you are? I know that they have one here in Far Rockaway that I visited that cost 50 dollars a year. The place was a dump but the exercise room was brand new! There are several others in other boros that were brand new and gorgeous. However If this site was closer to home and had a car park I would have joined, regardless of the dumpy building.

I ended up joining the gym and am paying $68 monthly. I dont have this money but I cannot and do not do exercise so must must have help.

I signed up for their spring training deal which is 6 sessions for 50 bucks. Im onto my second session and I know there would be no way in hell I would do any of what this trainer gets me to with him. So, this is where I think I will be spending my money for the next year. Money I dont have but I hope will be well worth it. I was supposed to be going to do the cardio equipment on the days I dont train with him privately as of yet...that um hasnt happened.

Im hoping for tomorrow. Im just so busy and I have my daughter that im not sure about how to schedule time.

No it was weird though. I had to do a crunch and the Dr found the port. Then drew a circle around the port and got the needle ready. THe dr didnt get it on the first try but I ended up with 4cc's Im happy. liquids today softs tomorrow and then regular on friday. Not to bad I go back may 10th to get another one! It is a little sore now.

Cool. So glad you got it though....I allready know exactly what it feels like as in the hospital they took out some that first day....so im not nurvous at all, now im just nurvous about how im going to be afterwards, if ill start to throw up again like the first night and have to have them take out the solution. Just take it slow...if you feel its too much when you start eating again go back to liquids for a day or so. Take it slow, let us know how you do. Hope all goes well.

Thats great. 22llbs is great!! Good going!! I agree, the thought of eating a fry?? Im afraid just thinking about the possible after affects. I did have a small chili from Wendys they are only 170 cal. and are only meat and Beans. Thats as far as any fast food I hope to go.

Its interesting....I hear what you are saying about the eating. I dont feel like I have the band in at all any more. I can drink about 8 oz now at a time well not at one time but over a few minuets. Two weeks ago I couldnt drink two oz so fast.....I can eat, just like you said but after a few bites of whatever it is I stop but I think I can keep eating....Im not really sure when ive had enough? or when I should have had enough? when I should stop? am I not eating enough?

I asked this at the support group. They said are you feeling full? if so your good. Are you eating when you are hungry? if so good. The thing about the band is...they said.....is its not a switch....its not going to shut off when youve had enough and not allow you to eat more after. Its your brain that needs to say..stop youve had enough thats it.

This is the hard part...this is retraining your brain...the same brain..that needs to learn to say noooo Im not going to have this food or that food etc etc, Its all about changing the way we think about food...and the way we eat...if we dont do that then no diet, no band, nothing is going to help, the band is a tool only. We have to do the work ourselves in changing the foods and how we eat them.

I have gone out to eat with friends and family and I will have fish. Its good that I like fish otherwise id be a very unhappy camper. I did have steamed fish for the first time last night and um that didnt go over well. Had no taste but it was a chinese restaurant so no special orders was allowed. Grilled or baked would have been fine.

Live and learn I guess. Ive limited my total carb to 8% per meal and sugar intake to no more then 5-7 grams of sugar, not really concerned with calories or fat as the numbers above wont be anything to worry about with fat or too many calories.

I also havent had any of the "whites" and I really dont miss them...hope that will continue! Its been two months and im not going to anytime soon. (I hope).

Wow Jodi Great for you! I wish I could say No to some foods :Dancing_wub: . Losing weight during PASSOVER! Great job!

Yes,,,,I laugh thinking about that one!

Now, i dont know what its like to hate working out, but Just remember every time you workout (exercise) you are taking one more step to reaching your goal ( baby steps wins the race!) :thumbs_down: I love working out and use the time as me time and Thinking time.

okay.....I will remember that thanks....baby steps!!

I am having problems with drinking with meals :thumbup: I know i am not supposed to but its been so hard! So i have been trying to drink smaller and smaller amount after time. I told the doctor too, he said i will learn to be able to not drink with meals with time.

OMG..me too..cant get enough liquids throughout the day for sure....getting about maybe 40oz and thats maybe. I havent had trouble as of yet with drinking with meals but when something is hard to go down....I want a little to help it but only done that a few times...keep thinking how my stomach will expand if I do...oh the nightmares! that keeps me on tract most days. I try not to have any glass near me when I eat so im not tempted to drink at the same time.

My problem is the waiting either before of after...that 30 minute. I hate that....how do I know when i will eat??

Means I have to do some planning and I dont like to plan.. I just want to eat when im hungry and eat when thirsty.

I guess its all about changing the way we think about food and eating.

As for you....take your advice.....slow, baby steps....lol its good advice!

When I first decided to have this surgery i thought I would keep it a secret but I havent. I have told people and alot of the people i work with comment on my weight loss every day! I personally know this wasnt the easy way out and i know i am working hard to lose what i am , so i am not ashamed to tell people i had the surgery. I am hoping that i can encourage others that want to lose weight to get this lives together and lose the weight too.. Dont get me wrong i am not broadcasting it everyone, but when people ask i tell them.

I tell people right away.....they say wow you look great...what is it?? you lost weight.. have you? and I tell them. Yes, I have ive gotten the lap band and they ask questions and thats it. Most people are supportive....havent as of yet had any negative feedback...im sure that will come soon enough.

Encouragement and education is really important, keep up the great work!! well must go to sleep. Long day ahead tomorrow.

Have a great night all and keep up the great work all!!! Its olmost a month for everyone pretty much.....and we are olmost up to getting our first fills. Let us know how that goes for everone.....Good luck for all those who are getting their fills this week!!!

Jodi

Hi all....hope you are all having a good week.

Well.....this week has been really busy and all with taxes due tomorrow. Got my in today and glad I did...as I will be getting a return on both fed and state....thats a first!

So, food is getting a bit boring now. Mushy foods are well mushy and I want to start chewing? Tired of the grinding and blending. The foods are basic. A poached egg for Breakfast, Protein shake for lunch, ground something for lunch and a dairy cheese something for snack...water, Water water...and dinner about 5 forkfuls of fish. Then its Water water water.

This week...I thought I need something else...im going bonkers. So, I added steel cut oats, chumus with white Beans, and chili. These are also mushy foods.

Next week I will go to reg foods and maybe get a fill the following...maybe ill get one next week..not sure.

How about a Y? or a Community center? The parks dept runs several different activity centers around NY one or two in different boros. Do they have any where you are? I know that they have one here in Far Rockaway that I visited that cost 50 dollars a year. The place was a dump but the exercise room was brand new! There are several others in other boros that were brand new and gorgeous. However If this site was closer to home and had a car park I would have joined, regardless of the dumpy building.

I ended up joining the gym and am paying $68 monthly. I dont have this money but I cannot and do not do exercise so must must have help.

I signed up for their spring training deal which is 6 sessions for 50 bucks. Im onto my second session and I know there would be no way in hell I would do any of what this trainer gets me to with him. So, this is where I think I will be spending my money for the next year. Money I dont have but I hope will be well worth it. I was supposed to be going to do the cardio equipment on the days I dont train with him privately as of yet...that um hasnt happened.

Im hoping for tomorrow. Im just so busy and I have my daughter that im not sure about how to schedule time.

Cool. So glad you got it though....I allready know exactly what it feels like as in the hospital they took out some that first day....so im not nurvous at all, now im just nurvous about how im going to be afterwards, if ill start to throw up again like the first night and have to have them take out the solution. Just take it slow...if you feel its too much when you start eating again go back to liquids for a day or so. Take it slow, let us know how you do. Hope all goes well.

Thats great. 22llbs is great!! Good going!! I agree, the thought of eating a fry?? Im afraid just thinking about the possible after affects. I did have a small chili from Wendys they are only 170 cal. and are only meat and Beans. Thats as far as any fast food I hope to go.

Its interesting....I hear what you are saying about the eating. I dont feel like I have the band in at all any more. I can drink about 8 oz now at a time well not at one time but over a few minuets. Two weeks ago I couldnt drink two oz so fast.....I can eat, just like you said but after a few bites of whatever it is I stop but I think I can keep eating....Im not really sure when ive had enough? or when I should have had enough? when I should stop? am I not eating enough?

I asked this at the support group. They said are you feeling full? if so your good. Are you eating when you are hungry? if so good. The thing about the band is...they said.....is its not a switch....its not going to shut off when youve had enough and not allow you to eat more after. Its your brain that needs to say..stop youve had enough thats it.

This is the hard part...this is retraining your brain...the same brain..that needs to learn to say noooo Im not going to have this food or that food etc etc, Its all about changing the way we think about food...and the way we eat...if we dont do that then no diet, no band, nothing is going to help, the band is a tool only. We have to do the work ourselves in changing the foods and how we eat them.

I have gone out to eat with friends and family and I will have fish. Its good that I like fish otherwise id be a very unhappy camper. I did have steamed fish for the first time last night and um that didnt go over well. Had no taste but it was a chinese restaurant so no special orders was allowed. Grilled or baked would have been fine.

Live and learn I guess. Ive limited my total carb to 8% per meal and sugar intake to no more then 5-7 grams of sugar, not really concerned with calories or fat as the numbers above wont be anything to worry about with fat or too many calories.

I also havent had any of the "whites" and I really dont miss them...hope that will continue! Its been two months and im not going to anytime soon. (I hope).

I tell people right away.....they say wow you look great...what is it?? you lost weight.. have you? and I tell them. Yes, I have ive gotten the LAP-BAND® and they ask questions and thats it. Most people are supportive....havent as of yet had any negative feedback...im sure that will come soon enough.

Encouragement and education is really important, keep up the great work!! well must go to sleep. Long day ahead tomorrow.

Have a great night all and keep up the great work all!!! Its olmost a month for everyone pretty much.....and we are olmost up to getting our first fills. Let us know how that goes for everone.....Good luck for all those who are getting their fills this week!!!

Jodi

I wasnt worried or nervous about it hurting. I have 19 tattoo's and I am not afraid of needles. The Dr was like obviously not since I see yoru tattoos after saying are you nervous about the big needle. It was amusing.Glad you are doing well. The fitness center where my bariatric surgeon is cost 52 monthly or 37 monthly depending on if you want restricted hours or not. This is basically the discount for bariatric patients I will talk about it at support group on monday. Ill try and get some insight on some of this. Im excited 22 lbs in one month, the Dr said that most people gain weight before a fill and was so happy that I lost 6 lbs since my last appointment. Well I am off to sleep my port sight is a little sore from the fill today, she had to poke around a little,

Hi Guys,

Had my first fill today and a meeting with the nutritionist. I was really nervous about the fill, and even though it took a but of rooting aroung, in reality it only took about 30 seconds. I even asked him if he was sure that he got it in the port:smile2: Didn't hurt at all. I found out that I have a 10cc band and 2.5 cc fill today. Surgeon said that most people find their sweet spot around 7cc.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks and I am down 30 pounds. I know this is still the honeymoon stage, but I am SO happy!!! Yesterday my MD took me off my blood pressure meds, and since the surgery I have not found it necessary to take my Nexium - I AM ON NO MEDS:thumbup:

Tonight, tomorrow's breakfast and lunch I am on liquids - then Mushies for 2 meals and then back to soft food for a day.

Six weeks until my next fill.

Cynthia

Surgery 3-5-10 350lb

First Fill 4-15-10 2.5cc

Current 4-15-10 320lb

Hi Guys,

Had my first fill today and a meeting with the nutritionist. I was really nervous about the fill, and even though it took a but of rooting aroung, in reality it only took about 30 seconds. I even asked him if he was sure that he got it in the port:smile2: Didn't hurt at all. I found out that I have a 10cc band and 2.5 cc fill today. Surgeon said that most people find their sweet spot around 7cc.

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks and I am down 30 pounds. I know this is still the honeymoon stage, but I am SO happy!!! Yesterday my MD took me off my blood pressure meds, and since the surgery I have not found it necessary to take my Nexium - I AM ON NO MEDS:thumbup:

Tonight, tomorrow's breakfast and lunch I am on liquids - then Mushies for 2 meals and then back to soft food for a day.

Six weeks until my next fill.

Cynthia

Surgery 3-5-10 350lb

First Fill 4-15-10 2.5cc

Current 4-15-10 320lb

Thats great down 20 lbs! I lost 22! the fill doesnt hurt. I dont know about you but some places numb the area, my Dr.'s office doesnt and it took two tries to get it but I was out of there in 10 minutes. My Dr puts in 4 cc's the first time, then not sure how many the next, but we go in every 4 weeks for a fill! Goodluck!