Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Your question about feeling your port. No, I can't either! Surgery was March 8. Today is the 11th. I'm still puffy I think, from the gas pumped into my abdomen for the operation. My left shoulder still hurts now and then, and I have a lot of gurgling too, but I think I figured out it's when I drink something too fast and it's too cold.

Hi Everyone,

My surgery is scheduled for March 30th. I went to the initial seminar in February, saw my PCP the very next day, had my psych exam a couple days later and met with the surgeon March 4th. As you can imagine, it’s been a pretty intense month!

I have researched weightloss surgeries about three times in the past and decided against it due to the fact that I overanalyze way too much! As a matter of fact I am still overanalyzing but this time is a little different because I have this forum.

I still have tons of concerns like why was 25% of my class filled with those who have to have the surgery again due to slippage? Did they cheat or eat wrong or is it just wear & tear? I’m also scared of the surgery itself, I’ve never had surgery before and it’s a little overwhelming! Another HUGE concern is the pre-op diet I’ve heard a lot of in the discussions, my surgeon is only making me drink liquids 24hrs before. I see the pre-op is to reduce the size of your liver, I’m no doctor but I’d guess mine is pretty big. Should I go on a liquid diet to reduce the risk even though it isn’t required??? So many questions…so little time! I guess that’s probably a good thing for someone like me…it seems the more I know the more nervous I get!!!

I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

that's great news marisa, about your surgery date and all. I have only a 24 hours pre-op diet also. My surgery is March 16 and I am self pay. You're lucky your insurance is paying. Mine wouldn't touch it.:laugh:

From all the research I've done and all the chats i've talked to, we're doing the right thing.

I'm 5'5'' and 265 lbs. I'm 54 years old, but for once in my life, I want to be thin. Maybe 145 lbs.

So good luck. I'll be in touch.:blushing:

Tomorrow is my day :blushing: I have a lot of different emotions running through my head right now!! I'm not scared of the procedure itself, or even that fact I'm having it in Mexico, but moreso how I am going to be afterwards. I want my life to change, but I don't want to become so vain that I'm a scale watcher and a slave to it.

So, with that being said...God please give me the strength to remain humble!!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well pre and post surgery. Mine was done on march 2 and I stepped on the scale for the 1st time since the surgery and I'm down 9lbs!!! 9lbs in a little over a week! It's amazing! All this "fighting" I have been doing with my head when it's saying "you're hungry Theresa, it's time to eat" is paying off and it feels great! I'm doing super on the full liquid diet and can't wait so see what's in store! Well wishes to all!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well pre and post surgery. Mine was done on march 2 and I stepped on the scale for the 1st time since the surgery and I'm down 9lbs!!! 9lbs in a little over a week! It's amazing! All this "fighting" I have been doing with my head when it's saying "you're hungry Theresa, it's time to eat" is paying off and it feels great! I'm doing super on the full liquid diet and can't wait so see what's in store! Well wishes to all!

Great job, I actually stepped on the scale for the first time after surgery on wednesday and I was down 8lbs from 3am after surgery. but gladly 16 lbs down since my one week pre-op diet. SO glad to actually be seeing the numbers going down, not bouncing back and forth. Finally, so I am also working on my progress with foods, I was able to eat broccoli great but it was like mush.=) I like it steamed and sauteed til it is mush though so I had no problem with it.

To the person looking for their port, it takes like a week after surgery to actually be able to tell where it is and feel it. I have to be laying down to find it sometimes, at first that is how I found my port. on your week post op appt, ask your doctor to show you.

Awesome Stevie! :frown:

I hope to lose some weight from this pre-op diet. My scale isn't moving very much. I know - don't check it every day but I do because I'm a nosy body. LOL! It's moved maybe a pound. Ugh. I'm on day 5 of my preop. It's getting easier. I no longer want to stab people who are carrying food. Ha ha ha!

Of course, today I had a co-worker shame me for having the surgery. That was fun... NOT. :frown: I don't get people sometimes. Oh well...

Good morning once again. So after my little moment of anxiety yesterday. My son made me realize, without even knowing it, that I HAVE to have this surgery and stick with all the rules!! Last night my 5 year old son brought me a picture he had drawn for me. It was a picture of me laying in bed and him bringing me a book to read. Sweet right. The sad thing is that I spend most of my time in bed. If I am not doing the cooking or the cleaning. We lay in my bed and read at night and color or watch a movie. It is always my husband that takes the kids outside to play. I hardly ever go because it makes me so tired to chase them around and then I am embarrassed that I catch them. I did play a little T-ball with him over the weekend and that kicked my butt. It was fun though and I am looking forward to doing more things with all three of my kids with the more weight that I lose. Tomorrow starts my pre-op diet but I have been doing Protein shakes for Breakfast for the last two weeks and started adding them for lunch this week. Now I will just have to cut out the 2 high Protein Snacks per day that I ahve been eating and just stick to the liquids, jell-o, and SF popcicles. Have a great day everyone!!!

You should hug yourself with that feeling that you are doing the best thing for you and your family!!! Just wait till your son starts drawing pictures of you playing with him in the yard as opposed to reading to him from bed. Then you can hang the two pictures next to each other on the wall!!!

Btw...you should not feel guilty or bad that you havent been able to be the one to also run around and play....child experts would say..its the quality of time we spend with our children that is important...and that does not matter where that quality time happens....and it sounds like youve developed some real great bonding with your son...now youl just create even more and different experiences with him.....but as a teacher.....I can tell you...there is no better bonding experience then reading to a child in bed...but now youl just be able to turn it around and read to him while he is in his bed!!!

Youl be just great...and you will now be there for a long long time....to watch him grow up and have his own children and be the grandmother running around with her grandchildren!!!

Jodi

You should hug yourself with that feeling that you are doing the best thing for you and your family!!! Just wait till your son starts drawing pictures of you playing with him in the yard as opposed to reading to him from bed. Then you can hang the two pictures next to each other on the wall!!!

Btw...you should not feel guilty or bad that you havent been able to be the one to also run around and play....child experts would say..its the quality of time we spend with our children that is important...and that does not matter where that quality time happens....and it sounds like youve developed some real great bonding with your son...now youl just create even more and different experiences with him.....but as a teacher.....I can tell you...there is no better bonding experience then reading to a child in bed...but now youl just be able to turn it around and read to him while he is in his bed!!!

Youl be just great...and you will now be there for a long long time....to watch him grow up and have his own children and be the grandmother running around with her grandchildren!!!

Jodi

Thank you Jodi. Reading this brought tears to my eyes...happy tears. And you are right!! I hope you are doing well!!!

Hi Everyone....Glad to see all of you early bandsters doing well and this weeks bandsters are home and recouping!!!

So....Surgery was over Tuesday afternoon and needed to stay an extra day in hospital but now home resting comfortably.

The procedure started off real easy and predictable....until after surgery.when I began to suck on ice chips..I started throwing up and feeling really nauseaus.......

Every two hours when the nurses got me up to walk I would get naseus and throw up; That lasted all night until I was wretching up just the ice chip Water.

In the AM they did a barium swallow and saw that I was obstructed probably from all the wretching. So...right then and there...the surgeon came in and took out the fill from the band and I emmedietely felt better. Apparently this happens..so now I am only aloud liquid diet and this will last till next Wednesday. My blood pressure was high and so I needed to stay another night in the hospital...and this really annoyed me...as every two hours they wake you and make you walk the hallways. lol

Since coming home Thursday AM. I feel okay..lots of gas but only in the lower abdomen. Ive been walking it off or at least trying. Last night was hard. I kept waking up from gas pains and walking the outside apt hallway. Probably woke the whole building.

Havent filled my pain killer script as im really not in pain. Just gassy and tired from being poked and prodded and given this anti naseau med and that one...etc etc. WOW what an experience. I hope that everyone else has had an easier time....

All in all it really wasnt awful...just alot uncomfortable!

Well...must go now....as im pretty tired.

Good luck all who are having surgery....this coming week....may you all have a easy and speedy recovery!!

Jodi

Thank you Jodi. Reading this brought tears to my eyes...happy tears. And you are right!! I hope you are doing well!!!

Hi Everyone....Glad to see all of you early bandsters doing well and this weeks bandsters are home and recouping!!!

So....Surgery was over Tuesday afternoon and needed to stay an extra day in hospital but now home resting comfortably.

The procedure started off real easy and predictable....until after surgery.when I began to suck on ice chips..I started throwing up and feeling really nauseaus.......

Every two hours when the nurses got me up to walk I would get naseus and throw up; That lasted all night until I was wretching up just the ice chip Water.

In the AM they did a barium swallow and saw that I was obstructed probably from all the wretching. So...right then and there...the surgeon came in and took out the fill from the band and I emmedietely felt better. Apparently this happens..so now I am only aloud liquid diet and this will last till next Wednesday. My blood pressure was high and so I needed to stay another night in the hospital...and this really annoyed me...as every two hours they wake you and make you walk the hallways. lol

Since coming home Thursday AM. I feel okay..lots of gas but only in the lower abdomen. Ive been walking it off or at least trying. Last night was hard. I kept waking up from gas pains and walking the outside apt hallway. Probably woke the whole building.

Havent filled my pain killer script as im really not in pain. Just gassy and tired from being poked and prodded and given this anti naseau med and that one...etc etc. WOW what an experience. I hope that everyone else has had an easier time....

Good luck all who are having surgery....this coming week....may you all have a easy and speedy recovery!!

That is odd that they gave you a fill while you were still in the hospital. I had to take a test before having surgery and one of the questions was will you get a fill right then and there in the hospital and the answer was false.

Every surgeon I have looked up never did a fill right in the hospital. Your body is working and learning that there is an instrument inside you, without the fill you will still start to lose weight, I dont go for my first fill till 4/14..

Jodi glad you are doing well now, and I hope this is an experience for you.

Hi all..

well its day 4 of being banded..still a little sore and bloated feeling but not to bad considering. Must say that im looking forward to just being abe to sleep normally instead of on my side lol. weighted myself this am and im down nearly another 7 pounds since before surgery! yay!

the shoulder pain is nearly gone and im just wrapping my head around the fact that my day hasnt been balanced around food 0.0 hope all is well with everyone

weight.png

Sorry to hear about you extra day in the hospital, At least things seem to be doing better... Hope you start feeling yourself really soon :frown:

Question for the banded people: are you guys allowed to take your regular meds? IE. blood pressure meds and such

Hi, my name is Heather. I am new here. My surgery is scheduled for March 22. I started my pre-op diet on 3/8. I have been doing the liquid diet. It has been hard but I think I have made it over a few bumps. Good luck to everyone.