Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Good Morning All!!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have been thinking a lot about the surgery date and am so excited to get it done. But I have had crazy thoughts about dying on the table. Anyone else have these thoughts as well? I have even thought that maybe I should write letters to all my kids incase I don't make it. Please tell me that this is really no big deal. My hubby tells me I have a great chance of being killed in a car accident than in surgery. Is this true?

Good Morning All!!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have been thinking a lot about the surgery date and am so excited to get it done. But I have had crazy thoughts about dying on the table. Anyone else have these thoughts as well? I have even thought that maybe I should write letters to all my kids incase I don't make it. Please tell me that this is really no big deal. My hubby tells me I have a great chance of being killed in a car accident than in surgery. Is this true?

It's surgery so there's always a risk of death involved but part of the reason we have to jump through all the testing hoops we have to is to make sure we're healthy enough for surgery. I would be lying if I said it hasn't crossed my mind. My mother died when I was 2 due to too much anesthesia during a c-section so it's always in the back of my mind but I just keep telling myself that medicine has come a long way in 32 years and my mother was very VERY over weight and very unhealthy and didn't have the chance to be tested to make sure her body could handle the surgery. Things are much different nowadays. We'll be fine! :thumbup: Try not to worry too much. A little worry is normal. Listen to your hubby and let him keep you calm :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

Post op day 4 and doing great. I really cannot believe how lucky I have been since I have only had minimal pain. Didn't even open the RX bottle for pain, nor felt the need to even take tylenol. I had taken off the week since I have a fairly physical job - am alittle bored! I am on the week one liquid diet - been drinking Water, crystal light, a bit of broth, and some hot tea. I am amazed at the full feeling only drinking 1oz every 15 minutes. I now know that about 6 small sips equals an ounce! Who knew?! I have lost a lot of Water weight - 10lbs (didn't have a pre-op diet). I am amazed at the energy I feel - I thought that I would be SO tired not taking in any nutrients, but it is just the opposite!

Yesterday I went and checked out the 5 local gyms. Through a process of elimination, I found one that seems will fit me well. It is a little smaller and is associated with a physical therapy group and therefore had people of all shapes, sizes and ages. I went on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 2.5mi/hr. Not too bad! The treadmill was pretty cool with a TV hook up for headphones and a fan! Who knew - obviously not me!!!

Thursday is my follow up with my surgeon. I am VERY excited!

Love this board - you guys are great!!!

Cynthia

START WEIGHT(3-5) - 350

CURRENT WEIGHT (3-9) - 340

GOAL -200

Hi Finding Me,

I had the same exact worries - as a matter of fact, I had put off this surgery for 3 years because of my irrational fear - and I am in the medical profession! It went a lot easier that I expected. Two of the things that I did on my own pre-op to curb my fears were the following - I went to my MD for a stress test, and I set up an appointment to meet the anestheologist. The stress test made me realize that even though I was very over weight, my heart was healthy. Meeting the anestheologist also calmed me knowing how many bariatric cases she had done (one on an individual at 700+ pounds) knowing what exactly to expect and what drugs were going to be used.

It was much easier than I expected. I know how hard it is to quell your fear, but it will be okay.

Good Luck!

Cynthia

So excited to hear that everyone is doing ok post-banding! :) I'm on day 2 of my pre-op diet and let's just say that I am definitely going through a carb detox. Some times after I "eat" (or drink in this case) I think my stomach is trying to eat itself. LOL! It cramps and gurgles and eventually calms down. My body is like "WTH???" But, I've managed to fight off wanting to have real food. I ended up going to bed early last night to keep from wanting a snack.< /p>

Of course, right now I'm battling a nasty cold. I've been coughing like crazy. Hopefully it doesn't affect my surgery date. I have two weeks to get better. I'm SURE it will be gone before that.

So, how much did everyone lose on the pre-op? One of my friends was asking me and I was like "I have no idea". I do know I was 6 lbs down from my last appointment. But, I was also sick before yesterday.

:) Well, here it is 1 day before my surgery.... I have to report to the hospital at 11:30 tomorrow and I can't wait. It seems like I have been waiting forever!

I get very teary eyed thinking of this wonderful opportunity I have to finally feel in control of my eating. But more than that I have the opportunity to become healthy!

Good luck to everyone having surgery tomorrow, I know there are a few of us. :)

Hi All,

First off Congratulations to everyone who has been banded so far this month!! Second sorry I've not posted or responded in a few days. My darn internet was out until last night!! I can't believe how much i depend on the internet......its crazy sometimes!!! This pre-op diet is the hardest things i've ever done. I do not like the Muscle Milk, but i am drinking it because I got the industrial size from costco!! Also I have to take liquid Iron and that is so nasty I put it in the shakes which makes them taste even worse!!! Anyone have a suggestion for a more flavorful Protein Shake?

Yikes! its here already, hardly slept all night but im ok with that, it was lack of sleep in a good way. So ive been told to check in to the hospital at 12pm and EEeeeee! :)

The lead up to this day seemed to take foreveerrrrr, and now its suddenly here.

Anyways just thought i'd share my excitment with everyone and i hope everyone is well :)

Howdy everyone :) I am still hanging in there 10 "sleeps" until my surgery.. I am having my last meal thursday heheh, going to red robin and then I am going to try to keep food intake undercontrol.

Good morning once again. So after my little moment of anxiety yesterday. My son made me realize, without even knowing it, that I HAVE to have this surgery and stick with all the rules!! Last night my 5 year old son brought me a picture he had drawn for me. It was a picture of me laying in bed and him bringing me a book to read. Sweet right. The sad thing is that I spend most of my time in bed. If I am not doing the cooking or the cleaning. We lay in my bed and read at night and color or watch a movie. It is always my husband that takes the kids outside to play. I hardly ever go because it makes me so tired to chase them around and then I am embarrassed that I catch them. I did play a little T-ball with him over the weekend and that kicked my butt. It was fun though and I am looking forward to doing more things with all three of my kids with the more weight that I lose. Tomorrow starts my pre-op diet but I have been doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast for the last two weeks and started adding them for lunch this week. Now I will just have to cut out the 2 high Protein Snacks per day that I ahve been eating and just stick to the liquids, jell-o, and SF popcicles. Have a great day everyone!!!

Hello All :sad:) this is the first post after surgery. It was 6 days ago. The surgery went well. I have been feeling crappy but that is due to surgery in general, but feeling better each day. I am doing well with the liquids much better than I thought. The only concern I have is there is stabbing pains when I take a deep breath. I will see the Dr. on Friday maybe I can find out then. Take Care to all.

Dawn

Hi All,

First off Congratulations to everyone who has been banded so far this month!! Second sorry I've not posted or responded in a few days. My darn internet was out until last night!! I can't believe how much i depend on the internet......its crazy sometimes!!! This pre-op diet is the hardest things i've ever done. I do not like the Muscle Milk, but i am drinking it because I got the industrial size from costco!! Also I have to take liquid Iron and that is so nasty I put it in the shakes which makes them taste even worse!!! Anyone have a suggestion for a more flavorful Protein Shake?

From what I hear, muscle milk is one of the tastier shakes, but I can't say because I haven't ever tried them. I know that they are a bit more carbs then I'd care to take in so I drink 0 carb Isopure, which is horrible, but I mask it with coffee in the morning. I drink GNC WHEYBOLIC EXTREME banana cream with only 4.3 carbs and 40 Protein for lunch or supper, depending on what time I have a meal.

I really like the banana cream flavor a lot, and I blend it in the magic bullet with ice and it seems a bit more palatable like that.

Good Luck today Missnell and Anotherteacher!

Hi All!

I'm scheduled to be banded on March 17th and I am son excited! Here's a lillte about my journey.

Dec 2009 - Attended weight loss seminar

- Referred by my Primary Care physician for bariatric surgery

Jan 2010 - Initial consultation with surgeon

- Nutrition consult

- Cardiology evaulation (stress test)

Feb 2010 - Psych evaulation

- Surgery scheduled for March 17th

- Preop with Surgeon

Mar 10 - Began to eat everything in site and have gained almost 10 pounds since my surgery was scheduled. I understand this is called "Last Supper" Syndrome. Ha!Ha!Ha!

My surgeon does not require a presurgery diet except for the day prior to surgery which is a liquid only.

I am having my surgery in Atlanta, GA.

My surgeron is Dr. John Daly.

I am thrilled to be apart of the March Bandsters and I really look forward to sharing stories and hearing from all of you.

Darlene

Hi All!

I'm scheduled to be banded on March 17th and I am son excited! Here's a lillte about my journey.

Dec 2009 - Attended weight loss seminar

- Referred by my Primary Care physician for bariatric surgery

Jan 2010 - Initial consultation with surgeon

- Nutrition consult

- Cardiology evaulation (stress test)

Feb 2010 - Psych evaulation

- Surgery scheduled for March 17th

- Preop with Surgeon

Mar 10 - Began to eat everything in site and have gained almost 10 pounds since my surgery was scheduled. I understand this is called "Last Supper" Syndrome. Ha!Ha!Ha!

My surgeon does not require a presurgery diet except for the day prior to surgery which is a liquid only.

I am having my surgery in Atlanta, GA.

My surgeron is Dr. John Daly.

I am thrilled to be apart of the March Bandsters and I really look forward to sharing stories and hearing from all of you.

Darlene

Glad to have you as a March bander.

I am doing well everyone. So far the hunger thing is stil on control. I have lost 16 lbs since I started my pre op diet two weeks ago. I lost 8lbs since they weighed me after surgery! I am excited today was pureed staged, I move onto minced tomorrow. I had some heart healthy Tomato sauce, with a dollop of fat free ricotta cheese for lunch. And for dinner I had steamed/sauteed broccoli (I had no trouble eating it, cause I like my broccoli like mush) and a fat free mozzerella string cheese. I was stuffed. And of course this am I had my Protein.< /p>