Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Hi yall....

I am ( hopefully ) a March 10 bandster as well.

I am Meg and I'm 40 in Florida. I have been obese or overweight all my life. I am very excited to be on this journey. I feel very fortunate to be given this chance for a healthier life. I know there is lots of work to be done on my part and I am willing to do it all....

I went to the seminar on 1-4-10. Got all of my medical paperwork into surgeons office and had consult appointment on 2-15-10

I have seen and passed the psych evaluation. I start my pre op OFFICAILLY on 3-10 but have started changing things now. I have lost 9 pounds in the last week. I am required to lose 12, but I have a feeling it will be more than that that I lose:smile2:.

I have my appointment for testing this coming Tuesday 3-2-10 and see my regular doctor 3-8-10 to see if more tests are needed and / or to get clearance for surgery. My surgery date is scheduled for 3-24-10.

I am going to attend all support groups and got a name for a therapist that works with bariatric patients. I will be calling her on Monday to see about working with her. I have met a couple of people online and in person that I talk to often. I read everything I can get my hands on about correct foods and exercise. I am ready to "do this right" and start taking much better care of myself. I have started to do that and I already feel like I have a bit more energy and a better outlook on life. Funny how exercise can REALLY make you feel better.....lol. My concerns right now are the slow drinking. When I walk or exercise at all I am a gulper of Water.

I hope to get to know all of you better and hope you're all doing well.

Take Care,

Meg

Surgeon: Dr. Tiffany Jessee

Hospital: Palms of Passedena

St Petersburg, Florida

Hi all.....Hi Megg..Welcome to the thread...Keep us posted with your journey...Good Luck....

Well.....its been an interesting weekend all.....Been reading and reserching all the information that you all have given me and well.....Ive learned some more things.

I decided yesturday to make chicken Soup for shabbat dinner.....but made a big vat with lots of vegggies and chicken..after we ate about two bowls each lol took out all the veggies and the chicken seperately...after shabbat blended them each seperately...put them in a freezer snack bags and Im ready for blended foods stage ala chicken and veggies. I blended some together to have Protein as well in each.

As for the Soup...that proved to be slightely harder! lol

I needed to cool it down...then I skimmed it tonight....but its not clear....sooo want to clear it so Ill have to do that tomorrow as I never cleared a soup before...however my "Settlement cookbook" tells you exactly how to do this!!

Whod have thought that an egg shell can do all this!

This week I will make a beef and vegetable broth the same way as above so I will be set with at least liquids for the first week.

Monday I will go to the Health food market and Trader Joes..to check out the Protein powders, drinks, and shakes...and compare to the sites that you also have all suggested and get a few diff samples and see which I like best....fun...lol.

Meanwhile...the marathon holiday weekend will be continuing.....Today we went to synaguage...havent really gone for the longest time due to the inclement weather lol..(I sound like the school closing site....due to inclement weather school will be closed today. Ive heard that one to many times this year.....but I digress). anyways...havent gone as the weather every sat....was so bad and we have to walk.

Today....wasnt too bad and its one of those days where we are recquired to hear the torah reading for the week...there are three such saturdays in the year...two are in winter...why??? I ask??? why??? of course If I lived elsewhere and it was middle of summer id ask the same.

After services....the youth group was having their yearly lunch with the Rabbi and his wife..and the youth leaders. This is where they tell stories, sing and eat. So..we had to go to services regardless as she very much wanted to go to this lunch with her friends....so yea..me I got to sleep for an hour and read for an hour?? wow that was nice.

Needed it as after I had to pick her up and found the after party was at our house....hmmgrh.

so much for resting. lol

Tonight was so much fun...it is Purim....that holiday for kids. and so Dassi and I...as I will always be a kid....dressed up...she as Medussa...and me...well I put on a bandana, dungaree skirt and jacket....and a few beaded necklaces and wallah....60's costume for me....

We went to two parties and one carnival...after hearing the Story of Esther....that was fun.. all the kids are dressed up in their costumes...of course I thing Dassis was best..but im biased...of course.

Tommorrow,....we are going to a party at the Rabbi from my daughters school. That should be interesting. hmm. After we hear the story of Esther for the second time..not really sure why we need to hear it twice.. but we do and then....after its party time where we go to the Rabbi...and then deliver our edible arrangements...treats and then we will go to dinner at one of the big synaguages....to eat a big meal...and Im calling it my last meal!

I hope I get through the day.....Allready my daughters complaining about her costume...the hem fell....the headress is hurting....the shoes are to tight...this ones better etc etc etc....by the end of the day...shel be in reg clothes...and ya know what?? who cares! As long as everyone is having fun.

So.....I must get some rest..its allready Two AM and need to wake early. Hah

Have a great weekend all

Jodi

Hi all.....Hi Megg..Welcome to the thread...Keep us posted with your journey...Good Luck....

Well.....its been an interesting weekend all.....Been reading and reserching all the information that you all have given me and well.....Ive learned some more things.

I decided yesturday to make chicken Soup for shabbat dinner.....but made a big vat with lots of vegggies and chicken..after we ate about two bowls each lol took out all the veggies and the chicken seperately...after shabbat blended them each seperately...put them in a freezer snack bags and Im ready for blended foods stage ala chicken and veggies. I blended some together to have Protein as well in each.

As for the Soup...that proved to be slightely harder! lol

I needed to cool it down...then I skimmed it tonight....but its not clear....sooo want to clear it so Ill have to do that tomorrow as I never cleared a soup before...however my "Settlement cookbook" tells you exactly how to do this!!

Whod have thought that an egg shell can do all this!

This week I will make a beef and vegetable broth the same way as above so I will be set with at least liquids for the first week.

Monday I will go to the Health food market and Trader Joes..to check out the Protein powders, drinks, and shakes...and compare to the sites that you also have all suggested and get a few diff samples and see which I like best....fun...lol.

Meanwhile...the marathon holiday weekend will be continuing.....Today we went to synaguage...havent really gone for the longest time due to the inclement weather lol..(I sound like the school closing site....due to inclement weather school will be closed today. Ive heard that one to many times this year.....but I digress). anyways...havent gone as the weather every sat....was so bad and we have to walk.

Today....wasnt too bad and its one of those days where we are recquired to hear the torah reading for the week...there are three such saturdays in the year...two are in winter...why??? I ask??? why??? of course If I lived elsewhere and it was middle of summer id ask the same.

After services....the youth group was having their yearly lunch with the Rabbi and his wife..and the youth leaders. This is where they tell stories, sing and eat. So..we had to go to services regardless as she very much wanted to go to this lunch with her friends....so yea..me I got to sleep for an hour and read for an hour?? wow that was nice.

Needed it as after I had to pick her up and found the after party was at our house....hmmgrh.

so much for resting. lol

Tonight was so much fun...it is Purim....that holiday for kids. and so Dassi and I...as I will always be a kid....dressed up...she as Medussa...and me...well I put on a bandana, dungaree skirt and jacket....and a few beaded necklaces and wallah....60's costume for me....

We went to two parties and one carnival...after hearing the Story of Esther....that was fun.. all the kids are dressed up in their costumes...of course I thing Dassis was best..but im biased...of course.

Tommorrow,....we are going to a party at the Rabbi from my daughters school. That should be interesting. hmm. After we hear the story of Esther for the second time..not really sure why we need to hear it twice.. but we do and then....after its party time where we go to the Rabbi...and then deliver our edible arrangements...treats and then we will go to dinner at one of the big synaguages....to eat a big meal...and Im calling it my last meal!

I hope I get through the day.....Allready my daughters complaining about her costume...the hem fell....the headress is hurting....the shoes are to tight...this ones better etc etc etc....by the end of the day...shel be in reg clothes...and ya know what?? who cares! As long as everyone is having fun.

So.....I must get some rest..its allready Two AM and need to wake early. Hah

Have a great weekend all

Jodi

Jodi, sounds like you had a wonderful day with your daughter. And the continuous weekend as well. Hope you enjoy the meal tonight!

So I am going to do a big house cleaning today. I was suppose to do this with my husband yesterday but he had to go to the Doctors and when he got home he wanted to play call of duty modern warfare 2.... SO that killed the day for me. It was alright though cause I went to the store called FADZ in the mall right across the street and they sell my single pieces of jewerly. I think im set, the only thing I need to do tomorrow is my assignments for this week or atleast anything that is due by friday, and hand them in. :wink2: Going to school online is fun, and easy. im just about halfway through I only go for 1 yr 9 mos. plus this was the first week for my new block of classes so next weeks work shouldnt be a problem.

:laugh:

Yeah! It's almost March! Good luck to everyone having surgery this week! :wink2: :laugh: :eek: :)

Has everyone added their date to the March surgery date log that btrieger started? (Thanks, btrieger!)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f22472/ma...please-110733/

Welcome Mel.. Nice to have you :wink2:

Date of Surgery: March 11

Where Surgery will be:Dallas TLC Edge at prestonwood

Doctor/Center: Dr.Jayassalen (Dr Jay)

Seminar date: Jan 31, 2010

1st consult date: Feb 11

2nd consult: didnt need one

Consults and tests completed: Done with all, surgical clearance,psych eval, labs, and ekg

Tests still needed: None

How is surgery funded? Insurance

Concerns? That the band might not work .

Reason for banding? I have been overweight my whole life, both parents had diabetes, I am terrified of developing diabetes as they both passed away in their 60's

welcome to all the new March bandster. I have not checked in for a few days and this will be short and sweet. I am going to start easing my way into the 2 week pre-op diet, so Monday I will start with the pt shake or slim fast for Breakfast and a "liquid" snack before lunch. I gave up pop last week and have only had one slip up when I opened a pop for my daughter and took the first sip before I handed it to her (that is a habit I will have to watch). Today kicks off softball season for my daughter. She has a tryout with a new team this afternoon so keep your fingers crossed for her. She hates this part of the season. The last two years the teams she has played for has "dis-banded" after the end of the season so we are on the look for another team. It is really hard to bust your butt to find out you did not make the team and then have to do it all over again the next week for another team. Have a great Sunday and good luck to all you March 1 and 2 bandsters!!!!

Today kicks off softball season for my daughter. She has a tryout with a new team this afternoon so keep your fingers crossed for her. She hates this part of the season. The last two years the teams she has played for has "dis-banded" after the end of the season so we are on the look for another team. It is really hard to bust your butt to find out you did not make the team and then have to do it all over again the next week for another team. Have a great Sunday and good luck to all you March 1 and 2 bandsters!!!!

Thats awesome, my daughter is 13 and she also plays softball, We have our first tournament this weekend in DFW metroplex. We are excited as we have been practicing since last oct with her New team. Well keep in touch with her and your success. :wink2:

Thats awesome, my daughter is 13 and she also plays softball, We have our first tournament this weekend in DFW metroplex. We are excited as we have been practicing since last oct with her New team. Well keep in touch with her and your success. :biggrin:

Tryouts went well!!! She made the team!!! She now just has to decide if she wants to play on this team. She knows none of the other players but they all seemed really nice. I am sure that she will go with this team but I told her to think about it tonight and we can let them know for sure tomorrow. The teams that my daughter has played on have always done really well and for the last two years (her first two years in competitive ball she has always played rec) her teams placed 2nd the first year and 1st last year. So it will be hard for her to play on a 14U B team if they do not play well. I told her that it would not hurt her to play for a team that maybe is not up to what she is use to and she might learn something and she might be able to teach them something as well. She was not even going to play this year but the high school coach has already told her she has a spot on the high school team next year as a freshman but that she would need to play over the summer, so she decided to play to ensure that spot next year. I hope your daughter and her team does well in their tournament. Let me know I love to talk to other softball mom's. I love softball season!!!

Im not allowed to drink or eat anything after midnight as well, but at pre-op education they gave me a little pee cup and said to collect the first urine of the day. I dont know why? They just told me to go buy some dial antibacterial soap.this showering at 5:30am is not gonna go over very well. It is worth it though. :biggrin:

A lot of docs make sure that all of their women patients are not pregnant prior to banding...maybe that's why you have to collect first morning urine..HCG is highest then in early pregnancy!!

Have fun tomorrow NYSparklegirl.. I have always used whey protein.. I have a sensitive stomach so I only use Isolate Protien, I dont know why but it doesnt effect me..

A lot of docs make sure that all of their women patients are not pregnant prior to banding...maybe that's why you have to collect first morning urine..HCG is highest then in early pregnancy!!

Thanks, I figured it out yesterday. I decided to fully read all off my information which I received Thursday, and in my little surgery pamphlet it tells you what the urine sample is for. Thanks though. Im in the clear though. Just finished the TOTM yesterday. Som im sure Im good. Well less then 24 hours and I will be in the OR. About this time I should be almost finished with my surgery if everything is performed on time. Good Luck all of you other March 2nd Bandsters. I probably will post a few times today as updates come in, but tomorrow I wont be able to. My Laptop does not work so I dont have a computer to bring with me!:biggrin:

Hello All :biggrin: Good Luck to all with surgerys today and tomorrow. My surgery is this Thursday. I spent this weekend cleaning my house really good and getting my bedroom ready for confort and getting my bills in order.I told my husband I will not be cooking for him for a while so stock up on his food lol. I am excited but the closer it gets to Thurs. the more scared because it is SURGERY. I just had the feeling after surgery. Well off to work I go till Wed. I wish all well and take care Dawn

My surgery is scheduled for March 24th. Wish me luck. I have the preop visit tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to drive 3 hours to my physician as I live in a rural area and no one does this surgery where I live. Oh well, at least when I am stuck in traffic I am actually moving...

Stevie...I hope that your husband will surpise you then by having the house cleaned? lol Glad you had a great day regardless.

Yes...March here we are....good luck on Tuesday all you March 2nd Bandsters!!

FindingMe....thats great that your daughter made the team and good luck on the preop diet!

Welcome "IwillSucceed" keep us posted and good luck!!

Okay.....so the weekend is over....for me anyways...tomorrow there is a carnival all day at school but I dont have to be there yea!!

Today..was actually alot of fun. We ran around giving and receiving but I have to say....the choc covered friut...the bestest idea...lol. Everyone loved it. Im glad...

The partys and dinner was really nice....and it just so happened that at dinner.....at our table...which was a family and Dassi and myself.....sat down this man.....who was single and good looking and well...I guess my age range...and he was very nice!!! Unfortunately he left before the end of the dinner....but it was nice to meet someone new for a change...Im just wondering why that happened is this a sign...to say...you know...your on your way to a new you....maybe its time to start socializing and meeting some new people. Who knows.

In any case..I have a new question. Shooting it out hoping someone can tell me the diff and if there is any or not!!! lol

Ive been researching the Protein Shakes, drinks, shots and powders oh and isolates.

Stevie...Ive checked out the site that you suggested and there were several others that sounded really good.

There are several different types of protein...however on most of the sites that Ive veiwed they offer "WHEY" Protein.

I remembered that when my daughter was a baby..the sensory O.T recommended that we give her "RICE" protein.

so....when looking at the differences...I find that there are several different sources. "WHEY" from Dairy...."SOY" vegetarian, "EGG", and "RICE". "Whey being the most popular and should not be in concentrate.

SO...

Question one....is the recommended popular...being "WHEY" because its the most easily digested?

Question two....does it matter whether its "WHEY" or "RICE" as "RICE" seems to me the best second choice as to quality and nutritionally and most available....Ive never seen "egg" and "SOY" seems problamatic these days as far as genetically engeneered seeds and the Increase on hormones causing poss cancer in woman.

So was wondering what the difference is and does it make a difference and why??

Do I really need this....does everyone supplement with all the above...and what about the Vitamins? ? Ive been looking at the differences between the vitamins that I have...which are high quality so I think...and the vitamins from all these sites...do they really make a difference and if I dont use the brands for bariatric patients...will I really loose my hair? ? etc etc?

oy......Im stuck on the "Stuff" I see....but want to be as prepared as possible for after surgery. I dont want to go out and start looking and researching after the fact...not a good thing...Also as I wont be able to send someone out to go and do this for me...except me...so might as well do it this week.

Its funny....my freinds..are concerned with my preperation of me....before surgery as I might never again be able to go out.;....lol like making sure to get a hair cut, manicure/pedicure, haircut, waxing done....highlights//etc etc and im like whattt?????? do you think I care about all the above?? who is going to see me???? I cant just shave??? whats wrong with my hair? I cant have nail polish. I have enough PJs and they will be clean.

Im thinking...of foods for me....and food prep for Dassi and setting up the cleaning girl, the dog walker, who is going to take Dassi to the bus off the bus and to all her activities and help her do homework? all the above?? Did I ever have time for those luxuries ever???? lol

Im allready thinking I best start going shopping for passover. I dont even have time to shower for more then 10 min. at a time...I think..maybe Ill allow myself a few more min for a quick shave....the night before and Ill be READY!

well....okay enough....its late and tomorrow is another day for preperation.

Thanks so much for all of your input and responses....I truly believe its because of you all....that I will be prepared...and not worried and...in the end successful.

Of course you all might need prozac at the end of the next two weeks but....I thank you in advance...(silly me)

Have a great night all.. and a wonderful week!!!

Jodi