Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op overeating?///

I am in the process of getting my lap band. I have an appt. with my surgeon this week. I have found that I am eating constantly, because I know that I will not be albe to eat much after I have the lap band. I find that I spend the entire day eating. Has anyone else had this problem?

The way I think about is that over eating has what gotten me to weigh 330 pounds. Right now I'm choosing healthier food more often. I'm trying to change my lifestyle before I get the surgery so I don't have to quickly change it after surgery. Maybe you should consult a nutritionist or therapist?

I have been struggling with this. I start my preop diet in a week, and I've been eating things just because I won't be able to. Also, I have gift cards to several restaurants, and I've been feeling like I need to use those this week because I won't be able to later. I am trying not to overdo it and go off the deep end, but it is a struggle for me.

Michelle

I am in the process of getting my LAP-BAND®. I have an appt. with my surgeon this week. I have found that I am eating constantly, because I know that I will not be albe to eat much after I have the LAP-BAND®. I find that I spend the entire day eating. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's Last Supper Syndrome and it is counter-productive. It is just more weight that you will have to lose when you do get banded.

You have to show a little bit of will power once you are banded but there is no need to wait until being banded.

As Manda suggested, see a therapist if you can afford and see it they can help.

Phil,

Throw the gift cards out or donate them to a food bank. Then you won't have to struggle them.

I am glad that there is someone out there that feels the same way I do. I find myself saying let me eat a lot of this now because after I get the lap band I won't be able to.

I had my "Last Meal" ummm, maybe a dozen times before being banded? It does happen, you aren't alone, you only have a week to go. Don't go crazy, try to make healthy choices where you can, but just know that it's normal. My last supper lasted oh, a month, but I lost 16 pounds on the week-long clear liquid pre-op diet, and it was a great jumpstart--I just remembered thinking "I didn't use any willpower before this pre-op diet, I'm using it all NOW" and trust me, I needed it, but those last meals made the pre-op diet doable for me because I knew I hadn't missed out on anything I wanted. I was starting the hard work.

I actually have been doing the opposite. I get my surgery on Feb 22, meaning I don't need to do my pre-op diet until Feb 10. Right now I am eating healthy and losing a little weight on my own. I have only thought of 1 place I want to go before my surgery, other that that I am not worried about eating after the band because I am hoping that for the most part, I can eat normal foods, just smaller quantities. Because of this, I don't feel like I will be missing out on much, so I am not in panic mode!

I did the same thing. I went hog wild and its fine, its a closure thing. I think that we have to realize that we will all eat food again, just not in the quantity we used to. I am on a 3 week liquid diet and have slipped up twice, but still have lost 12 lbs. so far. I am try my best and that is all I can do.:thumbup:

I did do the 'last supper' thing a couple times by hitting my very favorite restaurants since I figured I wouldn't be able to do it after I had the band (wrong assumption). Although outside of those times, I actually ate less because I didn't want to go into surgery bloated (since my doc didn't require a presurgery diet). From the time of my seminar to my surgery (6 weeks total), I lost around 14 pounds. Go figure.

I have definaetly had the "Last Meal Syndrome". My appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow and my surgery date is Feb 4th. I have been eating all of my favorite foods like i'll never have them again.

Stacey

I get banded this Friday, and I also enjoyed all my favorite foods up to the pre-diet. I'm willing to bet more of us do it then don't!!!!

Try not to get into the Last Meal Syndrome. Because it truly isn't your last meal! I do understand the feelings.

But...I still eat most of my favorite foods! Yes, I have made some changes to my diet, but my biggest change is Portion Control. Part of my reason for choosing the band is that I would still be able to eat "normal" foods.

Moderation works with the band. Remember that. The band assists us with moderation.

I choose to not eat high calorie/high fat foods very often, but they can be a treat. We don't have to have an on/off mentality any longer, we have a tool to help us control our portions, and in so doing it helps us make better choices.

I choose to eat a more healthful diet!

Denise

I'm so happy to see other people doing this and still succeeding later!! I find that I'm actually eating less because half way thru I feel guilty! I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday and I know with the holidays I've gained every last one of the 12 pounds I lost. I'm afraid to get on the scale!!

I love this board and thank you all for supporting each other and me! It's so nice to know, none of us are alone!!!

You are not alone. I am getting banded on the 27th and have been eating like crazy since I got my date last Monday:cursing:

You are not alone. I am getting banded on the 27th and have been eating like crazy since I got my date last Monday:cursing:

I understand.. I have lived that way all my life before starting my diet on Monday... that Monday that came a thousand times...

I decided to change my mindset with this lap band.. I am not dieting.. I am changing my way of life.... so basically I am mentally detaching myself from food...

I knew I was ready when I was hoping to get banded before Thanksgiving and everyone said no.. wait til after. I didn't care....I don't care that I will be decreasing the size of the plate...

This is partially why I chose the band... I don't need a whole cake.. but a bite or two would be nice....

I think it is more psychological than anything....I will not miss eating a big plate of spagetti... I am truly, truly looking forward to being satisfied with a small portion....

For me.. it is less what I eat and more how much I eat....I lost 9 pounds since the start of this and I haven't dieted persay... I am making changes...like the 45 calorie Sara Lee bread... it is really really good....

So I am trying to make small changes that will add up to big changes...I am reaching for the Water more and more....

This is a battle...you will win....you are just filling the hump:);) I do understand the why....I am just trying not to give in to that thought process...I hope I win that one:thumbup: