Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for not drinking after eating?

So everyone says (including my surgeon) not to drink for 30-60mins after eating because it washes the food out of the pouch into the larger part of the stomache....but I can't stop drinking!

It's usually Water or milk, (I don't do alcohol or sodas) and that, by far, has been the hardest habit to break after being banded.

I've been told to ask the waitresses at resturants to not bring you a drink at all, but what about when you're home? Drinking water is an obsession of mine or something...I can't not drink...lol

I know I'm sabotageing my own weight loss by doing this...so help me! How can I stop?

I have broken the habit, but before my surgery my nutritionist told me (to get myself into the habit) to fix a glass of ice and whatever melts in the time it takes me to eat I can drink...lol...which is pretty much nothing and you will eventually get into the routine. Maybe you need to try that fix a glass of ice and during that 30 to 60 minute wait whenever you want to drink something only drink what has melted...Hope it helps!!

Hi,

The problem with drinking during and after meals is that no only does it wash what you've eaten, it then makes it possible for you to get HUNGRY sooner than you would have had you not drank.

My doc suggest not drinking 15 minutes prior to eating and for 2 hours after eating. When I heard this at the seminar I gasped. However, after almost a year, I can say that I adapted the habit and still use it. It really does work. The nurse at my office suggest the ice trick that Blue_Eyes mentioned for those who just have to have something to drink.

You have to commit to yourself! I'm sure that when you decided to have surgery you were planning on following the rules. This is a rule that will make a lot of difference.

Is it possible that you have a medical condition that makes you feel thirsty often?

Take care and good luck!

I love Blue_Eyes's suggestion. Thanks.

I have broken the habit, but before my surgery my nutritionist told me (to get myself into the habit) to fix a glass of ice and whatever melts in the time it takes me to eat I can drink...lol...which is pretty much nothing and you will eventually get into the routine. Maybe you need to try that fix a glass of ice and during that 30 to 60 minute wait whenever you want to drink something only drink what has melted...Hope it helps!!

Thank you - that is a brilliant idea!! I have the same problem, but no one ever gave us solutions besides "don't do it"! This way we not only don't drink, we get really cold Water to drink when we are supposed to!

I had the worst habit of drinking while eating. My Dr told me it was ok to drink while eating but take only very small sips at a time so it would be absorbed into the food that was sitting in my pouch and wouldn't push it through into the larger stomach. This has helped the physical habit, since it still gives me the satisfaction of the motion of drinking still.

Hi my name is Lindsey...and I'm a drinker :thumbup:

I also like the idea of the ice. One of my problems is that I LOVE spicy food, so that makes it more difficult not to drink. Also, I've found that if I stay well hydrated throughout the rest of the day I'm not soo thirsty at meal time.

I think prior to the band I was relying on meal time to get in much of my Fluid intake.

I too struggled with the idea of not drinking while eating, it is not only a habit, it is part of the dining experience. Who wants to eat and have a dry mouth? I tried it at first and found that certain foods drove me crazy without a drink (like salty foods). What I do is I wait until I am almost done before I start, but I eat yogurt AFTER I have eaten my Protein and most everything else so it cant run through, it has to stay on top. I find that Yoplait Whips are best for this because they are airy not liquidy so I think it should be ok. Just be careful, some of them are addicting. Their new vanilla Creame' whips are OMG so good and bad. They are not that good since the protien to calories is not what they recommend. I stick to the Fry's carbmasters in the morning (12 protein for oly 80 calories). I figure one of those in the morning should help me satisfy my thirst and keep me satisfied during mid morning, but after dinner I go for the whips, they are mostly air, so they dont wash through the pouch, but sadly, they are 160 calories for 5 grams of protein ;) But they are sooooooooooo yummy. The strawberry are very good to. The chocolate are okish, not worth the calories. Hope that helps XOXO

My surgeon doesn't have an issue with me drinking a little bit with my meals. He does take issue with me drinking liquids with calories in them, period. He wants me to eat my calories, not drink them.

He doesn't even want me using Protein shakes now that I am well past the post-op healing phase.

Denise

I was thinking what if you get a small spray bottle of Water and just spray it in your mouth to moisturize (i.i. when you eat spicy foods) but it would be such a small amount it wouldn't affect pushing the food through the band. If you get a small one people would think it was breath spray and nobody would be the wiser =).

I was thinking what if you get a small spray bottle of Water and just spray it in your mouth to moisturize (i.i. when you eat spicy foods) but it would be such a small amount it wouldn't affect pushing the food through the band. If you get a small one people would think it was breath spray and nobody would be the wiser =).

Now -that- is thinking outside the box! I love it! ;)

I will say, though, sometimes when I have consumed liquids while eating, it can be very uncomfortable. The food will be going down just fine, then take a drink of liquid and it sort of upsets the apple cart and gurgles and I can feel it sort of come up a little, then go back down. Very strange.

So, if I do drink with food, it is very small sips, just to moisten things.

I haven't found that it makes a difference in when I get hungry again, your mileage may vary, and as always, do what YOUR surgeon/nutritionist tells you.

Denise

I love the Ice and Spray Bottle ideas. I am a BIG (no pun intended, lol) drinker/eater. As a matter of fact, I would often get full off of my liquid intake before I could finish a meal. I'm talking 3-4 glasses of Water, or diet tea/soda with my meals! Needless to say, this no drinking "rule" has yet to be followed by me..:thumbup:

What I have started doing is using my sippy cups to drink out of when I eat (even at restaurants, ;)) and that gives me the sensation of having liquids with my meals but it greatly limits the amount I drink and I've found that I ususally won't drink a full cup now.

Good Luck!

I used to drink tons of ice tea with lunch/dinner. I don't like the taste of plain Water so, now, I just order Water. It doesn't bother me to not drink it. It does save alot of money not ordering a $2 tea everyday...

So, now I just drink all my water with Crystal lite. I know plain water is better but, something is better than nothing. : )

That is one heck of a great suggestion. Thank your nutrtionist for me!