Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish someone had told you BEFORE your surgery?

I didn't find this site until I was 2 weeks post-op and googled,2 weeks post-op from lab band and STARVING...I spent almost a week convinced I had done the wrong thing and woud be miserable forever then discovered this freaking "bandster hell" is totally normal!!! I wish the doc, the nurse, the nutritionist, someone had mentioned I'd go from full to starving in a matter of days, it would have put my mind at ease...They also gave me the impression that 3-4 oz of fluids would fill me and I wouldn't be able to drink/eat more, not so.... Other than that I think they actually prepped me fairly well. Good luck with your decision!

Minimeme.......I`m rather confused? 97 lbs lost in 3 months and 2 weeks and your kinda iffy on your (Band)? How does one spell negativity or is your glass half empty or half full? You must have had a huge amount of complications with a 200K bill and as for the green Beans getting stuck, small pieces and chew,chew,chew. The pain issue is individual case by case but most folks don`t even need their liquid pain medication that they take home from the hospital after the procedure. Hope your weight lose continues and best of luck. I`m getting banded next week and hoping for an easy trip.

Minimeme.......I`m rather confused? 97 lbs lost in 3 months and 2 weeks and your kinda iffy on your (Band)? How does one spell negativity or is your glass half empty or half full? You must have had a huge amount of complications with a 200K bill and as for the green Beans getting stuck, small pieces and chew,chew,chew. The pain issue is individual case by case but most folks don`t even need their liquid pain medication that they take home from the hospital after the procedure. Hope your weight lose continues and best of luck. I`m getting banded next week and hoping for an easy trip.

This thread is specific. What you wish people would have told you before you were banded. I am saying from my very own opinion what I WISH someone would have told me.

The amount of pain shocked me. Yes, pain is relative and everyone is different. But no one, but no one, told me it might be as painful as it was. I wish someone would have told me it might be.

The amount paid by my insurance shocked me. I do not know of any complications during surgery. The huge extras were not doctors fees, they were hospital incidentals. How in the world I used over $140K in incidentals when I was only in there a couple of hours is beyond belief.

And I did chew, chew, chew, chew, chew my 2 green Beans as was evident when they came up. They are still very fibrous and may cause trouble, as I learned the hard way.

So before you accuse me of being negative and not being able to see the positive, please understand why I am answering specificly to what was asked. If someone started a thread of all the good things you band has done, I would have listed the things I love, but that isnt want the poster asked for.

I'm not sure about "most people won't lose 100% of the weight" because I have seen so many people reach their goals. Why would someone opt for a weight loss surgery that wouldn't help them lose all their weight? I think if your attitude is right and you have the right fills you can lose all the weight. Kind of a pessimistic doctor if you ask me.

I can only answer for me, but being 200 is much better than being 350 with my health issues. During lupus episodes, I was walking with a cane. I couldnt get off a puclic toilet by myself if it wasnt one of the higher handicapped ones. So, for me, being able to get around during my worst spells is my goal. I dont care if I loose all of my extra weight or just some of it as long as I can get around unassisted.

Hope this helps you to understand why someone might still have surgery even if they dont make it to a size 6.

I wish someone had told me about the drastic changes in my bowel habits! Since we are eating much less it takes longer for the food to travel down and out, sometimes causing Constipation. I would have started on a stool softener right after I finished my liquid post surgery phase. I guess it's a subject people don't like to talk about. Check with your surgeon and ask what you should be prepared for and what they advise their patients to do!

I take Colace every day now and things are working much better. For me being banded was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I feel so much better, I am learning how to eat "normally" I can now eat 1 cookie instead of 1 BOX of Cookies. lol.

It's a struggle every day but it's been great. Do you remember when you were a kid...and wanted a "do over" well I really feel I was given a second chance on June 25, 2009. My life has been improved a thousand times over. Good luck to you with whatever your choice may be.

What does DH stand for?

I'm not sure about "most people won't lose 100% of the weight" because I have seen so many people reach their goals.

I'm not sure if you were talking about people here, or people you know. Just to be clear for those that are researching...not to downplay all the great WL we see on here, but not everyone's goal weight is losing 100% of their excess weight. In fact many people here have set goals that are still in the 'Overweight BMI' category...some even set by their docs. The statistics the docs give you on each type are % of excess weight lost...100% would be getting to the middle of the 'normal BMI' category.

Jowls - DH is darling (or dear) Husband.

I wish someone had warned me that certain smells would make me queasy.

- Val

Edited by BigMomma

What does DH stand for?

It stands for dear husband usually.

I'm not sure about "most people won't lose 100% of the weight" because I have seen so many people reach their goals. Why would someone opt for a weight loss surgery that wouldn't help them lose all their weight? I think if your attitude is right and you have the right fills you can lose all the weight. Kind of a pessimistic doctor if you ask me!

I am paying for mine out of my own pocket since insurance doesn't cover it, but after reading all the insurance stories, I think I prefer this way. I get to go to the awesome Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and pay a fraction of the cost of the American doctors prices.. and from everyone I have talked to, it was the best experience they have had, no complaints about the clinic or the doctors. I also didn't have to wait for months and months to get approval and all that, so all in all I am happy with my self pay option. I feel bad for all you guys using insurance and jumping through so many hoops but I guess that is insurance for you, huh? They are ever easy to deal with..

Hi Janelle! I am using Dr Ortiz too. My surgery is scheduled for January 15th- this FRIDAY! I'm very excited.

Well I just wanted to say hi and congrats on your decision. I agree with your comments about insurance- we are in the same boat!

Hi Janelle! I am using Dr Ortiz too. My surgery is scheduled for January 15th- this FRIDAY! I'm very excited.

Well I just wanted to say hi and congrats on your decision. I agree with your comments about insurance- we are in the same boat!

Awesome!! You are lucky.. I have to wait until February 22, so I am just counting down now!! Have you been on the other forums just for OCC? I go on both but the other one is just for OCC so everyone is on the same diet plans, has the same experiences, etc.

My mom just got back from surgery and she absolutely LOVED everyone, said it was the best experience. So, you are gonna have a great time!

Hi, I am only 4 days post surgery, but very surprised how painful the trapped wind around my chest, shoulders and back has been!! Even so, if I am lighter at the end of my journey , it will have been worth the pain!!! :thumbup:

Minime, are you sure your insurance company actually PAID the $200,000? I long ago discovered that if you have insurance the surgeon in question will bill a higher amount in hopes recouping what he would get from a self-pay. For example, I have hand problems that requires finger surgeries. I had one finger repaired on insurance and the doc billed my insurance $4800. Then I had one finger fixed by the same doc while I was unemployed and uninsured and it cost me just under $1,000.

Look at your EOB again just to see what was actually PAID OUT.

This is just one bunch of claims for the surgery, there are more. But I guess this thread has turned into how wrong I am. I know what I am talking about, hell I lived it. I refuse to have people tell me I am wrong about my own life so I wont answer any more accusations about how negative I am or how wrong I am or anything of the kind.

The OP wanted to know what each of us wish we would have known prior to banding. I answered. The end.2eb8pqx.jpg

Please everyone let’s keep this thread on topic.

It is good for new people to hear all truths about the band. That does not disclude any one’s personal experiences and does not make any one’s experiences right or wrong.