Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going For It Again in 2010

I know most everyone has abandoned the thread at this point (Hi Joe! me, too! :frown:) but the stories sound so much like my own. I have got to get back on the wagon. I gained 10 pounds over the holidays and the only problem is, I am scheduled for a panniculectomy with Tummy Tuck and breast reduction on 03/24/2010. I had really wanted to lose another 10 pounds before the surgery so that leaves me wanting to shed 20 pounds in approximately 5 weeks 1 day. I don't know that it is possible but I have got to do my best -- just because I want to be at the best possible place for the best results. I was originally scheduled to have surgery in January but I rescheduled because of the weight gain. However, I do think some of my problems may be related to an inability to see change as well as inhibiting optimal exercise capacity due to my large pannus so I have decided to go ahead with surgery as long as I maintain my current weight. Hopefully with a little accountability, though, I will at least lose the 10 I gained before then.

I do exercise regularly but I want to ramp that up to 5 days a week for 1-2 hours and, of course, go back to low-carb eating. I don't necessarily think that low carb is for everyone but I know it is a necessity for me. It is the only way I have ever lost weight, band or not. My body just clings to carbs :wink2: which, of course, I love.

So, anyway, here is to my 1st day (again) of holding myself accountable for my actions -- eating like I should, exercising like crazy and understanding that I may fall along the way but I will just pick myself up and keep going. It is indeed a journey. :)

I would love to have some company, so if you are reading, please feel free to join in.... company or not, though, I WILL do this! :biggrin:

First day went GREAT -- as of this morning, down 2.5 pounds! :thumbdown: I wasn't able to exercise as I didn't feel well last night but I didn't beat myself up over it too bad since I had such a great day with caloric intake. I took in about 1100 calories and had maybe 2 servings of carbs. All in all -- I consider it a great re-start.

Today has also been awesome;

Bfast: 1 egg, shredded cheese, 1 sausage patty

Lunch: 2 oz tuna, 1 tsp mayo, 4 fat-free crackers

Snack: small Starbucks frap (ok! ok! IT was SMALL, though :thumbdown:)

Dinner: Chili made w/venison, shredded cheese, 1 tbsp sour cream.

I haven't totaled the day yet but before the afternoon snack, I had only taken in around 450 calories. Plus, I have had 6 glasses of Water today. Still no exercise but my brother-in-law's father died and we had obligations with that. Tomorrow, for sure, though. :thumbdown:

Hey Southern Missy. I just stumbled onto this thread as I was reading and looking for info about low carb. I saw that you posted a couple of times and then quit. I have just started back on the low carb// high Protein way of eating and was wondering how you were doing. Hope all is well.

I have to go low carb also. That's the best way for me to lose the weight.

I am looking into a Tummy Tuck in June. Let me know how yours goes.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm glad to have found this group. I was banded back in June of 07. I initially lost 51 pounds. In November the doctor took my saline out due to my esophagus being dilated. I gained 17 pounds since my unfill. I tried WW for awhile but it just didn't work for me this time. I decided to start low carbing last Tuesday and have stuck with it strictly. I had lost 6.5 pounds as of yesterday morning but when I weighed last night had gained 3.5 back. This morning I was down 1.5 from last night but that is still a gain and only 3.5 loss instead of the original 6.5. I can't pinpoint why because I have not strayed from the plan. My ketosis strips are in the purple and I should be losing, right? Have any of you guys experienced strange fluctuations in your weight while following this?

here's the deal....yes the band works, of course it works, i would do it again in a heart beat...with out a doubt...but....what they say is true...it is a TOOL...you have to make the right decisions...and even with being an emotional eater...i dont gain like i did before....you may grab a bag of doritos, but you can only eat a few,...not the whole bag like before...ya know what i mean??? I love my band...i believe it saved my life...i still have a long way to go to get to goal...but i HAD NO GOALS before i got the band...right??? I have lost 120 pounds...and would have gained that much or more...or would have died by now without the band...i was completely out of control....and more than just my weight has changed...my confidience and self worth...just keep in your mind that it is a tool, you cant build a house without a hammer...but the hammer doesnt make the house,...its an awesome thing...this LAP-BAND®....and i would suggest it to anyone...I thank God for it every day....

Very Well said, It is a tool that can catch us when we fall. Don't beat yourself up when you "cheat"... just jump back on the horse the next meal. You can't eat alot but you can eat junk food... you do have restriction but you can trick the band by drinking alot or eating mushy junk food or blending everything in the blender.... but once you realize what you're doing... You can start over just like he said.... It's a tool that will help you for a lifetime not like the gastric bypass which only really helps you for less than 2 years. Then you start gaining weight back since you're tool is broken. Relax... and enjoy having the band to get you back on track and don't beat yourself up... You won already by getting the band. :eek:

I got banded in 06. Did pretty good for 2 years..then my band was too tight. Had trouble at night waking up coughing on thick saliva. Went in and my eshopagus was swollen, so I went without a fill for quite awhile. I also learned how to beat the band , eating the wrong foods . I was scared of getting a fill cause I didn't want it too tight. Gained 20lbs back...sucks. just got a fill perfect restriction and I'm back on track. Anyway the point is..the band is only gonna work if you really want it to. There is so many ways to go around the band with ice cream and junk food etc. I just slapped myself and said enough is enough..I paid cash for my band and that's alot of money to just throw away. I'm gonna go for it and use the band and do it right this time.

Good luck to you bandsters ..you can do it too!!