Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Year or More - What I'd Like To Know!!!

I’ve done a lot of things to get myself ready to have LapBand surgery.

• Researched the LapBand for over a year
  • Researched various doctors and facilities
  • Attended 2 seminars at different facilities and plan on attending a third
  • Checked with my insurance company and they cover 50% if you meet their requirements
  • Talked with my Primary Care doctor
  • Met with a nutritionist
  • Exercising 2+ times a week
  • Going to Weight Watchers (again)

I’ve also done some thinking and worrying about whether or not I’ll be able to eat the way I’m supposed to eat for the rest of my life. Like everyone else I’ve done many different diet plans but gained all that I lost and more back. I’ve been on Weight Watchers for the last 3 and a half months and for the last month I’ve been toying with the same 4 pounds. Up and down, up and down and up again.

There are no excuses. I’ve been eating too much. Even with the LapBand it won’t be easy.

What I’d like to know is - Is it worth it? Does the LapBand help that much? Would you do it again? Even if you only lost 50lbs? I’d really love to hear from those of you who’ve had the LapBand for a year or more, when you’ve gotten over the excitement and newness of it all.

Thanks, LynnAnn

Hi LynnAnn and welcome to LBT.

I want to congratulate you on your research, and your attitude.

There are no excuses. I’ve been eating too much. Even with the LapBand it won’t be easy.
This is so true.

I'm just over 2 years banded and believe I'm at the proper restriction level for me. Just yesterday we went out for dinner, I couldn't decide what to order. I can take small bites of about anything but If I want a meal I have to be choosy. A crab cocktail was perfect with a couple of onion rings on the side. Years ago that would have been a snack.< /p>

Is it worth it, You bet! I'm down 77 lbs and wearing a size 11. I'm so happy and have more energy!

I researched for a long time as well, mainly because we didn't have anyone in my area who performed the surgery, but after a year of waiting, I was my surgeon's first lapband patient, along with a proctor with lots of experience.

Losing weight is never easy, at least for most of us, but the band is a tool to help us not eat as much and along the way make healthier choices.

I'd do it again in a heart beat, every time I see a heavy person, I want to tap them on the shoulder and share my experience. My mother was 73 when she had the surgery done in April.

Good Luck!

I'm newly banded, but I would do it again even if I only lost 50lbs. Especially if I was able to keep that 50 off! Every pound I loose now I say goodbye to...don't plan on visiting them again. If this band does anything other than help me keep off the weight I manage to loose I'll be grateful and think of it as a sucess.

I was banded over 2 years ago. I'm down to 178, from 250. I'd still be better off to lose another 50, but if I never lose another pound, having this band is the ONLY way I could have ever done this AND maintained it for this long. I was banded twice, due to slippage and the answer is an emphatic YES, and I would do it again once a year if that's what it took to keep me from going back there.

Hi -

I'm over a year out and a certified 'slow loser', less than a pound a week, in fact just about 35 pounds.

Is this what I had hoped for when I was first banded? No - I had hoped for a speedier weight loss. I had hoped to lose at least 50 pounds the first year.

Does this mean that I regret my decision? No - I'd do it all over again. I'd do a couple of things differently I think. I think I would have been more aggressive with my fills for one thing.

The reason I don't regret my decision, even being a slow loser, is that I know, this time, even though I've only lost 35 pounds, is it's not coming back.

A question was asked by a very wise bandster on this site on the benefits of lap-band vs. dieting. She said to ask yourself this question, "Do you feel confident enough after your weight loss to give all your 'fat' clothes to the Goodwill?" I've never been that confident after dieting, the clothes would go in a box in the basement or to another closet.

This time- all the clothes are going to charity.

Hi,

The lapband is a tool, but It doesn't allow me to eat too much. Before It was harder for me to say no. Now I just stop, because I'm full, or I do not want to get uncomfortable.

I've lost weight slower than I like too. Before I had it, the weight came off at 2 pounds a month, which is slow too. But if I did not keep watching it I would gain it back. This helps me to keep watching what I eat.

Good Luck.

You're right it isn't easy with the band. Because we are a society that celebrates and or commiserates with food, being unable to eat more than a bite or two when restriction is high is disappointing. Restriction is high for me when I'm up too late, up too early, sick, stressed, or excited. Celebration preparation usually increases stress and excitement...go figure.

I lost a few pounds over the christmas season last year though, instead of gaining. I go up and down the weight scale with in 3-4 pounds until I'm down another, then up, then down another. I am after a year losing very slowly now, but still slowly losing. I can generally eat most band friendly foods. I just have to take it slow, and have a little at a time so, over time I get enough.

I am down from a size 24 to some damned cute size 14's that I can buy anywhere. My underwear are no longer support panties, but low rise bikini's. TMI? I would absolutely do this again. Heaven forbid I should end up with complications down the road, but even with... after healing... I'll do it again. I thank god daily for giving me this chance to live life feeling great again.

Yes, I would do it again in a second. I can't say it hasn't been hard. I can't say that the band has released me from my food demons, even a year after the fact.

I have tried to use the band as a tool, rather than a fix it all and it has done me well. Not only have my tastes changed, but I have used the band as an excuse to try foods that I have never been interested in before. I drink at least 2 glasses of milk a day as a way not only to soothe the occassional reflux, but also to give me the extra Calcium that I need. I have learned that fish is not, well, so fishy and that life does go on without the country fried steak and gravy.

I haven't had a hamburger in over a year, but I'm not going to say that I don't have that occassional dream of a bacon double cheeseburger and cheese fries. But the blessing of the band is that, for me, those things are no longer an option even though they may still be a temptation.

The best thing that the band HAS done for me is to force me to face those bad habits and demons that ruled my life before it. Before, my first reaction to stress, anger, fear, sadness was to eat...and eat and eat and eat. And I never believed (at least not consciously) that it was a problem, that I really depended on the comfort of that food so much. But now I don't have that option and I am forced not only to come face to face with that which I tried to hide from or comfort myself with the food, but to find another way to deal with it.

So yes, I would do it again, even if for only 50, 25 or 10# because this life is so much better than a life half lived.

What I’d like to know is - Is it worth it? Does the LapBand help that much? Would you do it again? Even if you only lost 50lbs? I’d really love to hear from those of you who’ve had the LapBand for a year or more, when you’ve gotten over the excitement and newness of it all.

I am 18 months post op..I have lost 102.5 lbs. I have gone from a size 20-22 to a size 10. I have gotten my life back. My husband has gotten his wife back and my children have gotten there mother back, those 3 reasons alone I well worth it to me..The band has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I would do it over again in a second! I have NO regrets. I LOVE MY BAND!

Thanks to all of you for responding to LynnAnn's question...I've been wanting to know that also. And with all the "absolutely yes" responses, it gives me more confidence that this is what I need to do. I so identify with the "life half lived" comment...that's exactly how I feel. Now I plan my days around whether my feet will hurt if I walk that far or if there's an elevator, and I want to be able to do what my soul feels without my body holding me back. I saw a commercial the other night that crystallized my thoughts about my weight...I want to be able to walk along the beach and enjoy it instead of thinking about my hurting knees or feet or how I look. There are so many wonderful things out there to do, and it's time I take care of this issue so I can get to them!

Emily

Great post! This is very inspirational!