Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital Discharge

Hi, I did a search on my question but can't seem to find anything on point.

On hospital discharge from a successful lap band procedure, do most hospitals require that you be met by another adult (to drive you home, etc.) or is it possible to be released on one's own?

I hate to say it, but I am having trouble coming up with anyone I know who would be as discreet about my personal issues as I would prefer. Even my best meaning neighbors and friends do a lot of talking in our small town, and I guess I'm just one of those people who likes to keep my business private. When I went through my year of trying personal training (twice a week, I lost 1 pound in a year), I didn't tell anyone about that, either.

I guess in the end I will have someone, but just wondered if this is a procedure where you can walk out on your own if everything's gone well?

On hospital discharge from a successful LAP-BAND® procedure, do most hospitals require that you be met by another adult (to drive you home, etc.) or is it possible to be released on one's own?

I hate to say it, but I am having trouble coming up with anyone I know who would be as discreet about my personal issues as I would prefer. Even my best meaning neighbors and friends do a lot of talking in our small town, and I guess I'm just one of those people who likes to keep my business private. When I went through my year of trying personal training (twice a week, I lost 1 pound in a year), I didn't tell anyone about that, either.

I guess in the end I will have someone, but just wondered if this is a procedure where you can walk out on your own if everything's gone well?

You will have to have someone drive you home. My dr's instructions were that I needed someone to stay with me for 24 hours post op.

- Val

Yep, that's kind of what I thought. I've had lesser procedures where that was the case.

It does make sense.

Do you have to tell the person picking you up what the procedure was? Can't you aay it was a hernia repair or something?

I wish you had a support system to make things easier for you but I understand the privacy issue all to well.

Like the poster before me said. You don't have to tell the person pickling you up anything.

Tell them you had a colonoscopy, that usually keeps follow up questions to a minimum. Or get a ride from a guy and tell him it was a female thing.

I know this has been suggested before, but I don't remember who should get the credit!

Is there a clergy person (minister, rabbi, priest, etc. you are close with who could help out?) By nature, they probably wouldn't press you for too much info and I don't think you need to worry about that person violating your privacy.

If worse comes to worse, simply call a cab or car service- anonymity guaranteed! :blink:

Good luck-

kagead

My doctor would not release me to a cab driver. I was told I needed a companion for 24 hrs post surgery (it was out-patient).

I know my doc's office could recommend a service that would "babysit" for those 24 hours if necessary.

The surgery center I went to would not release you to a cab, you had to have an adult who was willing to stay with you for 24 hrs just in case. Hope it works out, good luck!

I stayed in the hospital after the surgery for one night. The documents were quite clear that I had to have someone drive me home and I would not be released to a cab driver or car service

On hospital discharge from a successful LAP-BAND® procedure, do most hospitals require that you be met by another adult (to drive you home, etc.) or is it possible to be released on one's own?

Like the poster before me said. You don't have to tell the person pickling you up anything.

Tell them you had a colonoscopy, that usually keeps follow up questions to a minimum. Or get a ride from a guy and tell him it was a female thing.

Excellent answers! LMAO!

Kim - I totally understand about being discreet. What area are you in? Maybe there is someone on here who is close by.

I also was admitted the day of surgery because of pain issues and was told I couldn't not be home alone.

You'll need to get someone to drive you and stay with you at least one night.

What about putting an ad for a CNA for one night?

Usually they want someone to be there to help you home and give the support you may need. I get a ride. I had to go all the way back to the Vineyard. I kept it a secrete for the most part. I asked a friend I worked with a week before and didnt tell him what I was getting down until 3 days before.