Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were your first few days post-op like?

I just came home today, and have been pretty much been just on the verge of nausea all day today. My nose is dryer than the sahara desert. I have no desire to eat or drink anything, but am sipping on broth and Water. I feel like my guts are revolting on me.

Did anyone feel like "ohmygosh what have I done?"

Maybe I'm just emotional, I haven't really slept since surgery and came home to a sick husband to top it all off.

Please tell me this gets better :smile2:

Hi, I won't be banded till 1/05/10. But I do hope your are feeling better soon.

:smile2:

I just came home today, and have been pretty much been just on the verge of nausea all day today. My nose is dryer than the sahara desert. I have no desire to eat or drink anything, but am sipping on broth and Water. I feel like my guts are revolting on me.

Maybe I'm just emotional, I haven't really slept since surgery and came home to a sick husband to top it all off.

Terri -

I know exactly how you feel. It does get better. Just try to walk as much as possible.

- Val

Hi,

I just had my surgery yesterday and just came home today. I am very soar but I have more trapped gas pain than anything else. I also feel bruised and it hurts like hell to get out of bed. However, all the surgeons have told me that the pain will subside over the next few days and that walking for as much as you can every hour or so is the best thing post-op. I did take half a tablet of hydrocodone but it made me even more queasy. So if you can ride it out a few more days without drugs it's probably best.

Lauren

I hear ya and feel ya! I'm two days after surgery, and I'm feeling better, still have a sore back and neck from trying to hold in my tummy while getting up and laying or sitting down. My abdomen feels like I've done a hundred sit ups.

I'm doing my best to drink drink drink, but I'm also scared/paranoid that I'll drink too much too fast and have it come back up.

I did take my first shower last night. Oh that felt so good. I had hubby put a step stool in the shower, cover it with a towel, and then I just sat on it and did my thing. I've got one of those hand held shower wands which made it very easy to reach everywhere.

Good luck, Terri, I think the worst is behind us. I hope.

terri dont worry it will get better. My doctor kept checking on me after my surgery because he said everyone usually regrets the surgery because of the pain and discomfort after. It will pass and soon you will be so happy and on your way to being more healthy. The first few days can be hard but seriously listen to everyone here. Walk more even if it hurts. It will help with the gas pain. I did this journey all by myself and only think of the positive outcome no matter how much pain i am in. I only worry about omg what have i done when it comes to trying to figure out how to tell my family about my surgery as no one knows. My first few days I was never hungry or thirsty and couldnt even tell when I had to pee my stomach was so uncomfortable.

Stay strong and positive

I was banded yesterday (Friday 18th) and am soooo sore around the port area. Still have the bloated feeling after taking the GasX strips. Yesterday was a miserable day, and I sure hope all goes better. On our way home (we live like 57 miles from the surgery center) it came a blizzard...our vehicle became stuck on the highway, our battery ran down, and the cell phone went dead. There we sat for over two hours...and I was trying to get out and walk as much as possible, but it was sooo cold. Finally the rescue squad came along with a 4x4 and took me and my wife home. Thank God for those men and women!!

I feel like I have something in my chest and cant cough it up. Im doing the breathing exercises and walking in the house as much as possible. They sent me home with a small pain pump (about the size and shape of a grenade) that is supposed to keep the incision areas numbed with a numbing agent. I have to take this off myself Sunday. The tiny tubes go into the incision areas.

Im tryng my best to stay with "clear" liquids till Sunday and then I can go on full liquids for a few days. Anyone know of a good source of "liquid" Protein?

I'm 16 days post op and I feel completely normal and have for about a week now. Just hold on, it won't be much longer. If you feel sick to your stomach, call your dr. and ask for some anti-nausea suppositories. I took Promethegan and it helped so much. I never felt sick.

I was just banded yesteray 5 incisions and my dr fixed a hernia my stomach is burning and yes my guts feel like they aré coming out....

I was banded on Monday. The only thing I could think of is what have I done. How long before I can have it removed. I am finally where I can eat mushy foods and things are ALOT better. I am dreading the 1st puke but I guess I will get over it as well.

Yep it DEFINATELY is worth it. I have been banded for about a month now. I understand how you are feeling and it took me a good week to feel better but now i am SO happy and losing weight. Dont even ever feel hungry which is awesome. Hang in there everyone it does get better !!! You will soon be happy for making the decision to be a bandster!:smile2:

I was banded on the 17th, yesterday I felt alot of discomfort. Today I am feeling alot better. I am sore but can handle it without pain meds.I don't have any nausea at all just alot of gas.I think tomorrow will be a better day.

You guys are great! It's so comforting to know that I'm having normal feelings. Last night I was almost to the point of screaming "get it out, get it out, get IT OUT!" Today has been much better.

Sticks, I also felt like there was something in my chest, I ended up coughing up phlegm this morning (difficult to do btw, I practically had to force it up) But just that has made a big difference. As far as Protein drinks, my Dr. recommended the Kellogg's Protein Water drink packets. I haven't tried them yet, but I suppose its worth a try.

day two post surgery & plugging along.....

I had my surgery on the 17th, and I had some nausea that night. Went home on Friday. I mostly feel like there's a lot of gas that's trying to get out. Walking and gas-x strips helps. I am taking the half of a perki every few hours because I don't want to pull too hard on my abdomen area. And it helps take the soreness down especially when getting out of bed and off the couch.

I'm just wondering when the soreness goes away. I can't wait to go back to full liquids tomorrow.

Heightest: 293

1st consult: 284

PreOp Diet: 271

I'm on my way!

I was banded on the 11th, but the only pain or discomfort I've had was my throat from the anesthesia, and the actual incisions, which I think is fairly normal. No nausea or anything of that nature (have you tried ginger tea for nausea?). I did a LOT of walking in the hospital, and I think that might have helped.

On day three I coughed up a bunch of congestion, some with a little blood in it, and after that, my throat started feeling better.

By day six, my incisions weren't hurting so much anymore.

Sorry you're having a hard time, but hang in there, it really does get better!