Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!


Gastric Sleeve Patients
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


vikingbeast last won the day on September 16

vikingbeast had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About vikingbeast

About Me

  • Gender
  • City
    Orange County
  • State

Recent Profile Visitors

752 profile views
  1. vikingbeast

    That Guy

    Best of luck to you. I'm an extrovert, too, and let me tell you, even with the small weight loss I have between the pre-op and this week, I am already a bundle of energy... I'm gonna be annoying when I get down to fighting weight!
  2. vikingbeast

    Immediate NSV after VSG!

    I guess, but I’ve been close to this weight in the past and not even able to drop medications. I hope you’re right… one of my most important goals is to be able to go off all my meds.
  3. It was part of my requirements too, but I'd had one done earlier in the year. It's because so many people have undiagnosed sleep apnea, which can be very dangerous while under anesthesia. I had to prove my APAP settings for the anesthesiologist's office.
  4. I was on two blood pressure medications. One contained a water pill, and my PCP decided that since I'll be struggling to hydrate, I don't need to take the one with the water pill. In two days—TWO DAYS—my uncontrolled (pre-meds) blood pressure dropped from 155/95 to 134/75. I really don't understand how that would work physically, but I'm not going to argue with it!
  5. It's totally gas from the surgery. I'm two days out and the pain is awful from the gas—feels like a heart attack. But as others have said, walking helps a lot.
  6. I gained 6 lbs overnight from the fluids they put into me. But I've also been peeing like a racehorse. Just stick to the plan.
  7. One of the things that contributed to my stress about this surgery was not knowing what was going to happen. (What can I say, I'm a control freak.) So here is the play-by-play as it pertains to me of my surgery. Your mileage may vary! I'll try to come back and update it. Hopefully it'll be of use to someone—"and knowing is half the battle." Day before surgery Liquid-only diet; two bowls of phở broth, some Protein2O, apple juice, and sugar-free lemon jello. Got about 830 calories in. Had to take a shower with a special CHG (chlorhexidine gluconate) anti-septic body wash. It made my skin a bit "slippery". Packed my bag with my CPAP hose, a book, a spare shirt, some chanclas for walking, my cell phone charger, and my reading glasses. Put out the two pills I was supposed to take (no losartan because it interferes with anesthesia). Day of surgery Took another shower with CHG as required. Reported to the hospital at 0630 as requested. Was checked in and taken to pre-surgery holding. My fiancé was allowed to go with me as an exception, because I'm hard of hearing and rely on lip-reading which is impossible with so many masks and partitions in the way. A surgical RN came and told me to wipe my abdomen with CHG wipes, then put on my surgical gown (which was HUGE on me—I understand I'm a bariatric patient but I literally couldn't keep it on my shoulders). Then he put an IV in the back of my hand, took my vitals (I lost 10 lbs in the two weeks between my surgeon's consultation and surgery day), went through all my medications, put an anti-nausea patch behind my ear, and gave me a blood thinner in my IV. My surgeon came in and asked if I was ready, went over a few things, then went to scrub up. My anesthesiologist came in and asked if I had had anesthesia before (yes), and if I had any questions. I asked him to give me a TAP block at the end of surgery, which is a localized nerve block, like an epidural for your abdomen. It lasts 12-18 hours. I was whisked away and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room, where I was given cognitive tests (what is your name, what hospital are you at, who's the president, etc.) and given ice chips. Once that all proved satisfactory, I was wheeled to my room. I don't remember it, because I fell asleep. Once in the room they put leg compression stockings on me and gave me water, Crystal Light made way too sweet, chicken broth that tasted like a salt lick, and a thicker vegetable purée soup. I couldn't get the vegetable soup down. I forced the chicken broth, Crystal Light, and water. I felt very, very hungry and it was frustrating not to be able to just eat something. I took 3 or 4 laps of the surgical unit floor in my fetching anti-slip socks, and kept falling asleep. The pain from the gas was pretty bad and I spent a good 30 minutes just burping, much to the chagrin of the man in the other bed in the room (though he was moaning so he doesn't get to say anything). Around 1730 the nurse came in, saw that I had drunk what I could and had peed sufficiently (you pee into a graduated container), and that I could walk. She asked my surgeon's permission to discharge me, and I was in the wheelchair going out the door at 1830, exactly 12 hours after I arrived. When we got home, I pretty much washed my hands and face and went straight to bed. I got up probably every 2 hours or so, would have a couple of sips of protein shake or water, along with Gas-X (simethicone) or, as needed, Tylenol. I did get about 7 hours of sleep, in various chunks. I was able to lie, carefully, on my side, which is how I prefer to sleep. My CPAP did increase the gas pressure inside a bit but it was tolerable. Day 1 post-op My first bout of the 'foamies'. I tried to drink a CorePower protein milk way too fast and spent an hour and a half wandering around whimpering. It was actively painful and it felt enough like I needed to vomit that I had a lined bucket at the ready. Eventually, though, it subsided. Gas pain is still here and very real, but better. We went for a walk which absolutely tired me out—and it was barely 500 meters! Right now I am using the timer on my cell phone to remind me to drink 1/3 oz. of fluid every 5 minutes, and I feel full but it's manageable. I am alternating full ounces of regular water and protein water. I also made some Jell-O with extra protein powder but the thought of eating it leaves me cold. If I can get these bottles down plus the shake I had earlier, I'll be pretty close to 48 oz. of fluid which is my surgeon's requirement for the first week (bumps up to 64 oz. after that) and 41 g of protein which will have to do for the first day unless I manage to get some of the Jell-O down me. I have been taking Tylenol, Gas-X, and my ondansetron—the nausea is there but it's in the background, like when you step off a ship onto land at the end of a cruise. I haven't had enough pain to necessitate anything stronger than Extra Strength Tylenol. My incisions are clean (I took a shower).
  8. vikingbeast

    September Surgery Buddies!!

    I just had it and while I felt hungry yesterday, today I can't even look at food. If it stays this way I'm gonna be a thin as a rake in no time at all.
  9. vikingbeast

    Hair loss question

    If you are male, I urge you to stay away from Rogaine. It will screw up your hormone levels (testosterone). Not sure what its effect is on women. Every I know who's had this happen says it grows back within a few months. What happens is the stress from the change in eating patterns and from the surgery has your existing hair reach senescence (end of life), and it grows back normal, but because there's enough reaching senescence at one time it looks like hair thinning. I am very glad I keep my hair cut very close, it won't take as long when this happens to me for me to look "normal".
  10. vikingbeast

    8 days till surgery

    Thank you very much for the prayers. I am doing okay but the gas is crazy and making it hard to get liquids down—I take a sip and then have to walk around burping for 5 minutes. My incisions don't really hurt at all, I'm able to get up and down and lie on my back or (carefully) on my side. What little pain there is can be handled by Extra Strength Tylenol. I'm sure it'll get better but I just want all this bloody gas out!
  11. Could be inflammation, or you're retaining water... hope you feel better soon!
  12. vikingbeast

    September Surgeries!

    My VSG was yesterday. The worst parts are not being about right drunk enough water (get some Biotene spray, it’ll hep with dry mouth), the gas bubbles from all the gas they inflated me with, and just how easily I get tired. I barely feel anything from the incisions, can get up and down without issues, and can sleep on my side if I’m careful about turning.
  13. vikingbeast


    This sounds like the infamous "three week stall"—there are thousands and thousands and thousands of posts here about it. Just stay the course and the weight loss will resume!
  14. I was hospitalized for three weeks for a bout of cellulitis and had to go through a long course of "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" antibiotics. If it is hot and swollen, go to the ER.
  15. vikingbeast

    8 days till surgery

    Tomorrow! In just 10 hours, actually...

PatchAid Vitamin Patches