Mili Metz: The Support Group - Working together to help one another
In this episode, Janine speaks with Mili Metz, a former bariatric support group leader. In their conversation, Mili discusses the importance of support groups for bariatric patients and how a support group can help a patient to succeed in their bariatric journey. The journey is easier when we travel together! Here’s a brief overview of the topics we discuss:
- Mili’s inspiration to work with bariatric patients
- Support group and how they differ from individual therapy
- The specific needs and concerns of bariatric patients following surgery
- What a newcomer can expect from a support group
- Supplementing your existing support systems with support groups
- Preparing for weight-loss surgery through emotional honesty
- The accepting nature of bariatric support groups
- Suggestions for patients who don’t have access to in-person support groups
- Mili’s advice for new bariatric patients
Mili has her own podcast, Ask an American, where she interviews people, just like you, to explore diversity and opportunities for collaboration in America today. Her organization is The Swell Collective, an “unconventional nonprofit organization” that focuses on “intersectional needs & strengths of marginalized communities” as well as “themes of ethical collaboration, effective communication, and resiliency & wellness.” You can find out more about The Swell Collective on their website, https://swellcollective.org/.
This podcast wouldn't be possible without our sponsor, BariatricPal.com. If you're looking for a supportive online network of bariatric patients, be sure to browse their forums and connect with other WLS patients from around the world. Also, you'll find amazing bariatric-friendly foods in their store https://Store.BariatricPal.com. If you use the promo code PODCAST with your first order, you'll get 10% off!