Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I get a Gastric bypass after a lap band

I was banded 9/30/08. I managed to lose 30 pounds but have gained 8 of that back. The ONLY change I have noticed is that if I eat too fast food will get stuck and I will either have to wait until it goes down or bend over and let it come back up. I DO NOT experience a full feeling any sooner than I had in the past. I feel stupid for not being able to lose more weight but I also feel that the band was supposed to help me eat less and keep me from getting too hungry. Nope. Not happening. I'm scheduled to see my doc in followup Monday and I am afraid of what he is going to say as I am sure I will be 3-4 pounds heavier than when I saw him last about 8 weeks ago. I have 7ccs in a 9cc Realize band. I am now wondering if I should have had a gastric bypass instead of the lap band and if I my insurance (BCBS of RI Healthmate) would cover the surgery? Any suggestions welcome. I see the dr. Monday 8/17/09. THank you!

Edited by AnnieMae

I having been watching your post, and waiting to see replies. I have basically gained back all but 5 pounds of my pre-surgery weight. I spoke with the MD about my weight gain, since I have been filled and unfilled. He said if we couldn't get weight off with the band, he would recommend bypass. I was banded in May 07, and had lost a max of 59 pounds.

I having been watching your post, and waiting to see replies. I have basically gained back all but 5 pounds of my pre-surgery weight. I spoke with the MD about my weight gain, since I have been filled and unfilled. He said if we couldn't get weight off with the band, he would recommend bypass. I was banded in May 07, and had lost a max of 59 pounds.

Hi<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Banded in Feb 07 also, had to have my band removed due to slipping in Dec 2008 down 85 pounds. Now June 2009 had a sleeve done, down 25 pounds more. The band was great until it slipped. If you go to classes and try not to eat high fatty foods, or soft mushy foods, the band will work once you get it filled where you fill full. Drink 3 quarts of Water a day will help also. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/default%20smilies/smile.gif" src="file:///C:DOCUME~1ChristieLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml101clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Itotally understand and relate. I was banded on 9/16/08. And lost about 25 pounds. Still morbidly obese. Still feeling like I have failed as we do as fat people all the time. I have kept upb with my fills and have good restriction. The band has not helped my hunger one bit. I have thrown up when eating too fast etc. However I do eat sweets but not all the time. The band has helped with Portion Control but has not been that effecitve with weightloss. I would ask the surgeon about gastric bypass if u are comfortable with it. The band works if u eat a lot less;eat no sweets and exercise. The best of luck to u.

You may want to look into all new types of WLS. There are other less radical procedures. They are still cuts but a lot less invasive I think. Wasa my be able to tell you more about the sleeve. It may be a better option for you.

I can relate to all of you and it's very frustrating especially when you see it appears to work really well for some but not for you. Eventually after you've done all you can do to work the band it's left to you and your doctor to decide what the next step should be.

I had mine for 14 months and after surgery the only time lbs dropped on the scale were right after surgery my first post-op appt. I was in the right frame of mind but something was keeping me from being successful. It wasn't until I was trying to figure out "why me" that I found this forum.

I wasn't dropping after that initial appt. and eventually started to gain weight. Every time I gained they just put in another fill to the point where I had so much restriction healthy foods would not go through and I couldn't help but eat around the band or starve!

It was a very depressing thing for me and I lost faith in myself and WLS. After having problems with GERD and being put in the hospital for it my surgeon removed my band. I did not want to revise, I thought nothing would work for me! Then after my band was removed I started putting weight on very quickly. My old size stomach was back. My cravings had never left. My daughter had previously had RNY and dropped 150 lbs so I decided to give myself one more shot because I couldn't live this way anymore. So eight months after the removal I revised to RNY and it was covered by my insurance.

So far so good, I'm not going to say RNY is easy as pie as it's very hard at first and much more painful and a longer recovery but for someone who had lost all hope before and was pretty much devestated after her first weight loss surgery failure it's worth it in the end. It's working and I feel like I was a tough case, maybe I just picked the wrong surgery in the first place who knows? Good luck to all of you and be up front and proactive with your doctors about this. We all had the same goal in the beginning and that was to get healthier by losing the exess weight. Take care, Nancy.

Thanks all for sharing. I know the band is a good tool, however right now I don't have the restriction I need. I am going to look into the sleeve.

Nanook, I am so glad things seem to be going well for you. Afraid I still don't have it together. Have you lost many pounds? I hope it continues to be positive forever.

Tina

Tina,

Hi haven't spoken with you in a while! Yes, things are going well now that I've revised to the RNY. I know that it was just too hard for me to lose with the lap band and am glad that I decided to switch, plus it was covered.

I kind of feel like I need to hang around here in case there are others that have similar problems like I had and can't figure out why they're not losing too. Not everyone can lose with the lap band. So far the weight is coming off at a normal pace, I think and hasn't stopped. There is a honeymoon period that lasts about six months and I'm still in that period and am very thankful it's still working!!!

Anyway take care and know there's still hope!!! Nancy.:)

Hi Nancy. I can't seem to lose weight right now...but I haven't gained the next 70 lbs I probably would have gained by now. :thumbdown: I don't think our insurance would cover WLS but they said I would need to have the doc write for preapproval to see. If you don't mind me asking, how much does rls run?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Tina

I gotta tell you this is a scary post for me. I am getting the band on September 30th. I have an outrageous appetite. I rarely feel full. I can lose wieght on my own but can't keep it off. How where you before you had the band? I believe with God we can do this. Thank you.

Nora

Hi Nancy. I can't seem to lose weight right now...but I haven't gained the next 70 lbs I probably would have gained by now. :blushing: I don't think our insurance would cover WLS but they said I would need to have the doc write for preapproval to see. If you don't mind me asking, how much does rls run?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Tina

Tina,

I haven't gotten any bills or insurance statements yet. I think just the fact that I had to stay in the hosptal two nights should tell you it's going to be a lot! I'm guessing $30,000 to $40,000 but I could be totally off. If/when I get a statement I can let you know. If it's something you really want to do usually a good surgeon's office knows how to word things to get approvals. I had the same surgeon put in the lap band, take out the lap band and do my RNY. Let me know how things progress with you and take care, Nancy.

I gotta tell you this is a scary post for me. I am getting the band on September 30th. I have an outrageous appetite. I rarely feel full. I can lose wieght on my own but can't keep it off. How where you before you had the band? I believe with God we can do this. Thank you.

Nora

Nora,

Some people believe that people who are large portion eaters do better with the band. I was more of a sweet eater and the band did nothing to keep me from eating sweets. Even with restriction and keeping up with my team with fills etc...I still was able to eat around the band and ended up gaining weight. Now that doesn't mean it will happen to everyone but it happens to enough of us that revision to RNY or having RNY in the first place would be a better choice for us. Just discuss this with your surgeon and get as much info as you can before your surgery. Good luck to you, Nancy.

Nora,

Some people believe that people who are large portion eaters do better with the band. I was more of a sweet eater and the band did nothing to keep me from eating sweets. Even with restriction and keeping up with my team with fills etc...I still was able to eat around the band and ended up gaining weight. Now that doesn't mean it will happen to everyone but it happens to enough of us that revision to RNY or having RNY in the first place would be a better choice for us. Just discuss this with your surgeon and get as much info as you can before your surgery. Good luck to you, Nancy.

Nancy,

Thanks for responding. I have been reading and reading and reading. I know several people who have had RNY and lost a lot of weight and hair and have to have shots or supplements everyday or month. I only know one person who has the band, she's struggling. I also have three little girls. I just don't think I can do something so drastic at this time in my life. Maybe if I were older. I'm just praying I do the right thing and that it works. I was going to do RNY I felt terrified. Since I've changed my mind to band I feel very hopeful.

God Bless You!!

Nora:biggrin:

Hey Nancy,

Sorry guys I'm posting a book. But I want you to know probably more than myself are very glad your sticking around. I'm sure you gave a ton of insight to offer.

Nora