Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choosing a goal weight

When you all selected your goal weight, did you go by what a medical standard says is the correct weight for you or did you choose a weight that you felt was reasonable for you? I am struggling with this at the moment.

My initial goal wt was the published standard, then as time went by I upped it to what I thought was reasonable for me. I decided that there is a certain number of calories I am not willing to go below and a certain amount of exercise I am not willing to exceed and that meeting place is the weight I will level off at.

Good luck with your decision.

Mimi

I just knew what I wanted to weigh from the get-go. I knew what weight I looked and felt best at and set that as my goal.......

My Dr set my goal weight at 70kgs (154lbs). He said that at my height of 1.62cm (5'3"), a BMI of 27 was healthy.

But as you can see from my ticker, I'm under that by 7kgs (16lbs). And I prefer it.

In fact, I reckon I look better at this weight. Probably not much less though. So a BMI of around 24, I think, for me, is ideal.

When you all selected your goal weight, did you go by what a medical standard says is the correct weight for you or did you choose a weight that you felt was reasonable for you? I am struggling with this at the moment.

First of all, looking at your results, WOW! That is amazing. I started with a goal of 24.0, the medical standard for the top end of normal. Even my WLS surgeon now thinks that would be too low for me. Soa few months ago, I adjusted my goal to what I remember I looked my best at. When I get there I will see what happens.

I started out at 313lbs i now weigh 163 . I have not set a goal weight yet. I was banded on 10/15/08.i think i would like to lose another 20lbs.

Right now, my first goal is to be under 200. As you can see from my ticker, I'm a ways from that. When I reach that goal, I'll set another. For me it's easier to take it in mini steps. It just seems more doable that way!

Right now, my first goal is to be under 200. As you can see from my ticker, I'm a ways from that. When I reach that goal, I'll set another. For me it's easier to take it in mini steps. It just seems more doable that way!

I chose the weight I was on my wedding day as my goal weight. (142) I'm about 6 lbs away now and I'm thinking it might not be enough, but it takes me so long to lose I may have to settle for it. My surgeon didn't chose a weight for me and I kindof wish he had given me input.

When my doctor ran all those test on me during my consultation meeting they came up with a goal weight of 199 based on my body composition makeup, whatever that means. My highest weight was 388 so anything under 200 sounds great to me. 199 is my goal for now, but I will evaluate how I feel and look at that time and determine if I want to lose more. I am 5'5 1/2. I was 13 I think the last time I was around my goal weight and I know as an adult I would look completly different now.

I choose my goal weight by by two different things. First, I had a pair of white pants that I've been wanting to get back into for the last 20+ years. I did get into them for my birthday. Second, I decided tha 175lbs would be my goal weight. I feel for some reason I was at my best weight then. So I made 175lbs my goal weight to be and stay at.

My doctor didnt set me a goal weight, but did record a weight that was a BMI of 25 for me - 78kg. I know that I spend many years as a teenager and adult at around that weight and frankly, I consider it fat. Its nowhere near the fashionably thin I wanted to be and I always struggled to lose. I guess I had a BMI of about 25 to 27 for most of my adult life until my mid 30's and if you asked me, I'd say I've been fat all my life, so obviously my goal was going to be somewhat lower.

I'd dieted down to about 72 kgs once or twice and I knew that even then I wasnt very happy with that - I'm 5ft 10, so I still felt "big" rather than tall and slim. So I sort of said 67kg to myself. The idiot nutritionist scoffed at that as unrealistic, I hate how they do that without even knowing you, or your strength or determination. Anyhow, I got there easily. I'd had a sort of secret in my dreams goal of 64kg, but could never manage it, I maintained between 67 and 70 very happily for 3 years. Anyway, if there's one good thing about cancer treatment, you lose a bit of weigh. I saw 64kg come, saw 64 kg go as I plummeted to 60, eeek. Back to 63 now, but overall, I think my original goal of 67 was perfect. I do look better just a little bit heavier. I've realised supermodels are supermodels because they can be incredibly skinny and still look good and not bony and ill. Unlike us mere mortals.

anyway, you dont want my life story, but I say pick a weight you know you loved being and go for it, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. And if you've never had the experience of being a normal weight, go by the charts but simply plan to adjust along the way. its your body, your life and you can stop where you're happy to.

Thanks Jachut! You reminded me not to apologize for my goal:-)

I too am a big girl. LOL. 145 is my goal at 5'10 1/2 so about 65 kg for me too.

My doctor didnt set me a goal weight, but did record a weight that was a BMI of 25 for me - 78kg. I know that I spend many years as a teenager and adult at around that weight and frankly, I consider it fat. Its nowhere near the fashionably thin I wanted to be and I always struggled to lose. I guess I had a BMI of about 25 to 27 for most of my adult life until my mid 30's and if you asked me, I'd say I've been fat all my life, so obviously my goal was going to be somewhat lower.

I'd dieted down to about 72 kgs once or twice and I knew that even then I wasnt very happy with that - I'm 5ft 10, so I still felt "big" rather than tall and slim. So I sort of said 67kg to myself. The idiot nutritionist scoffed at that as unrealistic, I hate how they do that without even knowing you, or your strength or determination. Anyhow, I got there easily. I'd had a sort of secret in my dreams goal of 64kg, but could never manage it, I maintained between 67 and 70 very happily for 3 years. Anyway, if there's one good thing about cancer treatment, you lose a bit of weigh. I saw 64kg come, saw 64 kg go as I plummeted to 60, eeek. Back to 63 now, but overall, I think my original goal of 67 was perfect. I do look better just a little bit heavier. I've realised supermodels are supermodels because they can be incredibly skinny and still look good and not bony and ill. Unlike us mere mortals.

anyway, you dont want my life story, but I say pick a weight you know you loved being and go for it, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. And if you've never had the experience of being a normal weight, go by the charts but simply plan to adjust along the way. its your body, your life and you can stop where you're happy to.

my initial goal weight is the highest weight to be "normal" on the BMI schedule... which is 145 for me. right now, i'm 7 pounds away from that goal.

once i'm there i'll see how i feel. I may want to go down to 140.

I came to my goal weight by two different paths. The first was to consider when I've felt my best both physically and emotionally over the past several years. I then tried my best to recall my weight at that time when I felt good in my skin, comfortable in my clothes and positive about myself. That was at a weight of 125-135 pounds. I then went the more scientific route and looked up what my normal weight and BMI should be. For me that is a 115 -154 pound range with a BMI of 21.5 to stay right in the middle of the 'normal' range. My goal weight is 133 pounds as it will result in that 21.5 BMI and is also in the range at which I felt best in the past.

P.S. My this is an aged thread. Great subject matter though and delighted that it was bumped.