Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any type one diabetics??

I have type I and I have a consultation next week. How did it work out for you?

I am Type 1 since my late teens. I am preparing for my pre-op appointment and having a lot of difficulty finding any other info on how this will affect Type 1 diabetes. Even the nurses and nutritionists don't seem to understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 and keep telling me that I'll be able "to stop taking the diabetes meds." They don't get that my body DOESN'T PRODUCE INSULIN ON ITS OWN...

I have type I, am planning on the surgery. Having trouble with insurance approval because of low BMI. Surgery was postponed from august because of insurance hopefully will be able to reschedule soon

Are you on a pump? Have you discussed how to bolus after the surgery with your endocrinologist?

I have discussed the bolus adjustments with the anesthesiologist and surgeon. I had a pre-op consult with anesthesiologist (but then surgery was delayed because of insurance stupidity and now rescheduled for december). They were pretty vague about the whole thing, pretty much told me to put on the lowest basal rate that i use 12 hrs before surgery and then check in regularly with my endocrinologist to adjust after surgery.

Sorry you're frustrated. I haven't met with the anesthesiologist yet, but my endo and my OR nurse said pretty much the same thing: drop the basal entirely 12 hrs prior to surgery and just take regular correction boluses for 5 days after. I meet with my surgeon and endo after that to see about re-programming my basal rates.

I'll check in again on Friday after I talk to the anesthiologist.

I am! I was diagnosed when I was 12 and I got the pump when I was about 24. I am getting banded on 1/31 and they were pretty vague with me as well. I have an endo appt. in a couple weeks so I will ask what to do. I am already do some "trial runs" of fasting to see if it drops and dropping the basal accordingly.

I am nervous about it though. I had a c-section in 2008 and had to do something similar. I would hate for my sugar level to drop and to have to eat and post pone surgery or something.

1. Hi there! I am new here, just starting the process and also Type1 insulin dependent diabetic for 31 years now. I am so excited to be able to lose the weight (50-70 lbs) but I am also terrified of the lows I assume I will have..what if I can't even get the juice down?? Any other type 1's already banded I would love to hear your story and ask you tons of questions!!!

1. Hi there! I am new here, just starting the process and also Type1 insulin dependent diabetic for 31 years now. I am so excited to be able to lose the weight (50-70 lbs) but I am also terrified of the lows I assume I will have..what if I can't even get the juice down?? Any other type 1's already banded I would love to hear your story and ask you tons of questions!!!

I am considering the lap band right now and the low blood sugars are my biggest concern too. Have you found any answers to your questions of not being able to get juice down, etc?

Thanks,

Shannon

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 17 years old and now am 40. I got my band July 19, 2011. I also have an insulin pump. I have lost about 35 lbs. but at a stand still. I have controled my sugar levels fairly well. I have not lost any weight since Christmas. I had an appointment in Jan. but canceled it because I knew I had not lost any more weight. If I eat slow I can hold a senseable amount. My Dr. said in December that I was about as tight as I needed to be. That scares me because I think I am able to eat more than I need to therefore not loosing any weight. Ugh!! Anyone experiencing my pain?

You will be able to get the juice down if you do everything they tell you to. I take things very slow and just in case I have extra swelling, I wait a few extra days before transitioning to firmer foods after a fill. Also, when I do have a low and I JUST had a fill(this actually happened last night), I add a few spoons of sugar to some juice and sip it. It has worked wonderfully and I understand the fear but it will be ok.

I have lost about 70lbs and coming up on my 1 year on the 31st. I just got a fill because I have only lost 7lbs since August. It will be harder to lose as a diabetic but you can do it. I let my sugar levels run a little high, 130-160. That way, when I work out, I'm not forced to drink a sugary drinks and it's been easier maintaining my sugar level this way. My A1c is 7.0 and now that I've had the band for a year I'm more comfortable with lows.

Let me know about any question I can answer :)

Hello fellow type ones...I have been a diabetic since I was 12...my husband has had it since he was 17...I am on insulin pump he still takes shots...he is thin.

I got the fat gene...but

...just got banded the 17 of Feb and down twenty so far

Can't wait to have my first fill..my goal is by the time o turn 35 this October to be at a healthy weight ...so then I can try to get pregnant.....is it hard to get your sugar up after a fill and exercise? ...I worry about having lows ...