Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have lower back pain since surgery???

I had my surgery on 3/12/09, and have felt great ever since, have lost about 25 pounds so far, but I am now experiencing some pretty severe lower back pain, I've had it for the last 3 days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Anyone else experience this after surgery? Could it have anything to do with the lapband?? I've never had issues with my back before so this is all new to me.

Only recently but I can attribute mine to exertion, doing exercises I haven't done in 20 years.

Sometimes I would feel some lower back pain, it comes and goes, not always the same spot, it moves. I think it is gas pain though. I also felt lower abdomen pain after dinner. After I took the Gas-X. It got much better.

After I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago I developed severe back pain that turned out to be a herniated disc. When I was hospitalized for it many said that abdominal surgery can cause back problems by weakening the abdominal muscles. Your lapband surgery could have done the same. I would get it checked out if it doesn't get any better. I ended up bedridden for 6 weeks unable to walk or sit.

I have a history of back pain from being rear ened. On the day of lapband surgery, my back wasn't hurting. As soon as I woke up from anesthesia, I realized my back was spasing severely and hurt as much as my incisions. I think it was because of the position they had my body during surgery. They said they would have my feet lower than my upper body. I think maybe it put alot of pressure on my back. All I know is it didn't hurt before the surgery and hurt like heck after.

Sometimes I feel a little back pain right after I've eaten. It usually goes away after the food goes down though. Perhaps its because of the placement of the band or something.

thanks! It is actually feeling a little better today, so perhaps it was a pulled muscle?!? Not sure, I'll definitely bring it up to the doctor when I go next week just to be sure though.

I had my surgery in July 2005, I believe my band has slipped and plan to have it removed during my skin removal surgery. That said the lower back pain is excruciating, the last 2 weeks has been horrible, even muscle relaxers and valium can not touch it.

I started at 286 lbs and I am now at 157, my goal of 150 will be reached/exceeded upon skin removal.

I exercise daily, walk as much as possible. Do yoga. Nothing helps the back pain. I will post after the removal and tell you if that helps. My plastic surgeon said the weight of the excess skin alone may be causing the severity of the pain.

21 minutes ago, Diane01824 said:

I had my surgery in July 2005, I believe my band has slipped and plan to have it removed during my skin removal surgery. That said the lower back pain is excruciating, the last 2 weeks has been horrible, even muscle relaxers and valium can not touch it.

I started at 286 lbs and I am now at 157, my goal of 150 will be reached/exceeded upon skin removal.

I exercise daily, walk as much as possible. Do yoga. Nothing helps the back pain. I will post after the removal and tell you if that helps. My plastic surgeon said the weight of the excess skin alone may be causing the severity of the pain.

congrats on your success! are you revising to another surgery or just removing the band?