Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone taking Celexa?

Hi all,

I'm taking a very low dosage of Celexa, 40 milligrams. Right before I got my band, I stopped taking it, with my doctor's (not therapist) consent. Well, I tried crushing the pills, but they tasted terrible. Now, I'm a little over a month post op, and :duh!: it hit me this week, that maybe, just maybe, the reason I'm crying, feeling irritable, (hell, angry, too!) is because I should be back on the Celexa.

My therapist said that I probably would need to take it for the rest of my life. I was fine until this week, probably because I was in the honeymoon phase. I'd hoped that I wouldn't have to take it anymore, but apparently, that's not the case.

My question: If anyone is taking it, is it hard to swallow?

Any and all experiences appreciated. (And please don't scold, I know what I did wasn't smart!).

Thank you.

I know there was more I wanted to ask. Maybe it will come back to me.

Debbie .

Edited by serenity55

I take it and do not have a problem swallowing it. If it seems too big try cutting it in half. I tried to stop it because my doctor told me it could slow down my metabolism. Great just what I need. Unfortunately without it I get hostel, short tempered and weepy.. It feels like major PMS that doesn't go away. I know I need it. Good luck!

Thank you, thank you! Wow! You sound like me this week at work!

I took it last night and feel better today. I don't know if it's psychological or not, but whatever it is, I'll take it!

Debbie

Me too I have resigned myself to the fact I need it. I have tried to go off it a couple of times but no luck. For the sake of those around me I take it!

I take it too, have you tried crushing and putting it in your Meal Replacement shake? I did that for awhile and then just cut them in half. I quit taking my buspar and had the same problem and then some, but this was before banding.

When I crushed them they tasted terrible. I never thought of mixing them with my Protein supplement. Now I'm six weeks out, and I can swallow pills whole again, thank goodness!

Debbie!

Edited by serenity55

well my celexa is about the size of a plain m&m my surgeon said this is the max size that i could take without cutting it up i take mine whole but 3 times out of 7 it gets stuck(or the liquid i take it with does) i do skip it when i know im swollen but never for more than 2 nights

I take the 20 generic celexa mg pills and they are very very small caplet shape and work well. Cut in half I cant imagine anyone would have issues with them. Try seeing if you can get the 20's and take one am and pm and see if that works for you. I cant live without them, I know that, I have tried to go off before and not good!

My Celexa is in capsule form, too. I will never go off it again. I felt terrible, and never want to experience anything like that. As someone else said, I have to accept the fact that I'll be taking it, probably for the rest of my life.

Has anyone noticed it having any effect on your metabolism, as someone mentioned? Or has anyone experienced any other effects for that matter? Just curious.

Debbie

I was on paxil before I changed to celexa, and the side effects were awful, which is why I went off of antidepressants and struggled for about 3 years, then my doctor suggested celexa and it was a god send. I have not had any side effects and have had great relief of symptoms.

I take Celexa too. Have been on it for about 8 years now. I split mine in half and have no problem taking it.

I also take Celexa 40mg and I am absolutely struggling in one aspect of my life. I am very unhappy at my job to the point where I am having regular anxiety attacks and major crying spells. My husband thinks the majority of this is because I had the LAP-BAND®® 6 mos ago and my hormones are out of whack due to the weight loss. (he has also had the surgery). I am ecstatic in every other aspect of my life. I have discussed this with my regular doctor, not so much with my surgeon. My reg doc is not comfortable adjusting my medication as i am still losing weight. I guess I need to find a psychiatrist who is familiar with the LAP-BAND®®.

Is anyone else having/had a surge of depression post surgery?

I am currently looking for a new job but I live in a smaller area and jobs are hard to come by....:wink2::frown::tongue2::frown: My dream is to be a housewife and then a stay at home mom once we have children but financially we just can't do that right now.

I would love any words of advice.....

MissyRn,

If you're happy in all other parts of your life, maybe it's not hormonal?

I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, and wasn't taking anything. My therapist diagnosed me with clinical depression a couple of years before that, but I was stubborn and didn't want to take an antidepressant. After my hysterectomy, I would sit in my office and just start crying for no reason. I was depressed like I'd never been before, and I've have some pretty bad bouts.

Once the Celexa began to take effect, I felt better.

I can understand, though, about not being happy at your job. I think that in itself would be enough to cause anxieties. I'm dealing with things right now that, without the Celexa, would probably make me feel more than cranky, like I was today--probably just send me spiraling down in to the depths.

Debbie.