Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers?

I applaud everyone on the weight they have lost.. I am truely shocked though that so many still want to follow this program. I didn't get banded to go on a diet. I guess that's how I ended up with the band because I couldn't stand structured diets like that. I would fall off the wagon then feel like a failure and go back to what I knew best... Volume eating.

Just as I am "shocked" people get banded and even with the help of a nuritionist and "common sense" don't ever get to goal.

Congrats on your loss, you look great!

Edited by CapitolChick

I've been banded over 2 years now and finally tired of gaining the same 5 to 10 lbs back and then losing then gaining, over the past year. So - because of that, I thought it was time to put some structure in my life so I joined WW 4 weeks ago.

The first week I gained 4 lbs and I followed the program to a T, grrrr. Almost dropped out, but decided I need to stick with it for at least a month, the 2nd week, lost 3.6 lbs (almost a break even). The third week I lost 3 lbs, then last week lost 1.4 - making it 4 lbs loss in 4 weeks. I'll take it. I'm getting closer to goal, so I know its going to be harder. But the thing that is helping me is the accountability I have with WW.

I'm using the ww program (point system) and using my band as a tool. WW is teaching me to eat bandster portions, yes, I'm still trying to figure that out after 2 years, but I think I am finally getting it.

I don't think WW is for everyone, just like the band is not for everyone. However, its what I need at this time in my life, so I joined. To each their own as the old saying goes.

I was hoping to have a WW group on here, so glad I found you guys.

Edited by Sunshine2

I applaud everyone on the weight they have lost.. I am truely shocked though that so many still want to follow this program. I didn't get banded to go on a diet. I guess that's how I ended up with the band because I couldn't stand structured diets like that. I would fall off the wagon then feel like a failure and go back to what I knew best... Volume eating.

I didn't get banded to go on another diet either. Last thing from my mind. But when the band is not working and it is going on 4 months with no weight loss. Time to do something and WW has always worked for me.

I didn't get banded to go on another diet either. Last thing from my mind. But when the band is not working and it is going on 4 months with no weight loss. Time to do something and WW has always worked for me.

I agree how is WW any different than people using the dailyplate.com to count calories or whatever other formula people use.Just because we got the tool we still need to learn how to eat healthy & splurge in moderation! I'm happy I joined!!:tongue_smilie: Cant wait to see that scale start dropping consistently.My surgeon also strongly recommended calorie counting & tracking and WW as well.That made it an easy decision for me.

Thank you all for posting. I am so happy to 'read' that there are others out there going down the same path.

HEY, moderators!!! Can you build us a Weight Watchers Board!!

(Do you think they scan these posts?? LOL)

Oh ya, I am now completely unfilled. Had a huge fill which didn't go over well. So I am just chugging along: "me and my points calculator" until next week.

Please see http://www.lapbandtalk.com/groups/weight-watchers-lap-band.html

Jaffa Steve:

My surgeons office had no eating plan to follow after surgery. All that was said was 1/2 cup Protein and 1/2 cup veggies. Drink 60 + ounces of Water. The nurse here doesn't want us to use ANY sugar subsitute. No crystal light, no splenda, no diet foods and no fruit juice and she's not crazy about Protein Shakes. I have stalled on my weight loss and need to try eating differently. I have 6cc in a 10 band and don't really want another fill because I do have some restriction and I'm afraid that another fill would have me PB'ing. That is no fun. So that's the reason for me.

thats my problem too. there seems to be a very UNCLEAR diet to follow and many of us need to follow something. i think the surgeons need to give us more options and more info. i have done WW and Jenny Craig in the past and have lost more weight that way then i have lost with this band. I couldnt keep it off however. Has anyone done Jenny with the band? I assume there might be a protein issue there.

The only problem I see with WW is that it doesn' emphasize enough Protein. Both my doctor and nutritionist have reminded me that normal dietary laws (food pyramid and the like) don't apply to those with the band. If you are completely unfilled, it is a fantastic program. I loved it both times I was on it and lost about 30 pounds each time before I got off the program and gained 40 back. I'm working the band program following my doctor's instructions to the letter. I too have had fills that were a bit too much. I had some taken out and last time I went he wouldn't put any more in. I pay a lot of attention to both what I eat and how I eat it, though I do get careless and stuck periodically. But one of the reasons I had WLS was because these types of diets didn't work for me. I tried them all: WW, south beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig. I didn't go through the trauma and expense to go back to one of the diet plans. But that is me. Weight loss is so personal, do whatever works for you and I wish you the best.

thats my problem too. there seems to be a very UNCLEAR diet to follow and many of us need to follow something. i think the surgeons need to give us more options and more info. i have done WW and Jenny Craig in the past and have lost more weight that way then i have lost with this band. I couldnt keep it off however. Has anyone done Jenny with the band? I assume there might be a Protein issue there.

I guess I should have read more before I posted. I was given very specific dietary rules. I met with a nutritionist twice before and twice after my banding and can meet with her again any time I have questions. I was given a target amount Protein to eat and advised to eat that first then noon-starchy vegetables if I was still hungry. I was told the quantity to expect when I hit my "green zone" and given a list of foods that go through the band easily and have high calories so I could avoid them (my doctor has a thing against nuts and milk). They spent time with me on Vitamin supplements and what I 'd need if I followed the plan. It works for me. Averaging 10 pounds a month isn't exactly as fast as I would like, but it is where my doctor wants me to be (hacked me off he wouldn't give me a fill last visit).

The problem is I wasnt given anything to follow other than Protein first and cut down portions. Thats not working. I have lost no weight for the last month and hardly the month before. 10 lbs a month would be great for me. i certainly didnt have this surgery just to have to go back to ww either but this isnt working so far. so i am really trying to figure what i have to do now.

The only problem I see with WW is that it doesn' emphasize enough Protein. Both my doctor and nutritionist have reminded me that normal dietary laws (food pyramid and the like) don't apply to those with the band. If you are completely unfilled, it is a fantastic program. I loved it both times I was on it and lost about 30 pounds each time before I got off the program and gained 40 back. I'm working the band program following my doctor's instructions to the letter. I too have had fills that were a bit too much. I had some taken out and last time I went he wouldn't put any more in. I pay a lot of attention to both what I eat and how I eat it, though I do get careless and stuck periodically. But one of the reasons I had WLS was because these types of diets didn't work for me. I tried them all: WW, south beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig. I didn't go through the trauma and expense to go back to one of the diet plans. But that is me. Weight loss is so personal, do whatever works for you and I wish you the best.

I wish my surgeon had given me a plan to follow. All I was told was protein first and cut down on portions and excercise. I am worried that ww doesnt have enough protein but i believe that you can work the protein in..not sure though. If I had thought that I would have to do ww after having the band I probably wouldve opted for the bypass. I am hoping my fourth fill will help. I did call the doctor and he said we will talk when i come in for the fourth fill.

Is there a place on this site that gives basic diet instructions for the band? I know each surgeon is different but is there a basic plan to follow?

I get a lot of protein.. But I research and look really hard to find products that have it.

Plus I am only filled 5.0/10cc band so that might make a difference.

Sample Day (points/protein are approximate)

8oz coffee (0pts)

Apple (1-2pts)

lite string cheese (1-2pt)(6g protein)

Ostri-pepperoni stick (1-2pt) (13g protein)

Bullet - 2pts (25g protein)

Healthy Choice Wiskey Beef Entree (5pts) (18g protein)

Green Beans 1/2 cup - (0pts)(1g protein)

Raw Carrots 1 cup - (1pt)

WW ice cream cup (2pts)(5g protein)

Garden Vege Medley (2pts) (4g protein)

Grilled chicken Breast (3pts)(25-ish g of protein)

And I still have more pts for the day..

I do low gi, like I did when I had started nutrisystem. I was used to doing like that and lost better on that than WW because Im sugar sensitive.

Southbeach is another low gi type diet.