Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Debating Lapband Surgery

I am a 75 year old male that weighed 420 pounds when I first considered lapband surgery. My original consultation was to be in September 2008 but was interupted by a hospital stay and the consultation was postponed to December.

While in the hospital, I was on a restrictive diet and lost weight. I decided to maintain a 12-1400 calorie diet upon release and have continued to lose weight. I know weigh 352 pounds.

I am completing the pre operation tests and have an appointment with the surgeon the end on March and I assume a surgery date could be set at the time.

I know the arguments that weight loss after dieting is usually followed by weight gain, but I feel very motivated by my results to date and am debating not going ahead with the surgery.

To date, my diabetes, kidney and heart have all improved with the weight lost to date

I am intersted in hearing from older memebers as how the judge the lapband proceedure and are there others who were able to reject the operation after positive diet results

I don't know about older members, but I have seen time and time again people coming here and to other WLS boards and saying things like:

I was going to get WLS a year ago but I got so encouraged by losing weight on the pre-op diet, that I decided to do it on my own. But I gained back X pounds and here I am to finally get it done. I'm really sorry I didn't get it done a year ago.

OTOH, I've never seen anyone on a weight loss board say they were going to get surgery but lost weight on the pre-op diet and it's two years later and they are so happy they didn't get surgery. And I'm on a lot of boards where people who haven't had WLS are constantly talking about diet and exercise including a triathlon board where people do lose weight from the training.

Personally, I believe that some insurances require a pre-op diet just to get people to change their minds about the surgery and save some money. They know that diets don't work and they know we have a history of dieting without success. There is no clinical data saying people who do these diets pre-op are more successful than those who don't. So there is no *medical* reason to insist on it. It's all part of their delay and deny game.

i would have wls asap if approved by your cardiologist. ur heart will not be able to sustain your weight being 75 years old. i am a nurse, and i don't want to scare u, but being 75 and that high, ur going to get sick w/something sooner than later. good luck. i wish u so much success

Hi, Roy -- I just had my lap band on 3/27/09. I will be 70 years young in June. Yes, I have done every diet since I was 7 years old, been to every fat farm, etc., etc. But it wasn't until I changed my mind-set that I decided to do this. Would I do it again? IN A HEART BEAT!!! I am so happy I did this. But I wasn't ready until now!

Good luck to you.

Pat (pattyrich)

Hi Roy, I wish you the best of luck & return to as much as health as possible considering your circumstances.

I'm 61 years young & am sorry to have had it done. That's only my personal experience. Check my profile for details.

Roy I am 70 and JUST had my band done - with the band in and the pre-op diet I have already lost 25 pounds and I am not ready to quit - HAD I lost the whole 25 before the surgery would I have not had it - NEVER - this decision is one of the best I have made in my lifetime

I have noticed differences already - edema in ankles GONE

blood glucose readings cut in half

can run (maybe 1/2 block) and not puff

and a host of other subtle changes

I have total support from my GP - and my chiropractor and most of all my partner she is REALLY helping - looking up meals to have etc

ALL the best with your decision

Gerry from Peterborough ON Canada:thumbup:

For now, The debate has ended. With the support of my doctors, including my proposed lap band surgeon, I have elected not to have the surgery.

My weight loss in 110 pounds. The the rate of weight loss has slowed down, I am still losing weight. As may be expected, the weight loss to date has had a profound impact on my daily life.

A year ago, I had a sedate lifestyle, having trouble just walking to the car. Now I am swimming 30 min three days a week, walking 1.5 miles three days a week and heavy gardening 1-2 time a week. My arthritis , though not cured, does not bother me when walking. My total cholesterol went to 88 and had to reduce my medication

From all I have read on this group and other sources, lap band is an excellent choice for many or perhaps most persons with a long history of obesity and I fully support their decisions. In my case I was reluctant to proceed and chose a different path. Only time will tell If I made the correct decision

For now, I am still completely committed to the diet. I maintain a daily diet of all I consume. I use Portion Control. weigh my meat, Measure my carbs, ie 1/2 cup Pasta

and estimate my vegetables. Total intake is 1200 -1400 calories a day

A major change in my eating habits was becoming satisfied with a bite rather than of full portion of high calorie foods