Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nausea after deflate

I've been banded for almost 2 years. I recently had just .5 cc's removed (was pb-ing and getting stuck daily for 8 months...didn't know how good life could be with the band after taking out just .5 cc's). Ever since, I've had a REALLY bad stomach ache (pain and nausea at the same time) about an hour to hour and 1/2 after I eat ANYTHING...even an apple. I also get extreme bloating, like I have a basketball in my stomach and extreme gas.

Maybe it's coincidence and has nothing to do with the band, but has anyone else experienced this? It is constant, but seems to worsen after eating. Blood tests reveal no H. pylori bacteria...only slightly elevated white blood cells. Any chance these are signs of erosion from the band being too tight all those months and me repeatedly testing it's limits?

I'm sorry, I can't really answer your question. You must be frustrated and I hope you feel better. I am sort of new here and I'm still trying to learn all the lingo. I'm hoping to be banded in March. Can you please tell me what "pb" means? Thanks and best wishes to you!

Thanks for the well-wishes. Pbing is when your band is too tight and you try to burp but food comes up instead...not really vomiting, but just slimey, undigested food. Yes, lovely! Or this happens if you eat too fast or don't chew well. Although, after removing just a little from my band, I haven't had this happen but one time in 3 weeks, whereas it was a daily occurence before. I just thought that was normal and I was doing something wrong! Not so...

Not ALL ulcers are caused by H. Pylorii. I suggest you go back to your doc; there are other tests they can do....you may need an unfill so they can get a scope in there, but once you're cleared you can get it back. If you have burning etc don't put it off; it's possible it's something that you can fix easily now but if left untended will become huge. :blushing:

8 months with daily pb'ing and staying ultra-tight is a real strain on your stomach. I am really concerned with the pain you are experiencing now as well.

I think if anything, you should go for an unfill as soon as possible to at least allow your stomach to recover. I think you probably will also need to have your stomach scoped just in case. If there is any chance of the beginnings of an erosion, you need to have it looked at right away. I agree that H-Pylori does not always need to be present for an ulcer even though it commonly goes hand in hand.

Whatever the issue happens to be . . . I wouldn't wait any longer to get it addressed because if it is something serious it will probably not improve with time. I would also give your stomach a rest and go into a lighter, liquid/mushy diet for the time being.

Please let us know how it goes. As long as there is no erosion, just staying unfilled for awhile can help to settle a lot of band issues. I wish you the best of luck.

Psalm -

Please please go for another deflate. I was having almost the same problems as you. I wouldn't PB after eating but 1 hour or so after eating or drinking I would be miserable. I got to where I was only eating mushys and still having problems. I had .5 cc taken out in November - still miserable. I finally went in and got 3cc taken out today (3 hours ago) yes 3cc not .3cc OH MY GOD what a difference. No more pain, no nausea. I feel like a new person. Granted I might be back in a few weeks for a fill but I to went thru daily misery for almost a year. Talked myself out of needing to be deflated- felt like I was a failure. If you would please take my advise. My doc was so very understanding and was more than happy to alleviate my misery. I wish you well but being to tight isn't just about pbing and sliming.

Thank you for the advice. You went thru the same thing?? You understand that it's different from the normal "stuck" feeling you get with the band being too tight or when you eat too much, right?? This is all day, no matter what I eat, even just an apple...about a hour later I'm nauseous and have a stomach ache similar to morning sickness...also kind of a gnawing feeling like I'm STARVING and barfy at the same time.

Is this really what you experienced? Thanks for your help.

Yes yes yes. I was not getting stuck. The food that I ate, no matter what it was, just would stay in the pouch until I would get sick. I've had the sliming, I've had food get stuck. This is different. Yes I had the hungry feeling but knew I wasn't. It took me forever to make the decision to get deflated. But now the morning after I am still so pleased I can't tell you how much better I feel. My husband even noticed the immediate change in my mood.

You may need to have more Fluid removed from your band. I just had 3 cc removed on Monday and woke up Tuesday morning feeling better than I had in weeks. I didn't realize how miserable I was because it started so gradually. I hit a plateau in November and weight was just bouncing up or down a few pounds. I didn't have much of a problem with pbing or sliming maybe 1 or 2 times a month, but I had a scratchy lump in my throat and swollen glands. I also had problems with bloating and gas. My jeans were getting tight around the waist and my weight went up a few pounds and didn't come back down. I was hungry and grazing in the evening. I was on edge and cranky all of the time. It came and went and I just thought I was fighting off a bug. Then things tightened up and I woke up one morning and had a hard time taking my Synthroid Pill which is very small. I had a poached egg that got stuck and I went on liguids the rest of the day. The next day I was able to eat with no problem. I called the doctor and they told me they thought I was too tight. My last fill was in January. It was for .2cc taking me to 7.6. He decided to take out 3 full cc's. I was suprised he took out so much but I feel so much better, no more bloating, sleeping better, no more grazing, and the weight is heading in the right direction again.