Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out -- what is your diet?

Hi everyone!

For those of you who are now in their third week post-op, what is your diet for this week?

I am in my second (and last!) week of mushies. 3 small meals and 3-4 Snacks.

I have to admit though, for the past few days I haven't been pureeing everything -- I have just been eating little bites ofsoft foods and chewing them really reall well.

Is anyone on solids yet at three weeks? Any oen still on liquids??

I get my first fill on March 2nd (and first follow up visit! Yes, won't see my surgeon since surgery until 6 weeks out!!)

hi there, I was banded on the 21st of Jan. I too have been having some soft foods. I had some fish last nite, just a bit. it went down good. I have had 2 boiled eggs with a bit of Olive oil mayo....very good, soft. I even had a Healthy choice meal, just chewed chewed, went down good. I go to the dr. on the 16th of Feb. see if I get a fill?? I am feeling quite hungry at times.

Good luck to you, keep in touch, we are almost at the same stage.:confused: 9 lbs down so far. No pre-op

How about yourself? Patti

I was banded on January 14th and am on a regular diet. I'll have a Carnation instant Breakfast (with dry milk for extra protein) for breakfast. tuna salad or chicken salad for lunch, yogurt or string cheese for a snack and a chicken breast or turkey for dinner with a small salad & a small carb if I'm still hungry.

My first fill is scheduled for the 17th of this month and I am really looking forward to that!

I Guess I should edit the topic here -- I meant what stage does your doctor have you in for the thrid week after surgery, not what "diet" you will be using.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!!!

I was banded on 1/23 and have had a little setbackfrown.gif My mentor explained what pb'ing means and I've experienced that feeling but didn't know what it was. Nothing actually came up so I just thought it was a "burp." :thumbup: and kept eating. Now that I know this coupled with reviewing the notebook I received from my doc again PLUS, the gas and now serious Constipation I'm experiencing, I think I have been eating too much.

My stomach is literally in knots. I've decided to go back to the full liquid diet for a day or two in order to get my tummy straightened out. I've added prune juice to my daily intake and hopefully this will help to cleanse my system. I also purchased a food scale and some measuring cups. When I went back and read my post op instructions, I realized I'm only supposed to be taking in 1/2 cup of food for 4-6 weeks after surgery. This is my 3rd week and last night I had about 2oz of salmon, 1/2 baked potato and an 1oz of brussel sprouts. I mashed the stuff up pretty well and ate slowly, but obviously I'm eating way more than what I'm suppose to have, plus I need to limit starches to about 2 servings a week. I'm paying for it now.

Let's hope my system clears up in a couple of days. 1/2 cup of food is NO food at all, but I will do my best. :)

I agree, Sharon. You're probably eating too much at once. Try this method --

1. Measure only 1-2 oz of your Protein serving. The drier the meat, the less you should have. For instance, I can have a bit more meatloaf than I can steak, because the steak has less moisture. Eat this first, with nothing else around.

2. Put down your fork between bites. Chew at least 20 times before permitting yourself to swallow.

3. Cut up your food like you're cutting for a tiny baby who's just learning to eat finger foods.

4. "Listen" to your body. It does signal when the pouch is full. I get one sharp pain, and then it settles. At that point, I get up and remove my plate back to the kitchen and away from my sight.

Optional: 5) I wait at least 15-30 minutes between courses, progressing from Proteins to vegetables and finally --this hasn't happened often-- to a small spoonful of carb. I rarely make it past the veggies before I'm so full I think I'll burst.

I probably should say some nice closing statement, but my brain shut down two hours ago and I went on autopilot. Hope I made sense. Good luck.

My mentor explained what pb'ing means and I've experienced that feeling but didn't know what it was. Nothing actually came up so I just thought it was a "burp." :thumbdown:

Would you mind sharing with us what your mentor told you about PB'ing? I have a very base knowledge of it and would love more info. My doctor did not mention this at all, i am just picking things up here and there about it!

Thanks!!

Three weeks out we're on soft foods with no Fiber. We don't get Fiber till week 4 when we get to go to a regular diet. I do get to have toasted low fiber bread now. I had a slice with 2oz of sliced roast beef and a slice of muenster cheese melted on it for breakfast. Yummy!!

Christy

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum. I was just banded on January 6 in Wichita Falls, TX. I have a strange story to tell you about the post-op diet. I was told to eat the CLEAR liquid diet for 2 weeks post-op. For the second week my doc said I could start eating salads but I needed to remain on the Protein Drinks and Clear Liquids. When my band was placed it was not filled - not sure if any are at surgery - but my doc wants me to wait 6 weeks until I have my first fill becuase I was experiencing a lot of nausea pre-surgery. So much so that I was sent to do a pre-op endoscopy/colonoscopy to see if my intestines were ok and they didn't find anything more than a few benign stomache polyps and a small case of gastritis. Anyway, since I was on a clear liquid diet for an addional week before my surgery, I was on that clear liquid diet for 2 weeks and it was making me very nauseous just because I hadn't eaten in so long. When I told my surgeon I just needed to eat and I would feel better he acted like I was asking for a box of cookies! I just needed to eat solid food to feel better again but he wasn't sympathetic to this. So.... after being on the clear liquid diet post op for a week it dawned on me - the band isn't filled so why do I have to eat liquids only? So I slowly introduced solid food each day and now I am eating a completely NORMAL diet - 3 weeks post-op. As soon as I started eating the non-clear liquid diet my nausea went away and I was fine. I have still lost weight these weeks ONLY because I have been dieting too. I am 5 6", 242 lbs now and started at 252. I hate to say it but I am counting calories all over again. So the normal diet was all fine up until a few days ago. I have had some nausea and a bunch of cramping and liquid stools each morning for the past few days that is followed by me falling asleep at my desk - but I also have a cold/flu thing too (cough, runny nose). I am not sure exactly what has/is causing this, but I am returning to the liquid diet/moist mushy again until I can feel better again. The worst part for me is the extreme fatigue I feel most of the time. My doc is an hour away and he is in surgery until 2 pm a lot of days and I haven't been able to get ahold of him or his nurse to discuss my situation. That's why I came here - to see what was up with the diet and if anyone has had any similar complications. Thanks for any input/critiques.