Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight did u lose b4 .....

Hello ! So, i'm just wondering ...

How much weight di you lose before you HAD to go out and buy new clothes?? I was Banded in Oct, I'm down 32 lbs, and my butt is baggy in all of my pants. LOL but they still "fit", and i cant afford to buy a whole new wardrobe. Did it take a loss of around 30# ? 40#? 50#? I'm just curious where I'm fitting w/ other Bandsters :)

Thanks!

I had been a lifetime dieter so I always kept a stash of "skinny clothes" in my closet for the next time I lost weight. I started in a size 18 but had size 16's and some 14's boxed up. I think I had lost around 30 pounds when I pulled out my "skinny clothes". At around 45 pounds I had to start buying clothes. How much weight you lose before you shrink out of your clothes depends on your body though...45 pounds off someone who is short is going to look different than 45 off a tall person (I am 5'4)

I bought cheaper stuff from Walmarts clearance racks or I went to thrift stores and found some great deals second-hand. I am in a loose size 8 now. I still wear my size 12's and 14's around the house they hang off me and DH jokes but until I lose the last bit of weight I am not going to buy any new clothes.

Edited by Jodi_620

I was wearing size 22s for a long time before I went to the store. I was shocked to find I was a 16. I brought them home and did a little fashion show for my husband and he just stood there with his mouth open. He was shocked. I kept having to turn around for him. It seemed like I had suddenly from a size 22 to a 16 and was apparantly quite shocking. The same thing happened at work the next day. It was definitely worth getting new clothes. I've had done it sooner if I'd known how it would make me feel.

Britt

hi i went yesterday to the avenue plus to buy three pairs of jeans. i went from a 32 to 26. i got tired of stitching up the size 32 pants in the waist.i am not going to buy anymore soon.

Being banded 4/6. I've lost over 40 pounds so far and from 48 pants to a 44. Bought 3 pairs of 44's and wearing the big ones to work. Just hope my belt holds up. lol

I started having to buy new clothes after 20 lbs. I am a teacher so I must have clothes for work. I try to keep 1 pair each of jeans, khakis and black dress pants. Well, I have gone from a right fit blue size 6 down to a right fit blue size 2; and in other clothes I went from a tight 26/28 down to a getting loose 18/20. I need new black pants and khakis now, but I refuse to buy them because I only have 9 weeks of school left, and I don't want to buy black pants until school starts next year. :scared2:

it varies depending on how your clothes fit.i refuse to buy new clothes every size. if you can wear a belt and Iron acrease in our pants 2 make them neater.put adart in the waist band

Finances will definitely factor into your decision making, but just know that wearing clothes that are too large will make you look bigger than you are. If that is a concern, I would recommend looking for a few inexpensive items that you don't mind wearing for only a few weeks. I have started buying clothes at Target, which is something I never would have even considered before. Crazy thing is, they look good, so I might even continue to do it once I reach goal.

I know budget can be a big factor is shopping strategy. But some excellent suggestions have gone before me.

I find wearing clothes that fit nicely to be a good motivator. Wearing loose and baggy stuff doesn't show the new me!

My surgeon has a support group where they do a clothing exchage, and people bring in what doesn't fit to donate to those who can use them. Perhaps there is something like that in your areas? Or you could start something.

I love to shop, so I bought a few things with every size drop. But some of my nicer things I had tailored to fit the smaller me.

In my area having a pair of slacks taken in is around $14.00. Not bad to keep a fairly expensive pair of pants in the closet for a while. When done by a professional, you can't tell that anything was done. Had I attempted it, ugh!

Has anyone else noticed that pants get longer as your thighs get thinner? :)

Now that my weight is pretty stable, I don't have the excuse to shop so much :)

My size has never been the same this long, I might actually wear something out!

Denise

I think I was around 35-40lbs. when my secretary told me to BUY SOME CLOTHES THAT FIT. haha

Since I don't want to spend a fortune on temporary clothes, I have gone to Goodwill and found some good basic pants. I'll shop for tops but, it's the bottoms that I'm going through so fast.

I am a teacher also, so I have to have clothes that at least look decent for work. I knew I HAD to buy clothes because I was working in my classroom one day before school started and my short literally fell to my ankles. Since I had my surgery over the summer, I had lost a fair amount before school started back. I bought several dresses on clearance racks along with a few pair of pants and some tops. I wore teh dresses until they literally hung off of me. For me, I can wear dresses longer that pants if they don't fit just right. I only shop on the clearance racks, though. Sometimes I feel like a cheapskate, but I refuse to pay full price for something I won't be wearing long. I'm already getting rid of some of the things I bought after surgery. There really aren't any good second hand stores around where I live or I'd be all over that.

lol i started buying clothes in different sizes before i had the surgery. i bought anythign on sale at macy's that i liked that was in sizes smaller than i was currently wearing. i always buy off season and use coupons. my new obsession is going to consignment shops. i am in connecticut and we have some real great ones. i can buy beautiful clothes for a dollar or 2- some not even worn. i am 1 yesr post op and i have gone down 5 dress sizes- i have had more sucess now than i did inthe begining but i am also working much harder at the weight loss - not just depending on the band- i actualy work out every day and enjoy it- the first year i did not exercise as much as i should have.

keep going with your sucess

I too was a life dieter so had clothes from 22 thru 16's so I am still ok'.. but at the end after these are gone and I feel the same way about paying for new clothes that- hopefull- I won't be in long.

I have every intention of hitting the good will store and doing some shopping and maybe a consignment shop or 2. I just brought 12 jumbo garbage bags full of clothes to good will myself.

The things I have to pay to get new are panties and bra's and I have an especially hard time paying for those for short term use...but do buy those new. Thankfully there's and outlet mall right by my house and I have been leaning towards the sports bra types of bras since they seem to last me a bit longer while still being supportive.

At least I'll get a huge tax break for my clothes donated for this next year!

PS. I was SO happy when I hit a 16.. I did the same modeling thing with my husband. He was so proud of me he dragged me to the store for upscale work out togs. I told him I didn't want to spend the money on them but he said I deserved and and insisted. I am SO glad he did... I feel like such a jock now in my work out clothes...all color coordinated and fitting right... that I leap out of bed raring to go work out vs. rolling out and going with the obligatory feeling!

Getting some new clothes is SO worth it... that pair of 16 jeans (even if they were 16W) made me feel pretty hot... and I don't care if to most I am not... I felt that way...and it was SO worth it!

Just a thought for those on a budget. I've bought and sold on ebay for several years. I know that plus size clothing sell. If you display them and take good photos to present them, you would be surprised how much you can make. A good idea is to sort your items and lot them up in 6-8 pieces each, start a low bid. You not only get them out of your house but you make some money to spend for new clothes. You can also find some good deals on ebay to purchase for yourself. Items you feel aren't worth selling, you can donate or give to the needy. If you donate you get a receipt for your taxes. You can also sell on craigslist and it's free but only covers your area. You can also sell them directly from your home like a yard sale/garage sale during winter. I just like doing stuff like this and have been very successful. Just a thought, some may not feel it's worth the trouble.

There's also Freecycle. It's hit or miss, but since it's free.. ::shrug::: www.freecycle.org