Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a failure...PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank you Marivan! I think I will go back for another fill, I have been reading on here that it can take up to 7cc to get a decent enough restriction to really work, so fingers crossed. I have been kind of frightened that I have stretched my pouch as to why it had not been working. I have learnt though about the hiccups! that it was a full indication so will be mindful as I sometimes get them. Its great to have all your storys and experiences to look over and I think it will help me with my future battle :)

Best of luck with the wedding sugar! Keep at it! and keep us posted! have you taken any work in progress photographs??

Anyway, warmest regards

and biggest hugs!!

x R :)

Hi I was banded on Oct 2007..I am down from 287 to 200 or so... and I stopped losing all weight around Dec..so at least I know I am not alone..I am ready to get the next 50 off...I just dont know where to begin..I have 7.6 cc's... I know my calorie intake is still to high around 1800-2000 ... with shakes... I exercise 4x a week/walking..but I am confused..when I had 8.2 cc,s I ad to get it removed..I couldnt swallow water...but 7.6 is like not having restriction..so if anyone has good advise of what to eat daily ect..please advise..thanks to all...

I have found that after a while, I am able to eat more than I used to be able to. I read somewhere (maybe on another thread in this forum) that our stomach pouch stretches a bit and this is why. Also, we rely on shakes or other slider foods to having problems with real Protein and as a result end up eating a lot more.

There is a site called the five day pouch test that gives you advice to get on track. I did it a few months ago and finally broke a plateau that I had been on for ages. It's worth a try.

It helped me to shrink my little stomach and I started to feel full again. Plus I think I lost five pounds which was a nice breakthrough.

It is meant for bypass patients, but is good for lap band people too as we have the same issues. I've thought about having another fill, but I still have issues if I'm not careful and eat a bit quickly and having a tight fill isn't really good for you.

Hope that helps.

I just personally feel that Protein Shakes are evil. I won't drink them hardly ever. I don't want to waste my calories on a Protein Shake. Most are 150 calories or more. That is a really decent sized snack for me when I'm trying to stay around 1100 calories. I will have a shake or two the day of a fill, or maybe the next day, but other than that, I haven't wasted my money on them. I really really believe that chewing my calories and Protein is much better for me than drinking them, especially when I drink a shake and I'm hungry an hour later. I have noticed that I take in much fewer calories when I'm not having protein shakes, because my stomach is staying full longer from real protein I had to chew. I do buy protein meal bars though. The pure protein brand at Walmart is ok. Most have 20g protein. I watch the calories though. Those I have for Breakfast and they keep me full until lunch. Maybe for those of you who are still doing protein shakes, just cut them out. Plan your protein intake accordingly without the shakes, and see if you are staying full longer, and can stretch your meals out further. Just a thought.

After I went through the phase of mushy etc I got in the habit of drinking a shake for Breakfast each day, but when I showed my diet sheet to my clinic's nutritionist, she also said that I should start eating "real" food for breakfast instead of the shakes. It's so easy to just make a Protein shake but I have started to cut them down to mornings when I go to my pilates (so my food is out of my stomach) or I have to get up really early for a meeting. I'm finding that eating scrambled eggs for breakfast is making a difference.

So I have to agree, that while I don't find them "evil" :P I do agree that we should all try to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens!

All good tips!

Hi, I am new to the site and feeling your pain. I have been banded for 8 months and only lost 19 pounds. But I read these posts and it has really got me motivated to move on, get in for a fill and let this band do its job. rolleyes.gif

Hi Bandfriend,

It is good if you can get some inspiration. I'm pleased with my band, and it has helped me stick to some plan for a while, but it isn't as easy as I thought. But I think I am starting to lose again after a six month plateau. I'm starting with a personal trainer on Friday to see if I can get some ideas to change my work out. It's so easy to get into a rut, with exercise and eating.

Maybe your clinic can offer support meetings? I'm a bit far away from my clinic so I am doing my best to keep motivated.

Let us know how you get on.

Mary

Well thank you all for your advice. I am so close to Onederland I can taste it. I have been floating between 206 and 210 for months. I've been sick and busy with going to school and not having the energy to go exercise...I just want to get the motivation I had back before the surgery. I think today is gonna the start of it. I threw up last nite right before I went to bed and now this morning I am so swollen I have to SIP coffee and Water or else it really hurts. I called my doc and she said that my band didnt slip it's just really swollen and suggested me coming in for a little unfill if it doesnt stop hurting. She also said that it wouldnt hurt me if I only did liquids for a few days. So hopefully this is gonna be the turning point to get my motivation back and start the weight loss again.

So any advice u could offer would be greatly appreciated.

blessings to all

dolphin

Hi Dolphin,

You must have a really sensitive stomach for you to be swollen still in the morning. She is right, you should do liquids for a few days to settle it down. Warm drinks should help too. I also would recommend taking arnica if you have a health store near by. It is a homeopathic remedy that is good for trauma. Emotional or physical. It helps with healing of bruises as it has an anti-inflammatory effect. I find it helps when I have fallen or given myself a good bash.:thumbup:

What surgery did you have? (forgive me for being ignorant) It isn't the band surgery?

You will do fine. In fact, it may be good for you while you are letting your stomach heal and rest to also make a point for two weeks or so, not to look at the scale. I really find that if I get on the scale when I feel thinner and know I've done well, that if it registers no change or heaven forbid, a gain, that it ruins my day, my resolve and is counter productive. Yet I am thinner in inches.

Also, I'm convinced that our brains do have something to do with that magical 199. I remember years ago having a plateau and I was at 202 and hovering for a month. I just could not break that 200 mark. And I've heard it so many times on these forums. It can't be any physical number for our bodies, as we've invented the weight system. :) So it is definitely psychological. And my seven month plateau this time was a weight that I have never gotten by in my gazillion diets I've been on. Co-incidence? I think not.

I'd say this is a perfect time to try the 5 day pouch test since you can't really eat too much anyway, and that is bound to kick start your resolve and weight loss. I wouldn't recommend an unfill unless you really don't get further than drinking coffee. I just don't think your fill level is ever quite the same again.

Just my two cents worth, but a lot of us on this part of the forum know how you feel, we've all been there. But I still say we aren't in a competition and be proud of what you've done so far. And what is on the scale is definitely not the whole picture.

Also, if there isn't any physical reason that you can't exercise, you should really try to start. I say walking or the best is a few simple weight training moves. Helps the metabolism, makes you stronger and gives you energy to move onto other things! Plus good for us dieters as it counteracts against our bone loss.

Keep that chin up and give yourself a break. You are doing just fine.

M

I am in the same boat. I can eat anything,I dont want to go back to the doc because he said i should be further along,and i feel like a failure.

You paid for the surgery (or your insurance did) don't down yourself. they are there to help you not put you down. Pick your head up high and keep trucking along!!

I also feel like a failure. I had surgery on july 1, 2008. I lost 52 lbs. I have maintained but not lost anymore. I was exercising three hours a day for 4 months and didnt loose a thing. I cannot eat very much at a time no bread at all. I dont think i go over 1500 cal per day on a bad day and maybe 1000 on most days. I am very tight. I really didnt want to loose very fast because i didnt want to have such terrible sagging skin. But i havent lost anything since january. I am thinking of a revision to vertical sleeve so that i dont always feel like something in in my throat. I havent exercised in two months due to sorriness and disgust. I am under a lot of stress due to our business that has been going down. We are trying to sell but no luck. I have been feeling sorry for myself. I hope someone has a suggestion for me.