Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

WOW Christina - I think we all NEEDED TO HEAR YOUR STORY - Needed to hear how "being too tight" is truly the wrong thing for us. Needed a reminder that the band on its own isnt the solution - that we need to connect to our band mentally - restricting the ability to eat food will not work - but an appropriate restriction along with mental committment and willpower is the right approach.

Interestingly enough, reading your story has just motivated me to get back on track. Plus it is rare to meet other fellow 6ft ladies - I too am 6ft and fighting to get to 200lbs - Once I get there, I will re-evaluate my goals - but since I am not the "skinny kind" naturally - have always had muscle tone - I dont think I will go too much lower than 200lbs.

I'm so glad to hear that you are taking the right steps now with your band and are recommitting to using the band in the right way. Hopefully the acid reflux issue will correct itself sooner rather than later. Please share what your diet looks like, so that we can take some tips from you.

Again, thank you for sharing - I get the hint of RESOLVE TO SUCCEED in your message and that has inspired me and I am confident will inspire others as well.

Out of curiosity - can you shop in regular stores at 230 0r 220? I am still a Lane Bryant Shopper at 250 and I cant wait to be able to shop at the "regular store." Where do you get TALL jeans from????

Why is it that when I was eating my fried foods - Philly Cheesesteak and a basket of fries - I ate EVERYTHING and had room for more, but now that I am back on track, eating healthy, I feel the restriction????

It's almost as if the band loosens when you are cheating - helps you CHEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I've finally hit the 50lb loss. I am SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to be back on track despite the HORRENDOUS Thursday and Friday!!!!:sad_smile:

How are you doing, Fellow strugglers?????

Hi Fellow Strugglers,

I have just joined the December Excercise Challenge. As part of our recommittment to our bands, I think it is essential that we work out!!!

Here is my December Workout Goal:

a) Do Tae Kwondo 3 times a week

:sad_smile: Do spin class at gym, 2 times a week.

My other Band Goals for December remain the same, as:

a) Eat up to 1500 calories a day

:tongue: Write down everything I eat on Fitday

c) Measure out everything I eat (I need to buy a food scale)

d) Drink at least 8 glasses of H20 daily

FELLOW STRUGGLERS - I met my FIRST excercise GOAL - I woke up this morning and went to the gym for a 1hour SPIN class - WOW - I can't believe it and I am shaking with excitement. 1 hour down, 14 to go!!!!!!!1

Where are all my fellow STRUGGLERS???? How are you doing??? What are your Goals for December???? :biggrin:

Hi! Fellow struggler here. I was banded Aug 07, lost 40 lbs at my best point and gained back 20 lbs after an emergency unfill. I know I have been slacking off, eating through my band and not exercising. I am determined to get back on track.

My goals for December are simple:

1. Track every bite of food I eat.

2. Exercise every day.

3. Post here every day.

Well, it seems simple enough. Now, if I just do it every day for the month of December it will create great habits.:angry_smile:

I am thrilled to know there are others like me, who failed their band. I am now committed to measuring everyhting and sumitting to the band principals of allowing my band to talk to me instead of me overtalking it! I will measure up!

Hi! Fellow struggler here. I was banded Aug 07, lost 40 lbs at my best point and gained back 20 lbs after an emergency unfill. I know I have been slacking off, eating through my band and not exercising. I am determined to get back on track.

My goals for December are simple:

1. Track every bite of food I eat.

2. Exercise every day.

3. Post here every day.

Well, it seems simple enough. Now, if I just do it every day for the month of December it will create great habits.:)

Webkat - WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME - We can definitely do it!! I'm sorry to hear that you had an emergency unfill and I truly do hope you are OK now. How is your appetite? Are you getting any restriction from the band??

Those are great goals I particularly love the tracking of everything you eat. I am using www.fitday.com and I LOOOOVE it.

The working out everyday - what does workout mean to you? does it mean going to the gym? If so - wow that is so lofty!! :lol: Or if it means do something active everyday like shovel snow from the driveway and vacuum in addition to some serious activity, I think this is an AWESOME GOAL.

Posting everyday on this - I can tell you that this has helped me be accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even had to confess to my activity last week Thursday and Friday - It was bad and I gained two lbs. But because I came back here, confessed and recommitted, it is now 4 days later and I lost the 2lbs I gained and then so far, I have lost an additional 1. So please, do spill your guts out here daily, regardless of the good or poor food decisions.

I am excited for you WebKat and I am confident you will be successful. We will be successful!!!!!!!!!!!! now get working on those goals!!! :w00t: :thumbup:

I am thrilled to know there are others like me, who failed their band. I am now committed to measuring everyhting and sumitting to the band principals of allowing my band to talk to me instead of me overtalking it! I will measure up!

GISELE - I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD You found us. Misery loves company and I am confident that we can all turn from Misery to ULTIMATE SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME!!!!!!!

I think you are on the right track with measuring everything and using your band as a tool. Out of curiosity, when were you banded and what has your progress looked like? Do you have restriction at all?

I think that in addition to making the right decisions on the quality and quantity of the food, we need the band to HELP US, with that quantity restrictions.

Hi Fellow Strugglers,

I'm bursting with PRIDE so I have to tell!! I actually worked out again today after work - I wasnt sure I could do it since I was SO TIRED and I just wanted to eat and sleep - but I ate, and an hour later, forced myself to go for Tae Kwondo - 1 hour. Now I am so glad I DID!!! Wuhuuuuuuuuu

What are your successes so far, this week, fellow strugglers????

WIERD QUESTION - Has anyone else noticed how long their food is lasting???? I cooked 1 of rice (1 cup uncooked) and I only eat a quarter cup per meal - usually just at dinner, and the cooked quantity is NOT going down - I may have to toss it and learn to cook 1/2 a cup each time!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the band - 1 cup uncooked rice would last me one or TWO meals - I am NOT exaggerating!!!!

Webkat - WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME - How is your appetite? Are you getting any restriction from the band??

Those are great goals I particularly love the tracking of everything you eat. I am using www.fitday.com and I LOOOOVE it.

The working out everyday - what does workout mean to you?

Posting everyday...

I am excited for you WebKat and I am confident you will be successful. We will be successful!!!!!!!!!!!! now get working on those goals!!! :whistle: :tt1:

Thank you!

I have probably a normal appetite. I don't have quite enough restriction yet-- close but not quite. I am going in for another fill next week.

I have a fitday account too. It's been so long since I logged in that they have made a lot of changes to it. LOL

Working out every day to me is the goal of getting on the treadmill for 5 minutes (to start). I have pain before I ever get on it. So, it's a real struggle just to talk myself into doing that much. The most important thing I want to accomplish is to create the habit. I was at work for 10 hours today, plus a commute, but I WILL go down and get on the treadmill as soon as I'm done with this post.

I know from experience that posting and being held accountable by my fellow bandsters here helps me A LOT. For example I probably would have skipped my work out because it's been a rough day. But writing about it here makes me say "Hey, I can go put in just 5 min and get it over with".

I thought I was doing good on my food today but when I logged my foods I found out some horrible news. The very delicious 20 oz butter rum eggnog latte that was packed with 24 grams of Protein was also packed with a whopping 849 calories and 47 grams of fat!!!! Holy crap!!! :tt1: I had no idea it was that bad. That's why journaling every bite is so good for me. I won't do that again.

WIERD QUESTION - Has anyone else noticed how long their food is lasting???? I cooked 1 of rice (1 cup uncooked) and I only eat a quarter cup per meal - usually just at dinner, and the cooked quantity is NOT going down - I may have to toss it and learn to cook 1/2 a cup each time!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the band - 1 cup uncooked rice would last me one or TWO meals - I am NOT exaggerating!!!!

I'm right there with you. 1 cup uncooked rice was 2 meals tops for me. Now if I eat rice I get too stuffed and can't eat much my meat. When I eat the right foods, with no liquids, small portions can last for a long time. Even liquids last longer than they used to. Yeah for the band!:whistle:

Hi Fellow Strugglers,

I'm bursting with PRIDE so I have to tell!! I actually worked out again today after work - I wasnt sure I could do it since I was SO TIRED and I just wanted to eat and sleep - but I ate, and an hour later, forced myself to go for Tae Kwondo - 1 hour. Now I am so glad I DID!!! Wuhuuuuuuuuu

What are your successes so far, this week, fellow strugglers????

Good job!!! Congratulations!:tt1:

Thanks for inviting me to take part in your thread - I am definitely a "poster child" for lap band failure. I have not given the band a fair chance - I have admitted that all along; however, I do feel like I have made enough changes that I should have seen SOME weight loss. For those of you that don't know my sob story, I had my surgery in May of 2007, and am the same weight now as I was the day of surgery. Yes, I know, it's an accomplishment that I haven't gained, and without the band, I'm sure I would've; however, I am very disappointed, depressed, disgusted, etc. that I haven't seen any weight loss. And, I do worry about what others think, and maybe I shouldn't, but I do. I wanted to be proud of myself and have others be proud of me as well, but that hasn't happened. I have a 4cc band, and have had 6 fills at the clinic where my surgeon is employed, although I haven't seen him since the day after surgery -- might I add that I had never seen him prior to surgery either. (My surgeon went off on medical leave with a brain tumor a couple of weeks before my insurance approval - so I agreed to have one of his partners do the surgery, not realizing that I wouldn't get to meet him before he did the surgery.) So, this didn't make a very good impression on me, and then not seeing him since surgery (almost 2 years) hasn't set well either. Finally, this week I went to see a new doctor that is much closer to my home. He used to do gastric bypass surgeries, but has quit doing them because of the riskiness. He is a general surgeon, but does lap-band fills. I liked him; however, after meeting him, I am questioning more things than I did before. First, the bariatric clinic would only give me 1/4 to 1/2 cc fills at a time. When I went to see the new doctor on Monday, I had 3 or 3.25 cc in my 4 cc band. He gave me a fill that consisted of 1.5 cc! I was in total shock. He said that he gives fills until he meets some resistance from the band, and then he backs off a little. So, I am assuming that my band is at its max or close to it. I left the office feeling very sure that this was going to give me the fresh start I have been longing for. It didn't take me long to realize that i now have NO restriction. I mean NONE, I can eat just like I could before the surgery. Since the band has been part of my life, one thing I always noticed was that it definitely controlled my portions - I could eat very minimal portions; however, I didn't always choose healthy foods. The new doctor did ask if I have had an upper GI since the band placement, and I haven't, other than the 1 they give you before you can be discharged from the hospital the day following surgery. He said we may have to do that to be sure it's in the right place. I called his office yesterday to report the loss of restriction, and I'm still waiting for a call back. Does anyone know what could've happened to cause the complete loss of restriction that I feel? It has me concerned, and instead of being excited about the fresh start, I feel like I've taken yet another step backwards! Arghhh! Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post - I'm really frustrated. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

skhopp:hang in there. Hopefully you will be able to get the upper gi to check on your band. You should have some kind of restriction by now. Keep up the good work, because you are doing well if you have no restriction and have not gained anything!